A Question about Upgrading my Laptop

Planning to upgrade my laptop's CPU, vid card, & grahics card.

• Yay?

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Nay?

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Lenovo ideapad 320-15lKB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80GHz
4.00 GB (3.88 GB usable) RAM
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

---

Since we got no tech place here, I decided to ask here. If anybody can explain to me the specifics or if it's at all possible to upgrade the CPU of a laptop, please do be kind. I am boggled by this techy stuff.

memed

I'm sure you can't upgrade that laptop's CPU and all that stuff. If you want a truly upgradeable computer, get a desktop. Most laptops' parts that are upgradeable are only the RAM and the Storage (Hard Disk). However, there are some laptops with upgradeable CPUs and GPUs. Definitely not with Lenovo laptops though.

0xReki

High-End Models with Thunderbolt could be extended with some external GPU solution. but yours doesn't have thunderbolt.

Why are you looking at the CPU specifically?

The CPU of most laptops is soldered to the mainboard so you can’t upgrade it.
There are laptop that let you upgrade the CPU but they are mostly high-end business or gaming laptops (Alienware Area 51 for $2500).

You might want to upgrade the RAM. From what I've read the standard 4GB are soldered on and you should have an additional empty memory slot left where you can install a maximum of 8GB.

If don't don't have an SSD, get one too.

Why do you want to upgrade in the first place? Is the laptop too slow?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
sell for seed money, work a job, save money and buy something with bigger numbers

worked for me

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Why do you want to upgrade in the first place? Is the laptop too slow?
Not sure what happened but something is eating up my ram since the last couple windows updates. Someone suggested I upgrade my RAM, which you also suggested. From there, I wondered if it's possible to upgrade the rest.

I would suggest to update your RAM to at least 8GB. And install an SSD if you don’t have one already.

If you want to update anything else you’ll have to buy a new laptop.

When did you last turn your Laptop off properly (not sleep or hibernate)? If I have my PC running for too long without restart Windows will always develop some weird bugs.

Using the task manager (Ctrl + Shift + ESC) you can check what program is using how much RAM. Chrome like to eat RAM if you open multiple tabs.

Reactions: Igi

Igi

Like it was advised before, RAM and SSD. If you have a free slot put another 4GB or more. SSD makes the biggest difference concerning the speed of access. I replaced my old mechanical HDD with 12GB SSD, and it was like a new computer.
If You are running Win10 x64, you definitely need more RAM.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Thanks, guys. I already asked for an estimate and I'm currently saving up for the upgrades. SSD and RAM it is.