A Wild System Appears!!!

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
What do you think if a modern world like ours suddenly developed a system? Realistically I mean? Imagine it started mostly with high school kids getting it. How long would it take before something disastrous happened? How long before it became known by the government? What would be there response? Would it lead to something akin to a civil war? How would this reshape society? Would any of this be different if only people from ages 13 to 19 got it? What if classes were introduced like warrior, mage, archer or whatever? Or any class really from any MMO/DnD.

And also what if for some reason, conventional weapons like guns either didn't harm those with the system. Bullets just did nothing, though how and why they didn't isnt particularly important. Only that they dont.

Would kind of society would form from then on where every generation thereafter gained the system at age 13? How would the government change then? What kind of conflicts do you envision?

Friend

... well am I? or not?
... sounds like you'd end up having a whole lotta people calling themselves super-men (the Nietschean concept, not the cinematic fluff).

Samuel_Spader

All I see here is the unraveling of total chaos.
We're selfish race, the moment we were granted power, we'd use it for our own gain.
Not everyone, yes, but most, even if we also use it for our families and loved ones.

I can't predict some accurate math on how long the total chaos would take, but lemme make a guess it would only take less than a year.

Xiaoshen

Teens with superpowers impervious to conventional weaponry? High schoolers are egomaniacs, give them a system and just watch a constant stream of absolute shit decisions eventually leading to the end of our civilization as we knew it.

I'd give it like, 6 months tops before everything is completely fubar.

BloodyLycoris

What do you think if a modern world like ours suddenly developed a system? Realistically I mean? Imagine it started mostly with high school kids getting it. How long would it take before something disastrous happened? How long before it became known by the government? What would be there response? Would it lead to something akin to a civil war? How would this reshape society? Would any of this be different if only people from ages 13 to 19 got it? What if classes were introduced like warrior, mage, archer or whatever? Or any class really from any MMO/DnD.

And also what if for some reason, conventional weapons like guns either didn't harm those with the system. Bullets just did nothing, though how and why they didn't isnt particularly important. Only that they dont.

Would kind of society would form from then on where every generation thereafter gained the system at age 13? How would the government change then? What kind of conflicts do you envision?
Teens with superpowers impervious to conventional weaponry? High schoolers are egomaniacs, give them a system and just watch a constant stream of absolute shit decisions eventually leading to the end of our civilization as we knew it.

I'd give it like, 6 months tops before everything is completely fubar.
The first thing I thought when I read that description, I thought the same thing as @Xiaoshen :blob_teehee: . What would you expect from the bunch of teenager who just want to do everything they have in mind? And the kids at 13? They hadn't seen much of the world and will be easily influenced by others, behaving like puppets...
The behavior of them will be like those "rich/noble kids" in the Chinese novels unless they are mature for their age and growth environment.
As for how long it will take the government to notice I would say 3-5 days at tops unless the teenager who got the system has gone totally insane or the emotion he was currently feeling the moment he got the system since teenagers mindset is to do things first rather think of consequences.

Discount_Blade

So what do you guys think the government's response would be? @Xiaoshen says they would notice in 3-5 days and I dont know how they would notice, like what would tio them off, but I can imagine it would he something similar to that. Si how would they respond? They would definitely try to capture right? Then what? Immediately step up to trying to assassinate/kill?

@BloodyLycoris @Friend @Samuel_Spader @Xiaoshen

mostlyharmfulll

TeaMate since day 1
This is actually kinda a funny timing for this thread, because I just started working on a world for a potential new story (I tend to do the world-building first when planning a longer work) that has a similar setup by taking place in a Mad-Max-like post-apocalypse because a small percentage of people getting superpowers and doing what they want led to society crumble.
But going back to topic: I think society would indeed change a lot, although I don´t think it would end in total anarchy. The world leaders would either manipulate or suck up to the most powerful system users, resulting in them gaining power and therefore being less likely to run amok. And the new society would revolve around the system, having a two-caste-system with the system-less people being the lesser caste.

Jemini

Ok, so, I thought the same thing everyone else is saying about total chaos at first, but then there were all the stipulations about it being restricted only to teens. Actually, I think it being restricted to teens would actually be the best case scenario if a system suddenly existed with the least chance for something to go wrong. Things would go much more horribly if the system was given to university students, which would be the worst case scenario, and adults 30+ being an intermediate case between the two extremes.

As for the reason teens are the best case scenario, teens actually have a pretty black-and-white sense of morality, and they still have a whole lot of idealism and it hasn't been tainted by a lot of dangerous fanatacism yet like you see in a lot of university students. So, I believe a group of teens are likely to have their bad apples as well as their goodie two-shoes, and the latter will keep the former more or less in check because teens also like a villain narrative and a lot of them might actually be thrilled to go off and fight the villain. However, the ones who do so are also going to come out of it traumatized over the fact they killed an actual person, something they will not have actually thought about before going out to stop the person causing havoc.

As for the government question, yeah, they'd be tipped off within the same week. The reason for that is at least 10% absolute minimum of them will tell their parents, and a lot more will start showing off. News stations will catch wind of this, and so will the government. In the modern day, we also have social media. The government might have thoughts of keeping this under-wrapps, but even if a very small number of teens actually get the system it will still be impossible to contain because a few will be stupid enough to film themselves doing superhuman things and will post it on social media, and even more will be caught on other people's cellphone videos.

I would say the most likely response by the government would be to start screening them for their personality, and separate them into "usable," "threat," and "watch" categories, with the usable ones being the ones who have the strongest sense of duty at wanting to keep the others from harming the community. Those in the "usable" category would quickly be fielded as a sort of police force specifically to handle incidents of others with their power causing trouble. The government would give them military combat training and teach them how to coordinate their efforts, and government researchers would gather data on their abilities and feed that information back to them, so those who are in the government's care will be far more effective and efficient at using their abilities than those who are not in the government's care.

There will be issues that crop up, yes, but our system is very capable of responding to it. However, the REAL threat will come after the domestic issues are ironed out and then the people with this system start getting fielded as actual battlefield soldiers. I would think China would be the first nation to do this, and then the US and other major world powers would be forced to act in kind just to fight against them. This is the stage where real chaos is going to erupt.

Leti

I'm not sure about other government, but the U.S Government wouldn't change much. They already have the power of Kira, dimensional hopping, and power over the concept of misfortune. A teenager with a system is harmless compared to what the U.S Government can do. Other countries might not be so lucky, though.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Just a more chaotic society, I guess. A majority of the population is so used to current society I doubt there's gonna be any big changes besides some bills and a new set of rights for the system. There's definitely gonna be more radicals going around using their power to reach their goals, but the government's definitely gonna do some recruitments to get the best ones whipped in shape first. Might take some MK ULTRA and a breach of conventions but hell, if we're talking systems this isn't the real world no more.

Since the civvies have more agency and power I suspect the government to crack down on shit harder. Probably living under martial laws or military states at most. Register every time you use your system kinda shit.

If bullets don't work then use chemicals, unless you forgot to state that.

Think the world of Fullmetal Alchemist where everyone's an Alchemist of something but all the good ones are forced to be military dogs. If you're the Alchemist of Fire you'd probably be snatched up real quick to whip you to shape before you cause any real trouble. If you're the Alchemist of Omlettes you'd probably stay as a civvie for the rest of your life.

That said, IF we're having systems RIGHT NOW, under the current political climate, I can safely say we're screwed.

atgongumerki

I would have been inclined to agree with Jemini, was it not for the ratio in which villains and goodies appear.
If it starts with high school kids, their hormone-filled brains will likely act up.
Considering how entitled and selfish humans can be, only the most idealistic would hold back on using their power for whatever.
Bullies will use them to bully.
Bullying victims will use them to bully the bullies.
Testosterone filled boys will try to prove their manliness.
Minorities (ethnic, religious, geeks, ...) will try to prove that they too have a right to live, and are worth as much as the others.
Girls will use them to psychologically destroy others.

At least at first, teen crime and anarchy would rise.
Empowerment leads to inequality. Colonialism, Nationalism, Racism (and two new kinds of -ism would arise: weak against the empowered; and the empowered against those without power)

Aside from anarchy:
New religions would form.
New Industries would arise.
A massive unemployment wave, due to empowered humans being able to do the work of multiple non-empowered ones.

BloodyLycoris

Oh man, I think all the possibilities are already mentioned by others above... So I will move towards the systems I guess.... it would also depend how power manifests from the system like whether the system gives out abilities which cannot have further growth and is fixed or the leveling system which grow together with the user and or all the abilities are based on the persons character/personality .... many other types of system everyone have read in various novels (don't want to list every type of system :blob_dizzy:). Whether the power when the user receives creates a strange phenomenon and if does this will the first thing that will gave away teenagers to the world or if the power the user receives is too strong for him control it ... will gain quite the attention too...
Many possibilities, Many paths for people to choose.... The only most basic thing among all these will be the emotions :blob_neutral:.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

First and formost, if it is only a single age group will get them, you will be sure damned that the generation gap will widen even further and this will lead to anarchy with them being overpowered (immune to bullets and convetional firearms, how about military technology like ICBM?) Is it for everyone in that age group? The govt will immediately notice if most of the teens starts to spam fireball, do power slash and stuff, I give you 1 week at most with the mentality of most teens being bragging and with twitch.tv and facebook vlog, 1 hour. Most obviously will be the issue between mutants and muggles, the power struggle which is worsen by the fact that there will be more those of powers sooner or later and no one will enjoy having someone carrying a loaded gun openly, let alone an AT4.

Initially it will be those with powers that will be seen as freaks, but once time goes by, like 5-10 years, those powerless are the ones who will be prosecuted as handicaps and weak, the societal shift is no different from how each generation disses on others.

As someone who has passed that age group, it is depressing for me obviously, it vexes and terrifies me that there are younglings out there now possessing the ability to kill me by waving their hands, I will vote feverously for a "Superhuman Act" to leash these walking weapons.

As a parent, I will hope that my child will get a super special class so that he/ she can gain an edge in the new industry, just like how mine always telling me to get good grades, meet better people to further the career ladder. Having a special and useful class means more acceptance into the new society, if he/ she gets a world calamity class, I will wish that they get accepted into the military and get high ranks instead of executed or locked away for public safety (which is BS).

Last edited:

atgongumerki

So what do you guys think the government's response would be? @Xiaoshen says they would notice in 3-5 days and I dont know how they would notice, like what would tio them off, but I can imagine it would he something similar to that. Si how would they respond? They would definitely try to capture right? Then what? Immediately step up to trying to assassinate/kill?

@BloodyLycoris @Friend @Samuel_Spader @Xiaoshen

Any government with an invested interest in staying in power, would try to use propaganda to pitch the powerful against each other, so they don't try to go against the govenment.

Militaristic ones, like china, russia or USA would likely try to recruit them. While secretly searching for ways to subdue them, under the guise of helping them develop.

Others may try to ignore it, or acknowledge the situation but refuse to initiate any measures or programmes. (for reference: sweden, corona; not really but you get the gist)

Again others may claim it a hoax or an invasion by a neiboring country or some minority.

Then there are those who would try to integrate them into society with targeted propaganda telling them how to use their powers. Even open up special schools to teach them how to keep a healthy society and prevent world-ending events by power-tandrums. (this can also be a guise, in an effort to subdue)

Openly trying to capture them will, only result in a revolt of these powerful figures, which would be the end of said nation, government or state. Secretly trying to capture them in cloack-and-dagger operations will result in the same outcome, as sooner or later the teens will get suspicious about their missing friends, classmates and neighbors.

aattss

When people find out bullets don't work, people will apply that technology to other weapons. They'll probably be able to invent weapons with similar parameters.

I could see some struggles between the older institutions and new groups with power, but I'm not optimistic enough to think that the old institutions won't maintain most of their power and influence through incorporating the use of the system for themselves in addition to leveraging other forms of power.

AkalE

okay.... this is interesting.
Ping me whoever decides to write this thing :)

Discount_Blade

okay.... this is interesting.
Ping me whoever decides to write this thing :)

I'm doing this, but I wanted some other opinions on probable outcomes. So far, most people here have written a more optimistic view than what I was going to write.