Recommendations A mc who genuinely cares about others.

LotsChrono

I noticed that in so many novels, the mc never helps people or if he does, he does it with ulterior motives. I have seen very few novels with an mc who genuinely cares about others.
It’s usually hard, for new writers especially, to make that work without making their MC seem like a doormat or just plain stupid and naive. That is my theory on why something like that is in few Webnovels.

Though, that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. And,I’ve seen even the ones with ulterior motives show moments of pure kindness, usually in a “save the cat” scenario, however, purposefully used to make him or her likeable.

Last edited:

Tessa_Renalds

Neighborhood DM
I don’t want to shamelessly plug... I do have a fan fiction from FFXIV dealing with the warrior of light who helps people. Sometimes she does it for money, other times she does it to help out the community. Not sure if that’s something you’d be interested in:

But I do agree with LotsChrono; writing for a caring protagonist is hard—it’s a fine line between naivety and getting heavily manipulated. How does one properly walk that. I have difficulty with it from time to time. Oof.
well shameless plug over. Hope you find some great recommendations!

BlackFrost

It’s usually hard, for new writers especially, to make that work without making their MC seem like a doormat or just plain stupid and naive. That is my theory on why something like that is few Webnovels.

Though, that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. And, I’ve seen even the ones with ulterior motives show moments of pure kindness, usually in a “save the cat” scenario though, purposefully used to make him or her likeable.
Yeah, that's true. At first, when i read light novels, i could find some where the mc isn't exactly all good but he isn't really all that bad either. But my expextations are a bit high because i watched i'm used to seeing anime like naruti, one piece, black clover, the serwph of the end etc... These are where the mc actually cares about people. These kind of mc are mostly in shounen anime, but i guess writing novels in shounen style is a bit hard.

BlackFrost

I don’t want to shamelessly plug... I do have a fan fiction from FFXIV dealing with the warrior of light who helps people. Sometimes she does it for money, other times she does it to help out the community. Not sure if that’s something you’d be interested in:

But I do agree with LotsChrono; writing for a caring protagonist is hard—it’s a fine line between naivety and getting heavily manipulated. How does one properly walk that. I have difficulty with it from time to time. Oof.
well shameless plug over. Hope you find some great recommendations!
Sounds interesting, i'll check it out.

OkuraTsukiko

[Peace was never an option]
Well, my MC is like that, and sometimes she would do it without a second thought. Even though she's planning something that involves people around her, she would point herself as the wrong-doer and not the people involved

BlackFrost

Well, my MC is like that, and sometimes she would do it without a second thought. Even though she's planning something that involves people around her, she would point herself as the wrong-doer and not the people involved
Wow really, she sounds like she hates herself or something. I'll check it out.

D

Deleted member 25179

I would've shamelessly recommended my own novel as well, but ah, it belongs to a very niche genre.

tridetect

I feel as though many people believe a nice main character has to be hopelessly naive or do everything good for the sake of justice when that's not the case. It's not very hard to make a nice main character, or a nice character at all. Back then people used to think it was difficult to write a grey character but now look around, they're pretty much everywhere. Anyway, my story Progressive 2nd has a nice main character you might like.

LimitBound

Saint
By that, do you mean that you know novels like the one i'm looking for?
Well not usually on this site (probably cuz people here want to create something else than kind MCs and stuff, there may be a few but I can't remember them lol) but there's a lot of Japanese novels with a protagonist that cares about other and is very kind (?)

LostLibrarian

I would say 80% of all jp harem webnovels have that exact MC where he just saves girls because he is nice. People got so fed up with it that nearly every MC without clear ulterior motive is just labeled "beta"... xD

FlutterOfCrows

I'll recommend my story as well, two out of my three protags fit this well, though it might be a niche genre, so up to yall.