About Webnovel's restricting of novels (I'd delete this if not allowed in the platform)

cc.mscreeps18

Bruh so here's the catch. I have an ongoing novel that I've been promoting on literally every single platforms and one of them flagged and restricted my work. The notif said that the novel (Warfare Between Lost Hearts) includes asian characters (like chinese or korean characters and such) although the entire novel is only focusing on a single country only, which is Philippines, cuz yeah I'm a Filipino. I was literally confused because the platform itself didn't even specified which part of my novel had 'one' and I couldn't fix it. And there's a person right there telling that "the notif wouldn't be there if you didn't do something" like, our language was literally using the same alphabet as the English alphabet. We have "alpabetong Filipino" and I was currently using that.

I already emailed them a week ago and kept on asking for tons of follow ups yet no response. I couldn't even get a response from the forums about my report. I'd understand if my other work (Five Lives Left) was flagged because I admit that I had put a sort of racial stereotype there which I'd better fix ASAP.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HALP

DubstheDuke

Thats.... odd.

I think it's kinda dumb that platforms are preventing stories because they have certain characters of certain races in the first place. If this were my country there would be 10,000 lawsuits over it. But it isn't my country.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
The notif said that the novel (Warfare Between Lost Hearts) includes asian characters (like chinese or korean characters and such) although the entire novel is only focusing on a single country only, which is Philippines, cuz yeah I'm a Filipino.
So what is their complaint? That you have many characters from all over earth included? Or did you write something racist in their view?

Queenfisher

Bird?
I think it means stuff like --

ツ ㅠ ಠ​

-- and other "logographic characters" from Asian languages. I've heard this complaint from someone on SH before, and apparently, they used a text emoji somewhere in their story on Webnovel, and in that emoji, there was a Japanese kana character. Supposedly, Webnovel flags every non-English "letter" for the fear that they can't moderate them if something offensive is being said. So they restrict it to English only.

But if this is actually about race, then I have no idea. That's the first time I hear about anti-Asian racism on an Asian-based site, :blob_hmm_two: . That sucks...

Valmond

If that happens, best to avoid web novel. This seems like such a simple thing. If it is in another language, then given the amount of people possibly reading. More or less it would be flagged if offensive in nature. If it is due to race, then definitely move elsewhere. Writing is meant to be free, not restricted.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
wow, i didnt think webnovel could get even weirder and shittier and yet i stand corrected.

just ignore webnovel, it's a crap-laden cesspit of shittiness.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I think it means stuff like --

ツ ㅠ ಠ​

-- and other "logographic characters" from Asian languages. I've heard this complaint from someone on SH before, and apparently, they used a text emoji somewhere in their story on Webnovel, and in that emoji, there was a Japanese kana character. Supposedly, Webnovel flags every non-English "letter" for the fear that they can't moderate them if something offensive is being said. So they restrict it to English only.

But if this is actually about race, then I have no idea. That's the first time I hear about anti-Asian racism on an Asian-based site, :blob_hmm_two: . That sucks...
Oh no, I have emojis all over in my story QAQ

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
But if this is actually about race, then I have no idea
No, you're completely right. It is not about any of the characters in the novel but the letters used (mostly regarding emojis indeed). There have been tons of discussion of the subject in the webnovel forums but the site can't be bothered to work on it despite having gotten ideas on how to go about this without annoying authors to death.

kurotha

I think I know the problem... that's because there is a certain law on china that prohibits to use of certain country names because it's against the unity of their republic... and it's curious because in them, Philippine is one of the said names that can't be used (there was a problem with the game genshin impact too, so that name was censured)

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
Bruh so here's the catch. I have an ongoing novel that I've been promoting on literally every single platforms and one of them flagged and restricted my work. The notif said that the novel (Warfare Between Lost Hearts) includes asian characters (like chinese or korean characters and such) although the entire novel is only focusing on a single country only, which is Philippines, cuz yeah I'm a Filipino. I was literally confused because the platform itself didn't even specified which part of my novel had 'one' and I couldn't fix it. And there's a person right there telling that "the notif wouldn't be there if you didn't do something" like, our language was literally using the same alphabet as the English alphabet. We have "alpabetong Filipino" and I was currently using that.

I already emailed them a week ago and kept on asking for tons of follow ups yet no response. I couldn't even get a response from the forums about my report. I'd understand if my other work (Five Lives Left) was flagged because I admit that I had put a sort of racial stereotype there which I'd better fix ASAP.

I see. Your work probably doesn't appear from your WN profile and can't receive votes if I'm understanding this right. Anyway, did you use special characters in your work aside from english? Such as emojis, other languages such as Chinese, Korean, JP characters which etc? Cuz the WN system will automatically flag it and restrict your work.

D

Deleted member 29081

Did you mention the name "Taiwan" in the context of it being an independent country from China at some point? That's the only thing I can think of having to do with "Asian" and censorship.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
That is very odd. Mine hasn't been flagged as far as I know, and I certainly have Asian characters - Filipino and Japanese. It's mostly set in California, but they do travel, to Japan and Pennsylvania, and there will be more travel in upcoming chapters:

S10

I wouldn't understand why wn would restrict Filipino or Philippines esp considering other Filipino authors and that there is a badge for a fan meeting in Philippines.

The only restricting I can imagine is: non English characters IE emojis and other language characters, "special content" ie bad r18.

Or they hate you or accident or one mod is racist or some Chinese law.

cc.mscreeps18

So what is their complaint? That you have many characters from all over earth included? Or did you write something racist in their view?
I honestly don't even know unu. Regarding emojis and stuff, I don't even put one. I just want them to specify which part of my novel was restricted by the system. *cri*

cc.mscreeps18

Did you mention the name "Taiwan" in the context of it being an independent country from China at some point? That's the only thing I can think of having to do with "Asian" and censorship.
Oh no, I haven't mentioned it in my novel since it wasn't really the setting of it. Primarily, my entire novel's residing only in the Philippines. So I was literally confused on the recent notif that the platform sent me.

thedude3445

Gosh, this is yet another reason to pile on the list of reasons to avoid Webnovel.com as much as possible. I was already put off completely by the parts where "disrupting national unity" can get your story banned, and of course active censorship of anything Taiwan/Hong Kong/etc. But using a non-roman character gets a story banned without even the slightest chance of fixing it? At that point I would just spam 光復香港,時代革命 until your account is banned for good, because I doubt they will ever do anything to help you.

cc.mscreeps18

Gosh, this is yet another reason to pile on the list of reasons to avoid Webnovel.com as much as possible. I was already put off completely by the parts where "disrupting national unity" can get your story banned, and of course active censorship of anything Taiwan/Hong Kong/etc. But using a non-roman character gets a story banned without even the slightest chance of fixing it? At that point I would just spam 光復香港,時代革命 until your account is banned for good, because I doubt they will ever do anything to help you.
Yeah, I've been bombarding them via email yet there aren't any response. So like, I'm almost to that point that I'm going to discontinue the novel in that platform.

cc.mscreeps18

I see. Your work probably doesn't appear from your WN profile and can't receive votes if I'm understanding this right. Anyway, did you use special characters in your work aside from english? Such as emojis, other languages such as Chinese, Korean, JP characters which etc? Cuz the WN system will automatically flag it and restrict your work.
Oh, not at all because I was aiming to have a hardcopy version of my book as soon as I finish it. I don't really put emojis and other characters on it and maintaining the standard novel format on my published book.