A Traffic Enforcer Experience

• Thread starter Deleted member 54065
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 54065

Well, just want to share a story I experienced yesterday while driving home.

See, I got my motorcycle an aluminum box (pricey in our country, about USD180; minimum wage is @ USD10), a pair of faux-leather saddle bags (around USD18), a motorcycle front bag (cost me around USD5.39), phone and cup holders, too...so I can drive in convenience.

Now yesterday, as I drove home by my usual route, traffic policemen set-up illegal checkpoints (illegal because they had no sign that says 'checkpoint', which is required by their SOP) on one of corners where I pass.

Here's the exciting part. One of the traffic officer chose to stop my motorcycle, as opposed to other ones they let pass, and asked for my license. I realized when I gave it to him that it was expired by about a month and a half already.

However, our government recently posted a grace period for the expired licenses for two months after expiry date, which meant my license--though expired--can still be used.

Now the officer, after stopping me, had been asking how much I bought the saddle bags. Well, I talked to him in a polite manner, and handed to him my license, which he claims is already expired and he would impound my motorcycle.

I asked how much is the fine if my vehicle is impounded, and he said "Php 10000" (about USD180). But, he's asking me what would I suggest to avoid the impounding, which he meant that I should bribe.

So, amused at his dick-ery, I played along. I asked how much money he wanted, and he said "Half of the fine for impounding.", which is Php5000 (USD 90). Then I asked if he could lower it, but he refused.

I asked him his name and ID, which he provided with confidence.

Then, imagine his shock when I told him that our government has a grace period of two months, even showing him the order. Then, I also told him that the punishment for an expired Philippine driver's license is just a traffic violation ticket and not impounding of the vehicle. He was telling me to move along, but I won't have it. Told him I'm a licensed lawyer, but he won't talk to me after then.

I got his name and ID number. Now I'm mulling if I should sue. 😂🤣

IMG_20220804_203200_copy_2252x1689.jpg

IMG_20220804_203304_copy_2252x1689.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kassel

See, I got my motorcycle an aluminum box (pricey in our country, about USD180; minimum wage is @ USD10), a pair of faux-leather saddle bags (around USD18), a motorcycle front bag (cost me around USD5.39), phone and cup holders, too...so I can drive in convenience.

Now yesterday, as I drove home by my usual route, traffic policemen set-up illegal checkpoints (illegal because they had no sign that says 'checkpoint', which is required by their SOP) on one of corners where I pass.

Here's the exciting part. One of the traffic officer chose to stop my motorcycle, as opposed to other ones they let pass, and asked for my license. I realized when I gave it to him that it was expired by about a month and a half already.

However, our government recently posted a grace period for the expired licenses for two months after expiry date, which meant my license--though expired--can still be used.

Now the officer, after stopping me, had been asking how much I bought the saddle bags. Well, I talked to him in a polite manner, and handed to him my license, which he claims is already expired and he would impound my motorcycle.

I asked how much is the fine if my vehicle is impounded, and he said "Php 10000" (about USD180). But, he's asking me what would I suggest to avoid the impounding, which he meant that I should bribe.

So, amused at his dick-ery, I played along. I asked how much money he wanted, and he said "Half of the fine for impounding.", which is Php5000 (USD 90). Then I asked if he could lower it, but he refused.

Then, imagine his shock when I told him that our government has a grace period of two months, even showing him the order. Then, I also told him that the punishment for an expired Philippine driver's license is just a traffic violation ticket and not impounding of the vehicle. He was telling me to move along, but I won't have it. Told him I'm a licensed lawyer, but he won't talk to me after then.

Maybe move out to a better place

longer

Balls
Now I'm mulling if I should sue
Idk how it is in the Philippines, but from where I come from nothing happens. Most people know that police officers setting up weirdly placed roadblocks and demanding tolls is just extortion. But if we report them or bring it to the court of law, case gets lost in a pile of paperwork or something. The officer most likely has more connections than you or his department has to protect him to save face.

Worst case scenario is if you really really piss off the police, they'll kill off half your family. That only happened once so should be fine.

D

Deleted member 54065

Idk how it is in the Philippines, but from where I come from nothing happens. Most people know that police officers setting up weirdly placed roadblocks and demanding tolls is just extortion. But if we report them or bring it to the court of law, case gets lost in a pile of paperwork or something. The officer most likely has more connections than you or his department has to protect him to save face.

Worst case scenario is if you really really piss off the police, they'll kill off half your family. That only happened once so should be fine.
This is exactly why I'm mulling to sue. Nothing happens. Long trials (2-10 years), still the same shit.

D

Deleted member 54065

Should've just recorded it and posted it in social media. Let the boomers in tiktok and facebook rip him apart like mad dogs.
Nah, I don't have a TikTok account, and we got a law here that forbids taking videos of 'persons of authority'.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Didn't know that existed honestly. Never really payed attention to laws like that when I lived there especially because I was a dumb teen.
a good rule of thumb is that the more eastern you go, the more rigid the laws become on how citizens can defend themselves against the authorities, whether its by cultural spirit or law

D

Deleted member 54065

Didn't know that existed honestly. Never really payed attention to laws like that when I lived there especially because I was a dumb teen.
Good to know you're out.

Nah, screw the anthem. I ain't dying for no country
Leonard Wood is right. We're not ready to be independent.

Btw, our vice-president thinks your opinion is out. Military service is the answer to our problems.

Lorelliad

If you love me, tie my hair 🎵

Btw, our vice-president thinks your opinion is out. Military service is the answer to our problems.
How long does the vice-president stay in office? My mom's next job will probably take her out of the country, and we'll be able to stay out of it for like a good 4 or 5 years.

D

Deleted member 54065

How long does the vice-president stay in office? My mom's next job will probably take her out of the country, and we'll be able to stay out of it for like a good 4 or 5 years.
Dude, we're talking of Duterte and Marcos here.

Dutertes have a habit of backtracking and bending the laws to their will, while Marcoses have a history of making laws that favor themselves. Worse is that, our Congress have a supermajority, and they'd only bulldoze any opposition to stupid bills our lawmakers file...including charter change.

So, if you're hoping that it's only six years, it's a miracle if it does happen, them stepping down once their mandates are over.

Besides, our folks love them. Kept voting them to power, yet they wonder why their lives ain't improving. Then blame it on those people who actually help.

Lorelliad

If you love me, tie my hair 🎵
Dude, we're talking of Duterte and Marcos here.

Dutertes have a habit of backtracking and bending the laws to their will, while Marcoses have a history of making laws that favor themselves. Worse is that, our Congress have a supermajority, and they'd only bulldoze any opposition to stupid bills our lawmakers file...including charter change.

So, if you're hoping that it's only six years, it's a miracle if it does happen, them stepping down once their mandates are over.

Besides, our folks love them. Keep voting them to power, yet they wonder why their lives ain't improving. Then blame it on those people who actually help.
Holy shit we're going down

LilRora

Mostly formless
Now I'm mulling if I should sue.
Don't even bother. You have the evidence, while he has position, connections, probably money and who knows what else. Waste of money. Better learn not to give a shit.

Well history shows us that (with some exceptions) countries that do that are very quickly snuffed out by those where people have independence. And it's the independent people doing it. Where did I see that trope...?

D

Deleted member 54065

Don't even bother. You have the evidence, while he has position, connections, probably money and who knows what else. Waste of money. Better learn not to give a shit.
True. Not worth my time, I guess.

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes

sue

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
Renew your license then ride up and down in front of him all day eating donuts