A good clown character or a character who refuses to be categorized with "ally" or "villain" labels

Jemini

Either way works for me, I am mostly looking for well implemented characters portrayed in a purely written format. I admire the character archetype, but all of the actual GOOD ones I'm aware of came about from visual media. (2 of the best I'm aware of are Hisoka from Hunter X Hunter who is exactly what I'm looking for in a clown character, and Zellos from Slayers who's a great example of what I'm talking about with "refuses to be categorized.")

Before we get going on this, I am aware of the Moderate Clown Troupe from reincarnated as a slime, as well as (of course) Pennywise from Stephen King's "It." Neither of those are really what I'm looking for. I'm looking for actual clowns, not threatening figures that happen to be wearing clown makeup.

Here in lies the problem. The two examples of excellent characters of this type are both from visual media. The ones I named that were a miss had their origins in a purely written media. The purely written media seems to kill something about the clown character. I'm hoping to find someone out there who has somehow gotten around this limitation. So, I'm looking for some kind of clown character or questionably aligned and somewhat comedic character who is in something that is purely written. Hoping to see some good ones, but I don't care if they are still at the same level as the ones I said were a miss. (Just, please warn me if they are at the level I might consider a miss.)

Jesse.S.Pierce

Zote from Hollow Knight
brave_6GJmkBSk2P.png

Doesn't fit the written format criteria you asked for but I'm still posting this.