A huge collab story anyone?

Carpio

Do you know what's cool? Collaborations of anything were each person add their own thing. I kinda want to start a somewhat public account where authors write their own characters and we can make it a giant war(this idea in no way is original, I took it from the War for Rayuba and I really want to try and see happen). We can go over the final details later but who's on with the idea? It also gives a chance for less known and bigger authors to work together and is less dependant on schedule constraints as anyone who is open can write a chapter.

Last edited:

Jemini

Interested, but it needs refining.

I second this.

It's interesting in theory, but the terms in the OP will absolutely not work. It's a train-wreck waiting to happen as it fails to consider several key weaknesses in human nature.

It needs to somehow account for the fact that each writer will naturally favor their own character in some way. It also needs to account for differences in writing skill level. But, most of all, it needs to somehow arrange all of this into some kind of plot.

If we were to write this story like a bunch of headless chickens, it will ultimately wind up making about as much sense as we might get from a "1 word story" forum game.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
It needs a twist, like everyone gets to create a character but another member then needs to write those parts or some other limitations so it doesn't end with "I planet bustered everyone and saved the day. END"

LORD_SHAXX

Do you know what's cool? Collaborations of anything were each person add their own thing. I kinda want to start a somewhat public account where authors write their own characters and we can make it a giant war(this idea in no way is original, I took it from the War for Rayuba and I really want to try and see happen). We can go over the final details later but who's on with the idea? It also gives a chance for less known and bigger authors to work together and is less dependant on schedule constraints as anyone who is open can write a chapter.
I'm down

Amok

grblbrbl
Sure, sounds interesting. Even starting with a reduxed arena format before moving on to planet-spanning wars can be a good practice run. What can also work is having at least two characters within a faction, regardless of rank, adding depth and encouraging cooperation.

Kraken1

I am interested but it will depend on the fine details if I join. Mostly concerning genre and the like. It could be interesting depending on how it is done.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
That might be a good way to help me get back into writing. No Discord, though. I find that program too distracting.

Golden-Hawk

It needs a twist, like everyone gets to create a character but another member then needs to write those parts or some other limitations so it doesn't end with "I planet bustered everyone and saved the day. END"
What if the characters have multiply personality disorders or something like that. We could have it that they all escape some sort of lab that they were test subjects for. In the process, though their minds have become fragmented meaning that they now view each other as enemies and turn on each other. This gives us the conflict between them and at the same time we could gloss over any minor mistakes when we use other peoples characters because their not mentally stable

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
It does sound interesting to do but as people said above, it needs limitations and the rule needs to be set.

It could work, I have seen it work but the story was a fanfiction crossover between Magical Lyrical Nanoha and Fate (with Shirou being the target of affection), and it was an absolute delight to read. It was several authors working on the same character though, while some chapters were clearly behind on others on quality and style, the plot somehow intertwined since every author considers others' writing chapter is also the real event in the story.

The real concern here is you want to have a war here, and in every war, there are a lot of things to consider. Heck, I did war arc in my own fanfic and that's really really painful to me to go through all the detail.

Western42

....I may be Insane....
I'm game, as I am interested to see how this works out. Just let me know when you have the rules set.

Venusaur26

Well, this would eventually lead to some major fights…

Plantorsomething

I think it should be pretty small scale since world building will be difficult to collaborate on, but it totally sounds fun! Maybe a big tournament arc kinda like Rayuba?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

You have never been in a project before?

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
Start a discord server, make a world/story bible, get authors to write vignettes/contribute short stories that fit in that world. I'm interested because my preference is towards tighter, shorter works.