A Summary Option For Each Chapter?

Ram5

So what do you think? When the reader clicks the chapter on a novel's front page, instead of directly lead to the content, it expands first to show a brief summary of what that chapter is all about.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
So what do you think? When the reader clicks the chapter on a novel's front page, instead of directly lead to the content, it expands first to show a brief summary of what that chapter is all about.
Hard no for me. Why would I encourage readers to not read more since a summary is readily available?

Ace_Arriande

Hard no for me. Why would I encourage readers to not read more since a summary is readily available?
I could kind of see it being useful for readers who might be trying to go back to find a specific chapter, or people who stopped for a while and are trying to find out where they left off at. But yeah, it could also encourage readers to skip forward and give spoilers.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Actually, couldn't this easily be implemented by an author themselves by using the spoiler function? Like, just start off with a spoiler that you label 'description of chapter' or something and then readers could open that?

keitaro-sempai

The First Will's Origin
Actually, couldn't this easily be implemented by an author themselves by using the spoiler function? Like, just start off with a spoiler that you label 'description of chapter' or something and then readers could open that?
Pretty much.
I doubt authors would also want to write a summary for every single chapter they write either. As long as the title isn't something like "chapter 1", the title itself is likely to be a psuedo-summary
I second that. For anyone looking for a specific chapter, titles should do the work just fine.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
gotta agree with the others, implementing a specific function for chapter descriptions isn't worth the effort.
This is easy to do and can be easily replicated each chapter, or even be used as an announcement or authors note.

Not to mention not all webnovels have a standard length, I go around 2.5-3.5k words but someone might have a 1k word average, others may just be all overt he place, which is why we have such a wide birth when it comes to customizing things on our own terms with the SH editor and if you want something fancy, some unicode.
Some chapters do not need a description that can easily be remembered through just reading the chapter. Only in cases like people who post 10k word chapters would I ever think this idea would be necessary, and then again, I have yet to see a story with that high of a word average per chapter.

Cold_Sun

Don't know if it would be smart to have after each chapter, but I'm going to do it for my main story when it returns from hiatus.
It'll be a good way to remind the readers where things were left off!
Thanks for the idea :-D

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
i want to have an option where there's a TL;DR window on the top that's only accessible after reading the whole chapter for pure pointlessness