A question: Have you ever build a character inspired by close friend?

Moon

Hello everyone, greetings from newbie~

Ok, so here it comes the random question! :blob_whistle:

So I have this friend whom I met at game and he has that kind of temperament that suit to every Male Lead in romance novel. I felt inspired by him and made up a whole adventure-romance story of us. By the end of the story, I felt weird. Maybe because there is explicit scenes between the FL and ML. Tbh, I feel super satisfied with my story plot, but then I felt shy to even greet him at game! Though we usually catch up with each other via LINE and stuff, now Im growing awkward. Lol.

Have you ever experience it? Was it bad to grow a story over real life person? Should we ask their consent over we build a character based on their characteristic? And how do you deal with the aftertaste feeling? Pls help this confused newbie~ :sweating_profusely:

sak-chii

Professional Procrastinator (Writer)
Oh i also had that experience... just not irl friend

I had asked him about writing a story based on him and he said no...

So i think its better or at least safer to ask and discuss him about this.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
I don’t see any problem with that as long as you don’t try to assume their preference and secrets that you didn’t know.

Well, I’ve never written a friend into my fiction but I’ve written their avatars ( author insert ) into my short story. He seems pretty cool about it, but maybe that’s because we are both writers.

L0pez

Your perception of him is subjective, a character based on him is probably just exaggeration of his real perks.

As for whether it is wrong to base story on real people
I don't think so, cause as i said above, it will get too subjective to feel personal about it unless you'll go into some kind of deep psychological vivisection of such character.

TLCsDestiny

So I have this friend whom I met at game and he has that kind of temperament that suit to every Male Lead in romance novel. I felt inspired by him and made up a whole adventure-romance story of us. By the end of the story, I felt weird. Maybe because there is explicit scenes between the FL and ML. Tbh, I feel super satisfied with my story plot, but then I felt shy to even greet him at game! Though we usually catch up with each other via LINE and stuff, now Im growing awkward. Lol.

Have you ever experience it? Was it bad to grow a story over real life person? Should we ask their consent over we build a character based on their characteristic? And how do you deal with the aftertaste feeling? Pls help this confused newbie~ :sweating_profusely:

I believe that characters can be based of anyone. Even if you take that person's charisma, then that person's looks. Most of my leads in my stories have a certain part of myself and because of this, it's easier to write them. Anonym is my want, Loralle is my curiousity, Mahnu is my depression and stubborness, Sahara is a lot of me...When it comes to other people, I try and stick to them having a particular personal trait, but yes, sometimes I take jokes that a friend has made (if it fits the character) sometimes I use looks from a rl person...
The fact that you are having troubles now with your story...It might be because you have thought that way about that person and since it's become something more real, then just thoughts, you are a bit uncertain. Some people might like it, some don't...Me, I'd be blunt and state what I've done because I can't keep a secret and don't like acting weird. If he doesn't like it then...I'm used to not having friends lol. You may be different but don't forget, the story is something you've written and you put in a lot of thought and to be honest, would it have come about if it wasn't for him?
If he's a real friend (even though this one is a game friend) he might get over it being creepy and might even read it...I dunno...
Otherwise, you'll probably continue feeling the way you do until something comes out...

bananapink

The Sickly Banana

It's alright to draw inspiration from someone close to you, the question is how far are you willing to develop the character? If you are determined to develop it until the end then whatever scenes may come should not deter you from writing, well you may feel awkward because it is your first time, so long as you separate the real life and your 'character' you'll be fine. I mean your inspiration and your personal opinion. As for asking their consent, yes, people may have a different reaction but if they really do not want to be in your story then don't put them there.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ

Duuuuude. I make my friends into villains in my stories and they love it. That being said, I don't think it's bad for you to write a character based on someone. If it bothers you, tell them. Usually, I don't really since I don't copy them completely. I get bits and pieces from my friends and insert them into my characters. I do show them though and they think it's a hoot.

tak

I've wrote a story based on my classmates. like just change names, but I didn't tell them. it started as my friend 'jokingly' told me that girl A is liked by B and C, who is best friends. and wow, what a story idea.
I stopped because turns out it's not a joke, one of them really like A, and so I'm bullying them with writing the story?? and sometimes reality sync with my writing? so I get scared and stop.

Moon

Thank you, everyone, for the honest reply! It's really nice to hear it coming in! :blob_happy::blob_happy:

Oh i also had that experience... just not irl friend

I had asked him about writing a story based on him and he said no...

So i think its better or at least safer to ask and discuss him about this.

Ty! Tbh, I got the inspiration from playing the game and getting close with the member. So I decided to ask for their permission and left them a message to let me know if they refuse to be included on my character profile. I still have to build confidence in asking this certain person who becomes my inspiration as the certain Male Lord. Urgh :blob_dizzy::blob_no:

To be frank, I've had an ex-friend who wrote stories about me. She worked me into her fiction and expected me to feel flattered and excited but I just felt creeped out and uncomfortable, and it definitely felt like it was crossing a line of propriety. In all honesty, it's kind of a creepy and gross thing to do - or it is to me, as someone who has had that happen to me. I think the fact that this is impacting your ability to have even casual chats with him in the game shows that you understand that what you did was kind of gross too.

We draw inspiration from people around us all the time, but I don't build entire characters based off one person and everything about them - I pick parts of real people I know to add depth and realism to my characters that I feel suit them, or to root my characters actions in things that feel real (because they are real). But when you're basically writing real person fic with the names swapped out, you're completely objectifying and fetishising a real person and that's uh, that's weird dude.

This probably wasn't fun to read but, you know, I have personal experience of being in the same shoes as your friend, so I guess I just want you to know how it may feel to someone who has had this happen to them. 🤷‍♂️

Thank you so much for sharing this with me! I know I have been feeling guilty all along because of this hahaha. I don't want this to turn us from good to bad just because of misunderstanding. But, I don't know if it makes you better, but having somebody who could inspire us to write a whole new story is really amazing. It's like the story pours in by itself and you just can't help it. But I'll make sure to keep it under propriety and be sure to ask for their consent! Noted!

I don’t see any problem with that as long as you don’t try to assume their preference and secrets that you didn’t know.

Well, I’ve never written a friend into my fiction but I’ve written their avatars ( author insert ) into my short story. He seems pretty cool about it, but maybe that’s because we are both writers.

I'm sorry I don't really get what you meant about assuming their preference and secrets I didn't know hehehe :blob_melt::blob_no:

The one I'm adapting from him is the way he talks and the way he thinks. It's all of course from my objective point of view, I might not portray his real self at all, because after all we never met, and all of our interaction are those in game and group chat. I'm kind of building a character out of his images in my mind. Oh and if its help, I'm writing in Historical Romance setting, so there will be a lot of alteration in the character development. But still.. the explicit scenes making me huuuuf. :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

Your perception of him is subjective, a character based on him is probably just exaggeration of his real perks.

As for whether it is wrong to base story on real people
I don't think so, cause as i said above, it will get too subjective to feel personal about it unless you'll go into some kind of deep psychological vivisection of such character.

He is just too awesomely evil that I couldn't help to write a story about him! :blob_catflip::blob_catflip:

The fact that you are having troubles now with your story...It might be because you have thought that way about that person and since it's become something more real, then just thoughts, you are a bit uncertain. Some people might like it, some don't...Me, I'd be blunt and state what I've done because I can't keep a secret and don't like acting weird. If he doesn't like it then...I'm used to not having friends lol. You may be different but don't forget, the story is something you've written and you put in a lot of thought and to be honest, would it have come about if it wasn't for him?
If he's a real friend (even though this one is a game friend) he might get over it being creepy and might even read it...I dunno...
Otherwise, you'll probably continue feeling the way you do until something comes out...

Hehe, I got caught! It's a bud that couldn't be blossomed. Maybe that's why this story is one way to relieve the feelings. :blob_pout::blob_melt:

Yes, I honestly feel it's amazing to met somebody who could inspire me to write a story like no one before. I'm getting excited and scared at the same time. Mostly excited, that's why I'm looking for advices on how to deal with the aftertaste feelings because I don't want to give up on this precious baby!

It's alright to draw inspiration from someone close to you, the question is how far are you willing to develop the character? If you are determined to develop it until the end then whatever scenes may come should not deter you from writing, well you may feel awkward because it is your first time, so long as you separate the real life and your 'character' you'll be fine. I mean your inspiration and your personal opinion. As for asking their consent, yes, people may have a different reaction but if they really do not want to be in your story then don't put them there.

Noted, Sir! Will learn more about separate the real life person and the character I build over him! :blob_highfive:

Duuuuude. I make my friends into villains in my stories and they love it. That being said, I don't think it's bad for you to write a character based on someone. If it bothers you, tell them. Usually, I don't really since I don't copy them completely. I get bits and pieces from my friends and insert them into my characters. I do show them though and they think it's a hoot.

Cool friends! I'm gonna make a whole new troupe of my gaming friends to be the villain! :blob_aww::blob_aww:

I've wrote a story based on my classmates. like just change names, but I didn't tell them. it started as my friend 'jokingly' told me that girl A is liked by B and C, who is best friends. and wow, what a story idea.
I stopped because turns out it's not a joke, one of them really like A, and so I'm bullying them with writing the story?? and sometimes reality sync with my writing? so I get scared and stop.

Means you are a good observer because you actually saw it coming before them! :blob_uwu::blob_ghost:

Wahyu123

Nope