A path of a story, how do I continue?

JDC_OnPaper

I started writing a novel, the beginning would become a Political thriller, chess moves here and there. Manipulation here and there, 1000 IQ moves here and there from the MC and other antagonists. But the problem is, That's the start, and the story isn't mostly political thriller(Fiction). How do I continue?

The novel is supposed to be an Adventure-esque, Anti-hero (seemingly evil MC), meaning MC has to go on this Adventure and whatnot. But to me, the start is hella good, it starts off showing MC's mental abilities but not Physical abilities. Then, after that arc, MC is now on the vast world and would most probably do what most Isekai MC's do. How do I continue from there, without degrading such a good start for a story?
I have worldbuilding of course, My problem would be, how do I continue without degrading?

Any help, Thanks very much!

Last edited:

Akaichi

That's the question that all writers ask. Many make good begennings. Few make good endings. And yet fewer make a good middle section.

Deathilim

I started writing a novel, the beginning would become a Political thriller, chess moves here and there. Manipulation here and there, 1000 IQ moves here and there from the MC and other antagonists. But the problem is, That's the start, and the story isn't mostly political thriller(Fiction). How do I continue?

The novel is supposed to be an Adventure-esque, Anti-hero (seemingly evil MC), meaning MC has to go on this Adventure and whatnot. But to me, the start is hella good, it starts off showing MC's mental abilities but not Physical abilities. Then, after that arc, MC is now on the vast world and would most probably do what most Isekai MC's do. How do I continue from there, without degrading such a good start for a story?
I have worldbuilding of course, My problem would be, how do I continue without degrading?

Any help, Thanks very much!
I personally don't know what to advice you, but if you would like some reference or inspiration try and read Lord of The Mysteries.

Arc 2 has the MC focus on being a detective basically crime + thriller + fantasy.

And Arc 3 straight up changes to adventure and action.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
My idea would be to let MC "lose" the first arc resulting in a backstory and a motivation for the adventuring part. Maybe foreshadow a few later plot twists or important characters here and there, set the mood and tone for the story.

Maybe MC had a plan for losing the power chess, maybe he seeks some mcguffins that could turn the tables, or maybe all of this adventuring is just part of their masterplan and only there to let their opponents focus on them instead of sniffing out their plan.

There's a lot you could do with this start.