About reincarnation novels

LostinMovement

I just wanted to add something no one mentioned so far. When it comes to reincarnation storylines, you have to distinguish between two major types : First, the MC reincarnates into a foreign world with someone else's body ( or in some cases, an animal's or a a magical beast's body). Or second, the MC reincarnates into their own world and their own body except they found themselves back in the past ( for example, adult MC reincarnates back to their childhood).

Why the distinction you might ask?

Because they are different settings. Going back in time to a world you already know and as yourself is not the same as being thrust into a strangers' world where you're not even who you are. The set of psychological challenges differ and the level of shock or trauma might not be the same.

What I hate the most in the majority of reincarnation novels, specially in the case of an MC being reborn into a foreign world, is how easily the MC adapts to this massive change. They don't go into shock and they accept it readily by the second chapter. It is weird.

Also revenge, while tired and old, is a great motivator in reincarnation stories. It might be cliche but there isn't anything inherently wrong with it. As long as the writer writes it well and not make it the central of the MC's character development, it can make quite the interesting and emotional story.

Ethereal

What do, in your opinion, reincarnation novels lack? What do you want in them? And what do you find unpleasant about them?
I don't think they really lack anything I mean there is such a wide variety of beings and species reincarnator reincarnate as and a plethora of web novels regarding this. However I guess I would like to see more mcs' reincarnated as trees, gods, deer, and wolves, oh and few more dragons done well, mostly in litrpgs worlds, but i think it'ds be cool to see them as gods and dragons possibly even wolves in non-litrpg fantasy worlds/standard fantasy worlds.

What do I want in them........ more mc's like previously stated oh and rock golems or rock elementals mcs' that would be cool every series i've read with those type of reincarnated mcs' have gone on haitus or been deleted by the author's request. Honestly I want more risk but I also want them to have downtime, and I want more points of view in the story to help build the world, the legend of randidly ghosthound does a great job with pov's, not that its a reincarnation story. although one of the main side characters does reincarnate but no spoilers.

What do I find unpleasant about them...... hmmmm.... the cliches, I mean there nice sometimes and if done right if i just want to relax and get back to basics but otherwise their just boring. Oh and to many reincarnated mc's are human, we need more variety. For example an mc reincarnating as a mountain, or a planet or even a world that isn't a planet, like a floating island in space with an atmosphere or something.

If you read this far thank you and good job.

Ethereal

I just wanted to add something no one mentioned so far. When it comes to reincarnation storylines, you have to distinguish between two major types : First, the MC reincarnates into a foreign world with someone else's body ( or in some cases, an animal's or a a magical beast's body). Or second, the MC reincarnates into their own world and their own body except they found themselves back in the past ( for example, adult MC reincarnates back to their childhood).

Why the distinction you might ask?

Because they are different settings. Going back in time to a world you already know and as yourself is not the same as being thrust into a strangers' world where you're not even who you are. The set of psychological challenges differ and the level of shock or trauma might not be the same.

What I hate the most in the majority of reincarnation novels, specially in the case of an MC being reborn into a foreign world, is how easily the MC adapts to this massive change. They don't go into shock and they accept it readily by the second chapter. It is weird.

Also revenge, while tired and old, is a great motivator in reincarnation stories. It might be cliche but there isn't anything inherently wrong with it. As long as the writer writes it well and not make it the central of the MC's character development, it can make quite the interesting and emotional story.

While I agree that most reincarnated mcs' adapt too quickly, i think thats becuase nobody knows how to writes the psychological effects it would have on the mc, into the story while also pushing it forward. Not only is there no real life frame of reference to research this off of but I doubt many of us have degrees in psychology. However it would be amazing if someone somehow pulled it off and I would loved to read it if they did, granted if i like the additional genres added to the story.

Reactions: imL