ability to use NSFW covers

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Only if they come with spoiler.
Heck, I'm spooked by my own drawings sometimes.
Social reputation at stake, you know.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I mean, I would consider some of those pictures already NSFW. So, I don't know. It feels hypocritical to allow those, but not more skin. :blob_blank:

scribesaga

at the very least they should clarify what is NSFW. Because what I would consider NSFW is evidently not what everyone would consider NSFW.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
like i said in multiple threads before, an NSFW toggle would work fucken WONDERS.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Advertisers don't want their ads in sites with NSFW content. The homepage of Scribblehub has ads.

NSFW covers are impossible. Give up on this one.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Advertisers don't want their ads in sites with NSFW content. The homepage of Scribblehub has ads.
Yeah I figured this was the case. I don't mind not being able to use NSFW covers, really. Sometimes you just gotta be.... creative when it comes to dodging censorship hahaha :blob_happy:

Also, not being able to use NSFW covers means you won't see me post dongs, at least. I'd be posting horse dongs for my new beastman series if I had the chance. Be glad I can't post dongs!!!!

Tony

Staff member
Just saying...
at the very least they should clarify what is NSFW. Because what I would consider NSFW is evidently not what everyone would consider NSFW.

This is true. I wish I could give more details but Google bots (for advertisements) are pretty aggressive at times. Even I'm not sure what exactly is safe. I'm just rejecting images by past experience and trying to play it safe. The bots are pretty aggressive at times at flagging stuff.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
This is true. I wish I could give more details but Google bots (for advertisements) are pretty aggressive at times. Even I'm not sure what exactly is safe. I'm just rejecting images by past experience and trying to play it safe. The bots are pretty aggressive at times at flagging stuff.
might be a tall order to ask of you but can you make some guideline for authors to find out whether their covers/images are compliant with the bots?

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
I would say yes. But they would need to add a setting were your allowed to see nsfw images. Which pretty much making it more like SmutHub

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Why not make it so that authors who want to use NSFW covers have to mark the cover as NSFW? This would save the NSFW covers in another directory separate from the main directory for normal covers? Then make it that by default NSFW covers will not be shown and the covers will only appear as a pure black cover with 'NSFW Cover' shown on the front page. Those who want to see NSFW covers will need to change their default settings to allow it.

Like Reddit, NSFW pictures will be censored in the updates, but if you choose to allow NSFW in your settings, you can go into that specific thread and click on the NSFW picture to show it. Ai-chan doesn't think google will flag this, as you will need to be registered to even have this option. And they can't scrape anything if their bots have no access to it.

Toripuru-S

Yeah would be nice if we could, but can understand why it may not be allowed. At the very least though, since I sometimes have NSFW in-chapter illustrations, I'm content with at least having that ability...
(If I accidentally revealed that I'm breaking a site rule by having a few NSFW illustrations inside my novel....then oops....lol :blob_facepalm::sweat_smile:)

AliceShiki

Yeah would be nice if we could, but can understand why it may not be allowed. At the very least though, since I sometimes have NSFW in-chapter illustrations, I'm content with at least having that ability...
(If I accidentally revealed that I'm breaking a site rule by having a few NSFW illustrations inside my novel....then oops....lol :blob_facepalm::sweat_smile:)
The illustration needs to be approved, but in-chapter images do not. This means you have more freedom with in-chapter images.

The main issue with cover images being NSFW is that they may appear in the front page IIRC. Since the front page has ads.

I think individual stories don't have the same problem, dunno if Tony disables ads in any story with erotic tags or of it's just fine to have it for as long as it's not in the front page, but... Explicit text and explicit images are about the same as far as advertisers care IIRC. So one isn't particularly more troublesome than the other.

Edit: I'm wrong, see Tony's reply a bit below.

Last edited:

Toripuru-S

The illustration needs to be approved, but in-chapter images do not. This means you have more freedom with in-chapter images.

The main issue with cover images being NSFW is that they may appear in the front page IIRC. Since the front page has ads.

I think individual stories don't have the same problem, dunno if Tony disables ads in any story with erotic tags or of it's just fine to have it for as long as it's not in the front page, but... Explicit text and explicit images are about the same as far as advertisers care IIRC. So one isn't particularly more troublesome than the other.
Yep, definitely understandable as far as covers go. I appreciate the small bit of freedom with the in-chapter art, but I view it as a shaky ground kind of freedom. I always worry that what might be acceptable one day, may suddenly be not the next day, so with that in mind I try my best to mark my novel(s) with the appropriate Mature warning.
Side note: With any NSFW in-chapter art, I hope that up until now I've had a good enough self limit and mostly clear understanding on the type of in-chapter art that would never ever be acceptable :blobrofl::blobrofl:

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•

So I can post my smut art in the chapters?
How far can I go?

AliceShiki

So I can post my smut art in the chapters?
How far can I go?
I just checked the page of a random smut novel and of a random non-smut novel.

Smut novel didn't have ads neither in its novel page (the one with Synopsis/tags/genres etc), nor in its chapters.

Non-smut novel had ads in both its Novel Page and in its chapters.

So, Tony probably has a system that automatically filters out all novels with certain genres/tags and puts no ads in the pages of the novels with those genres/tags.

I believe you can put any image you want in the chapters of novels that don't get ads added to them.

PS: Tests were done using the novel that was #1 in trending according to my filter settings, and the #1 in Smut according to Series Finder.
Chapters chosen for the tests were 221/228 for the non-smut and 142/151 for the smut.
Dunno if this is relevant in any way, but figured I'd mention it.

Edit: I'm wrong. See Tony's reply below.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
might be a tall order to ask of you but can you make some guideline for authors to find out whether their covers/images are compliant with the bots?

I wish it was that easy but Google doesn't really tell me either. I'm just rejecting images based on experience.

Definitely count as a self-report and your chapters with NSFW images were unpublished as it violates our content guidelines.

I believe you can put any image you want in the chapters of novels that don't get ads added to them.

No, this is not true.