A thread full of SALT

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Marketing? :blob_hmm: What is that? Do you eat it?

Hehehehe, the basic run down is that in 1:30 hour we have the update when the views are checked. The second important information is that trending is relative - though I have the feeling there is a minimum threshold in the algorithm -, which means that if you increase your views from 1 to 10, then it is trending wise worth as much as from 100 to 1000.

You need a short explosive spike to make it into trending tomorrow. The trending list lags behind a two days.

LostinMovement

Hehehehe, the basic run down is that in 1:30 hour we have the update when the views are checked. The second important information is that trending is relative - though I have the feeling there is a minimum threshold in the algorithm -, which means that if you increase your views from 1 to 10, then it is trending wise worth as much as from 100 to 1000.

You need a short explosive spike to make it into trending tomorrow. The trending list lags behind a two days.
I guess that is why updating daily or multiple times a day can get you to Trending fairly easy. I guess if I cared enough I could do it but I prefer doing things at my own pace and writing quality over quantity.

Assurbanipal_II

I guess that is why updating daily or multiple times a day can get you to Trending fairly easy. I guess if I cared enough I could do it but I prefer doing things at my own pace and writing quality over quantity.

Not necessarily. It can bite you in the ass easily. You need daily increasing growth as you measured by relative increase in views, which means if you release daily your views can easily stagnate. You can increase your absolute views, but relative you will flatten, which will make you fall behind upcoming stories.

This what you want in the best case, spikes. You want to go high to fall low the next day. That means you have to beat a lower bar next day. It you stay high two consecutive days, you have to beat your high benchmark and that is difficult. Obviously, it is easier to beat trending if you start from 300 views than from 2000.

1591657019454.png

Assurbanipal_II

[/QUOT

E]
1591657215069.png

1591657190846.png

LostinMovement

Not necessarily. It can bite you in the ass easily. You need daily increasing growth as you measured by relative increase in views, which means if you release daily your views can easily stagnate. You can increase your absolute views, but relative you will flatten, which will make you fall behind upcoming stories.

This what you want in the best case, spikes. You want to go high to fall low the next day. That means you have to beat a lower bar next day. It you stay high two consecutive days, you have to beat your high benchmark and that is difficult. Obviously, it is easier to beat trending if you start from 300 views than from 2000.

View attachment 2885

Oh, thanks @Assurbanipal_II for taking the time to explain this further to me :blob_aww:. I appreciate it.

Now, I get what you are saying. As long you go low, spike, low again and spike again and continue on the same pattern you can get to Trending. I can see how posting daily would 'flatten' the statistics.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
There, there. I didn't get a spot on the rising list, either.

Assurbanipal_II

Oh, thanks @Assurbanipal_II for taking the time to explain this further to me :blob_aww:. I appreciate it.

Now, I get what you are saying. As long you go low, spike, low again and spike again and continue on the same pattern you can get to Trending. I can see how posting daily would 'flatten' the statistics.

Glad to be of use. :blob_reach: Being on trending isn't that useful though. At least not for everyone. Despite being on trending, my story was practically scorned. Where others easily got 5k - 6k views, I could barely scratch 2k.

Apparently, I didn't have enough harem for the common masses.

LostinMovement

Glad to be of use. :blob_reach: Being on trending isn't that useful though. At least not for everyone. Despite being on trending, my story was practically scorned. Where others easily got 5k - 6k views, I could barely scratch 2k.

Apparently, I didn't have enough harem for the common masses.

I was just about to say that :blob_joy: You must have missed the staples of SH Trending : the busty anime girl cover, the harem tag, the gender bender tag and of course the holy Ecchi tag. How else to you expect your story to get views?

Jokes aside, it's commendable enough that you managed to get your story up there without having to conform to the mainstream formula. Maybe because I am female that is why I can't see the point behind the harem craze, specially in Isekai. What is so appealing about it? Fulfilling the ultimate male fantasy? and then what? What does it do for the plot? I guess I will never know.
Most stories with good potential go downhill as soon as the writer introduces this trope into it. If a writer can't make those multiple love interests into decent, fleshed-out characters that add to the story, can't they just do without with the whole harem thing?

Assurbanipal_II

I was just about to say that :blob_joy: You must have missed the staples of SH Trending : the busty anime girl cover, the harem tag, the gender bender tag and of course the holy Ecchi tag. How else to you expect your story to get views?

Jokes aside, it's commendable enough that you managed to get your story up there without having to conform to the mainstream formula. Maybe because I am female that is why I can't see the point behind the harem craze, specially in Isekai. What is so appealing about it? Fulfilling the ultimate male fantasy? and then what? What does it do for the plot? I guess I will never know.
Most stories with good potential go downhill as soon as the writer introduces this trope into it. If a writer can't make those multiple love interests into decent, fleshed-out characters that add to the story, can't they just do without with the whole harem thing?

I don't know. I can't tell as well what people like about the ecchi harem tag. I just write about my lovely slightly crazy loli protagonists while being happy about them. :blobtaco: So a bit of shameless self-promotion here, check out my stories. I recommend the first one. It is way shorter and a quick read.

LostinMovement

I don't know. I can't tell as well what people like about the ecchi harem tag. I just write about my lovely slightly crazy loli protagonists while being happy about them. :blobtaco: So a bit of shameless self-promotion here, check out my stories. I recommend the first one. It is way shorter and a quick read.
As long as a story is well-written (preferably harem-free) with an interesting protagonist, I would read it :) I checked your more recent story out and it seems to be well-received for a story with just 9 chapters. That must mean it's worth reading. I will give it a go.

I've only written BL so far (with political intrigue or LitRPG) so I won't subject you to any of my writing :blob_joy: ( although I have yet to write anything sexual). Anyways, I wish you the best with the rest of your series. Writing is hard work :blob_teary:

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

As long as a story is well-written (preferably harem-free) with an interesting protagonist, I would give it go :) so I will take a look at the first story. I checked it out and it seems to be well-received for a story with just 9 chapters. That must mean it's worth reading.

:blobtaco: I hope you won't be disappointed. I don't recommend my second story. That was my first try as an author, so it is kind of unpolished.

Fuyutsuki_Kaori

My take on this: from what I can see (no statistics to show), there are two types of authors: the Marketing type, who read the flow of demands and write stories according to trends and statistical numbers shown to them; then there are the Let's-Write-LikeThere-Is-No-Tomorrow types who just write... well like there is no tomorrow.

Unfortunately I have no talent for the number games and continue to write despite almost having no readers, that is how I have been writing and published my works from other sites in bulks hoping they get to read my children which I given all my thoughts to in one go.

But, I think that I have learned a few things while reading this post from authors's and readers' perspective alike and for that Thank you, this is very informative.

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
Not a fan of statistical standard of SH, but I think the website lacks so much exposure for new authors/series even every new stories are coming by the Latest Series slot. Most readers in fact come to the main part of the website which is the Lobby itself and check like "Let's see what's interesting around here", and it seems lazy for them to check EVERY GENRE that might intrigue them since the design of the website is much complicating, compared to the algorithm itself.

And right now, I'm struggling to get more readers from releasing one chapters daily from the very beginning. I feel like the trending list is pretty much biased to numbers and mainstream level... it also goes with the same as RoyalRoad... Very Lack of Exposure.

I think this website needs to expand the capacity to gain visual searching capability and render the readers for more interesting stuff.

Assurbanipal_II

Not a fan of statistical standard of SH, but I think the website lacks so much exposure for new authors/series even every new stories are coming by the Latest Series slot. Most readers in fact come to the main part of the website which is the Lobby itself and check like "Let's see what's interesting around here", and it seems lazy for them to check EVERY GENRE that might intrigue them since the design of the website is much complicating, compared to the algorithm itself.

And right now, I'm struggling to get more readers from releasing one chapters daily from the very beginning. I feel like the trending list is pretty much biased to numbers and mainstream level... it also goes with the same as RoyalRoad... Very Lack of Exposure.

I think this website needs to expand the capacity to gain visual searching capability and render the readers for more interesting stuff.

Ah, Daisuke. I tried your works once. :blob_evil_two: I found them very difficult to digest, which might be the reason that many readers are scared off.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice

Look, Scribbly has a lot of things to increase your visibility.

1) New Stories automatically get put on the front page.

2) New updates also get put on the front page. (They also appear in NU's front page)

3) You have a variety of tags and genres to choose from which would help other users finding your series through the Series Finder.

4) If your story is popular, you get to trending, which further increases your popularity.

So uhn... I don't mean to be rude, but if you have a solid update schedule and still aren't getting enough views... It's probably because your story isn't that good.

Keep writing and you'll probably improve, and as you improve you'll get more readers.

But well, if you really think the issue is on Scribbly's end and not yours, make a Feature Request with a function that might help novels get more exposure. If Tony likes it, he might implement it.

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
Ah, Daisuke. I tried your works once. :blob_evil_two: I found them very difficult to digest, which might be the reason that many readers are scared off.
that's kinda rude to hear, but I guess I'll accept your reaction... and also, which one?

So uhn... I don't mean to be rude, but if you have a solid update schedule and still aren't getting enough views... It's probably because your story isn't that good.

Most readers can be subjective or not... and I might not having solid update since I procrastinate some hours for rendering my idea.

Assurbanipal_II

that's kinda rude to hear, but I guess I'll accept your reaction... and also, which one?

Most readers can be subjective or not... and I might not having solid update since I procrastinate some hours for rendering my idea.

Both. Your writing style might scare potential readers off. Trap has definitely improved in that regard though.