A guy who eats monsters - choose your MC! xD

Choose your MC!

• Chef MC who loves cooking - the story would have a lot of cooking details

• Ordinary MC who just eats monsters to survive and get stronger

Results are only viewable after voting.

ConstanTeen

So, other than a cultivator in the RPG world there's another great idea I have and want to try writing - MC from Earth is transported to another world with a System. And his Class gives him the ability to gain powers from monsters he eats. But here's the thing - I'm not sure if I should make the MC a Chef who actually cooks the monsters before eating them, in this case, it would be necessary to describe the cooking process in detail. Or should he just eat them raw, or sometimes cooking, but just at the basic level like frying them and that's it? In other words, should I make the monster-eating MC into a Chef who enjoys cooking and is a master of it, or should he just be an ordinary guy who eats monsters casually?

BTW, in both cases, he would gain monster powers and would use them to his advantage. Please help me decide.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I will be unfair for you, if you create a cooking MC, it might get turned into a slice of life jokey novel and it heavily relies on the author, you, to bring the interesting cooking portions out. You can try and balance between fluffy moments and grisly fight scenes, which is another difficult part.

Because lets face it, for monster eaters, we already have Demigod Rou, Hajime, Rimuru and generic af 2D MCs.

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
So, other than a cultivator in the RPG world there's another great idea I have and want to try writing - MC from Earth is transported to another world with a System. And his Class gives him the ability to gain powers from monsters he eats. But here's the thing - I'm not sure if I should make the MC a Chef who actually cooks the monsters before eating them, in this case, it would be necessary to describe the cooking process in detail. Or should he just eat them raw, or sometimes cooking, but just at the basic level like frying them and that's it? In other words, should I make the monster-eating MC into a Chef who enjoys cooking and is a master of it, or should he just be an ordinary guy who eats monsters casually?

BTW, in both cases, he would gain monster powers and would use them to his advantage. Please help me decide.
In my professional opinion i believe leave it raw just because you don't want to explain why the cooking process didn't change up the nutrition. Cooking is chemistry there is a chemical reaction happening that changes the meat on the small scale as well as large scale. If he eats it raw he may get sick but at least he still gets all the nutrition. Plus you can describe how bloody it is and scare some weaklings off in the process.
I will be unfair for you, if you create a cooking MC, it might get turned into a slice of life jokey novel and it heavily relies on the author, you, to bring the interesting cooking portions out. You can try and balance between fluffy moments and grisly fight scenes, which is another difficult part.

Because lets face it, for monster eaters, we already have Demigod Rou, Hajime, Rimuru and generic af 2D MCs.
give it a chance. It may become a gemstone but if you say that right off the bat then you're telling them to stop polishing a diamond. Writing is about learning & and expressing. let them express themselves while figuring out what they should change.

Draconite

Exist in the void
If you make the chef one just explained that cooking it will help him absorb abilities better

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
In my professional opinion i believe leave it raw just because you don't want to explain why the cooking process didn't change up the nutrition. Cooking is chemistry there is a chemical reaction happening that changes the meat on the small scale as well as large scale. If he eats it raw he may get sick but at least he still gets all the nutrition. Plus you can describe how bloody it is and scare some weaklings off in the process.

give it a chance. It may become a gemstone but if you say that right off the bat then you're telling them to stop polishing a diamond. Writing is about learning & and expressing. let them express themselves while figuring out what they should change.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ldoronoco

I'd say Chef that cooks monsters, from my perspective it allows for more routes like he has to journey south to find herbs that compliment a particular dish or he storms a mine with dwarfs to get mine-salt

Novellover

Hmm My Advice would be To Take an Stab At It And Try And Find what Direction you want the story to go If it’s Fluffy slice of life then Perhaps Cooking is the path or An Fluffy Dark Slice Of life eating it raw together with companion Or Rather try and Define an Border on What YOU the Author want in their story That would dictates The Story direction an Clearcut Approach What Are The MCs Past? That would define Their Personality the most says You want an Action Story with Grimdark element try Studying The Genre You’re trying for in particular After all Cliche may be Cliche but It is But an Tool One We must learn to utilize Well That’s my Advice Take it as you will Hope you have an Great time writing here
09D8F806-ED9F-4D29-BBC9-392D5EB3F6B8.jpeg

Feel free to ask me For advice if you need :)
Trying To define your Character ahead of time May or May not Be Detrimental But Well It’s an Mix I suppose The Kind I want is an Happy Fluffy Grimdark Story with The journey of 2 Companions Eating Monster meat together

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Why not both? Like have your MC start off not learning how cooking works and basically just eat it raw. Couple of chaps later, he begins to regain his humanity back and starts cooking monsters due to his appetite had slowly grown dull and needs a spice.

WingedWolf

There are more ways this could go. He doesn't know how to cook and makes all sorts of funny amateurish mistakes as she struggles to learn. Or he's an absolutely terrible cook. And perhaps he can combine different sorts of monster meat to get different abilities, and - for the lolz - the more atrocious the combination the better the result.

Reactions: S10

scribbledoutname

Personally, I don't mind cooks but (a) I'm not a fan of reading about cooking itself, except when it's glossed over and (b) I don't like it when series focus on food over the plot, so my knee-jerk reaction is to say that I'd rather just read an MC who eats monsters outright. But both can definitely work.
This is a manga
Already
Don't be that guy.

A while back -- I'm talking early to mid 2010s -- everyone was just writing isekais/LitRPGs and posting them online for fun. I did, too, and I enjoyed reading whatever people could put out (still do). Everyone drew from the same pool of game tropes and used them to write their own stories. Now that a few mangas and animes have hit mainstream popularity, you've got people coming out of the woodwork and accusing writers of copying them or being unoriginal when these stories aren't original to begin with. They just became better known.

And putting that aside, what manga do you mean? Treat Of Reincarnation: The Advent Of The Almighty Pastry Chef? Restaurant To Another World? Isekai Izakaya: Japanese Food From Another World? Garbage Hero: A Revenge Story Of A Hero Who Got Summoned To Another World? See my point? There are plenty already and there's room for more.

Last edited:

Businesssn

Brick-San the god of wholesome hentai
Personally, I don't mind cooks but (a) I'm not a fan of reading about cooking itself, except when it's glossed over and (b) I don't like it when series focus on food over the plot, so my knee-jerk reaciton is to say that I'd rather just read an MC who eats monsters outright. But both can definitely work.

Don't be that guy.

A while back -- I'm talking early to mid 2010s -- everyone was just writing isekais/LitRPGs and posting them online for fun. I did, too, and I enjoyed reading whatever people could put out (still do). Everyone drew from the same pool of game tropes and used them to write their own stories. Now that a few mangas and animes have hit mainstream popularity, you've got people coming out of the woodwork and accusing writers of copying them when these stories aren't original to begin with. They just became better known.

And putting that aside, what manga do you mean? Treat Of Reincarnation: The Advent Of The Almighty Pastry Chef? Restaurant To Another World? Isekai Izakaya: Japanese Food From Another World? Garbage Hero: A Revenge Story Of A Hero Who Got Summoned To Another World? See my point? There are plenty already and there's room for more.
No I mean exactly from what he said. Mc cooks monsters to eat and their is a manga with that plot

Businesssn

Brick-San the god of wholesome hentai
Personally, I don't mind cooks but (a) I'm not a fan of reading about cooking itself, except when it's glossed over and (b) I don't like it when series focus on food over the plot, so my knee-jerk reaciton is to say that I'd rather just read an MC who eats monsters outright. But both can definitely work.

Don't be that guy.

A while back -- I'm talking early to mid 2010s -- everyone was just writing isekais/LitRPGs and posting them online for fun. I did, too, and I enjoyed reading whatever people could put out (still do). Everyone drew from the same pool of game tropes and used them to write their own stories. Now that a few mangas and animes have hit mainstream popularity, you've got people coming out of the woodwork and accusing writers of copying them or being unoriginal when these stories aren't original to begin with. They just became better known.

scribbledoutname

Yeah, I get you now ^^ I thought you were suggesting that he was being unoriginal and he shouldn't write the story.

ConstanTeen

Thanks for your answers, everyone!

Honestly, I rarely read the slice of life genre as it gets boring to me fast, so writing one would be impossible for me. xD

I want to make a gritty story with slightly psycho MC, if it's a cook, then he'll be Mad Chef (it's like Mad Scientist... but Chef) and the same as Mad Science doesn't make sense from scientific point of view, his cooking wouldn't make sense from common sense perspective. For example, he would use completely terribly looking and smelling ingredients to make something extremely delicious. Or, on the contrary, he would make something that smells and looks good but tastes like shit while giving powerful abilities.

Oh, I should definitely read it before writing this story. There's a difference though - I want to make an isekai LitRPG story, plus the MC would be able to take the form of the monsters he eats and even read their memories. According to the description, this story seems to be focused on cooking.

Greydra

I suggest that the guy should cook the monsters, but not on an advanced level. Just enough for it to be a civilized meal... as much as eating monster meat can be called "civilized". And have him do some other stuff as well, like having a pet that he shares his food with.

And one more thing: don't let the MC get ALL the abilities of the other monsters. I can expect a mess of an ability-list or whatever you are going to call it. If he eats a reptile monster, then he shouldn't be able to grow scales all of a sudden, but that ability can be used to improve armor or something like that. And if he eats a poison-monster, then he's probably going to die if he doesn't have poison resistance.

Plus, eating weapons, or even the undead, shouldn't give him abilities. Weapons are obvious, but the undead is the opposite of the living, so I can expect things going bad if he did dare eating one of them and got some undead-abilities that make him stop being a living human.

And let the MC have some demerits to balance that eating-ability. Like, if the abilities have levels or something similar, then he needs to stack multiple of those abilities for the level to increase, while others can simply train theirs.

Then, this class shouldn't have any combat-related skills or whatever, as "just" getting abilities by eating is almost too big of an advantage already. You could also give the class the ability to create dishes that temporarily improves one's status values, which can be used on others as well.

Finally: how about adding evolutions to the story? The MC could unlock evolution options that other humans can't take based on his diet. Like, he could evolve into a harpy or a naga if he eats too many birds or snakes.