A thread full of SALT

RaidenInfinity

One who draws catgirls
1591624935349.png

Yes, I was very salty. Blood is salty.
I stepped on the claymore mine and got my legs blown off (metaphorically). So you don't have to do it.

Explanation:
So what happened was, I posted my story on 2nd June with 3 pilot chapters. After 16 hours, the stats were as mentioned in the picture above. Yes, now you might wonder. Wow, you should at least get a spot on the front page days later. But no, or else this thread won't exist.

Now your reaction might be: Uh, maybe you didn't get enough stats to compete with the top 9? Fine, probably. But I checked the entire list of around 150 fictions in the Daily Rising rankings in the next 3 days (3rd June, 4th June, 5th June) and didn't find my story anywhere. It only started to appear on 6th June, but due to the release intervals and the loss of front page new series exposure, it's already in oblivion.

So now, what's the point of this thread? To tell you that THIS HAPPENED and you should take this as a reference to schedule your chapter releases wisely. I do not know about the true inner workings of the system and probably do not intend to blame the existence of such a mechanism, but I am here to tell you that THIS HAPPENED.

What? You don't believe it? Great. Misery loves company.

Post #8:
The point of this thread is to tell you that, you will NOT get into the daily rising list in the FIRST THREE DAYS so avoid mass release of chapters ESPECIALLY to the point you exhaust your backlog.

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Hehehehe, I suspected something like this behind the scenes when I released my most recent story. :blob_hmm: Now I have the confirmation.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Btw, just passing by and see some dream worth crushing.

This is NOT confirmed by Tony himself, so don't get any funny idea that this is the definitive way to game the system. Also, even if this is right, Tony would still change the trending system again anyway.

EchoingRuby

Yeah, the trending algorithm seems to work based on spikes in views, not absolute count. If you go to the Statistics page of a story there's a graph of views over time, and for trending stories there tends to be a recent, large spike.

Example image from today's trending (https://www.scribblehub.com/series/122258/archaic-princess/stats/):

Screenshot_20200609-002542.png

Note that the granularity appears to be around 1 to 2 groupings per day, so in theory the optimum release schedule should be either daily or once every 2 days. This seems to be substantiated based on what stories tend to show up in trending in 1 to 2 day intervals (which is as frequent as theoretically possible), but I'm not a statistician so I can't say it's definitely true.

RaidenInfinity

One who draws catgirls
Yeah, the trending algorithm seems to work based on spikes in views, not absolute count. If you go to the Statistics page of a story there's a graph of views over time, and for trending stories there tends to be a recent, large spike.

The point of this thread is to tell you that, you will NOT get into the daily rising list in the FIRST THREE DAYS so avoid mass release of chapters ESPECIALLY to the point you exhaust your backlog.

Assurbanipal_II

Very impurrrtant lesson. The second one is that rising is relative. :blob_reach: You don't want continuous growth at all. It will destroy you.

Jemini

Yeah, there were several people complaining a while back (myself being one of them) about people gaming the system by writing shorter chapters and then releasing around 4 chapters per day. I remember one person during that period who was even releasing chapters less than 500 words per chapter long, and their story actually really sucked, but it had a constant spot on the trending page due to how much they were gaming the system since they were releasing over 5 chapters per day.

So, it was something that definitely needed to be fixed. It seems the new system also fixed the dominance of long-run series in which a series with over a hundred chapters already dominates due to the simple fact that people binge read their series and stack up the views in a single day quickly. So, the new system actually works really well for new series and actually is far more reflective of showing that the series is actually good and worth while checking out.

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
So, it was something that definitely needed to be fixed
It has not been on nu till date. Maybe sh will be luckier in this regard?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Well... I don't think you should ever exhaust your backlog... >.>

Just release at your own pace and try your best, views will come as you keep making chapters~

LostinMovement

I don't think there will ever come a day when I would worry about being on Trending :ROFLMAO::LOL: So yeah, I'm good.

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

I don't think there will ever come a day when I would worry about being on Trending or rising stories list :ROFLMAO::LOL: So yeah, I'm good.

60% is luck. 40% marketing and knowing when the checks are.:blobtaco: So you may very well one day succeed.