Recommendations Absolute Originals

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
From advice from a friend I had decided it upon myself to look towards the true authentic classics as means to reform my writing style

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
From advice from a friend I had decided it upon myself to look towards the true authentic classics as means to reform my writing style
Read: The Odyssey, The Iliad, Dante's Inferno, and Lord of the Rings. Those are great starts to improve your writing or even general enjoyment.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
"Visits to the Confabulatorium" by Soramimi Hanarejima
"Confessions of a Gentleman Arachnid" by Michael Coolwood
"The Broken Coast" by Bruce Lee Bond

atgongumerki

the only true first classics are mythology, religious texts and legends of old

they have very peculiar writing styles though so not sure if they are all that helpful

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
The bible...
History.
And some thesis, they are absolute originals, right?

skillet

a frying pan
Ahem flexes English major muscles

Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu is said to be the first psychological novel of the world.
Edgar Allen Poe is considered to have written the first modern mystery.
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley is considered to be the first science fiction novel, and Castle of Otranto (I heard it's a hot mess lol) is considered to be the first Gothic novel.
Speaking of Gothic, Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre has Gothic elements in them and is supposed to be the first Western novel to have dealt with female perspective that begins with childhood.

Focusing more on writing styles, Jane Austen was known for her way of using free indirect discourse, and Virginia Woolf for her stream of consciousness, who is a figurehead of modernism along with James Joyce and a couple of others. Both are recommended for different kinds of modernist writing styles. If you'd like some more options for classics, Beowulf, Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight are all in the Western canon, though they're in verse. For something more prose-y, Julian of Norwich's, like, diary or something is supposedly important too lol, so you can check that out.
You'd also do well to read Charles Dickens and Ernest Hemingway as they were both very well known for their distinctive writing styles. Also recommend Lewis Carroll for no other reason than because he's super fun. :D

Happy reading!

C_P_Tuck

Every great story needs an author
Feel free to check out my trilogy, Tomes of Ahya. Or, if you've only got time for one story, read Tome of the Body. Its all free on my SH profile.

zac_k4ry

please let my work speak for itself (bcus im thirsity as hell spamming other forums)

Shaizic

I think my book is very original.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
Anything by Dickens. I actually enjoyed David Copperfield and the Pickwick Papers. Out of the Bronte sisters, I prefer Anne. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall reads like Victorian YA haha. If you want something considered 'classic' but also ridiculous, Charlotte's 'The Green Dwarf' is fun.

Erivva

If in terms of our stories. I’ll. Say mine”s also original in a way. Unless you read and see for yourself.
I don’t know how to attach the story but the link is above.

doravg

103/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
I heard that the Song of Achilles is good, but haven't had the time to read it, myself.

zac_k4ry

You might learn a thing or two from my first episode. :) At least give the first episode a try.