Writing Action Scenes (Help me pls)

MasterHiatus

I am back
Recently, I've been planning on writing a fanfic. "That's amazing" you might say. But you see, I have a problem.

I suck at writing action scenes.

Now I know what you might think, "Why not write something without action scenes?" Well you see, I like action scenes similar to how people like Smut.
Further explanation is not to be given.

So I would really appreciate it if people of the Scribble Hub help me with some of my concerns by giving me tips about: how to make engaging action scenes, how do I write 'realistic' action scenes, etc.

Other than that, good day.

BlackKnightX

Recently, I've been planning on writing a fanfic. "That's amazing" you might say. But you see, I have a problem.

Now I know what you might think, "Why not write something without action scenes?" Well you see, I like action scenes similar to how people like Smut.

So I would really appreciate it if people of the Scribble Hub help me with some of my concerns by giving me tips about: how to make engaging action scenes, how do I write 'realistic' action scenes, etc.

My tip is this; add a lot of story beats in the scene. The best way to do this is by using the word, “but” and “therefore”.

Here’s an example; Aiko shot a fireball at Kaito, BUT Kaito put up a shield in time, THEREFORE Aiko shot another fireball, BUT the trap that Kaito had laid beforehand suddenly activated and sent Aiko into another dimension filled with torturous environments! THEREFORE, Aiko tried to find a way out, BUT a freakin dragon suddenly appear! THEREFORE…

See what I mean? You throw conflict after conflict at the character to keep the story moving forward and add on tensions and excitement.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

There are many posts like these.

Though rule-of-thumb, find an action scene you like from some other authors and try to emulate it.

What I like is crisp and clear fights with no mudflinging, as in not much back and forth and every blow counts.

LilTV1155

Action Scenes. I have trouble with this one too. Wanted to do it with Pokemon battle sequence but hars to explain.

But I try to draw stick figures with closet actions on papers.

I think I remembered other saying this.
Action before action sound effect.

Sound effect only from somewhere unexpected, standby alone.

If you can't do martial arts or not fan of exercises, then try play pretend in your room with toilet paper roll or a stick to imitate the fight scene actions.
Go chunnibyou.

If that don't flow, then go pick a fight with your siblings or friend or cousins if you got some for realistic play pretend. Don't be too physical!

But Action Scene to work need 5 things :
- Battleground
- Environmental effects and interactions
- Combat characters and abilites
- Sound effects of combat and dialogues
- Visual fight effects and aftermath effects

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
A lot of the time when someone asks a writing question, my answer is to read someone who has done it well. In this case, look up Sanderson's action sense. He's not a good writer (without an editor, he would legit me webnovel quality) but he's famous for how clear and exciting his action scenes are.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I don't know how to write action scenes, but I know....

WOOSH

How not to write one!

BAM! *dramatic tune*

A novel is not a manga....it doesn't need onomatopea sound effects!

DAM DAM DAAAAAM

*Points to the sun* You also want your narrative to be as clear and bright as that, because if your readers have to re-read the action scene several times to get what tf is happening then....

YOU DIED

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them

My advice is watch anime with action scenes and pause every so often and plot out those action scenes when you are done turn off the anime and read it to yourself or post it on the forum plus link to the vid to get people to verify and critique your work do this enough times and you should get an action scenes as good as any anime.
But you need patience and lots of concentration to translate written fight scenes so people can visualize them

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Going with this I should look for a harem of Space Waifus...
I
I have a baby who punches the keyboard when he wants to burp.
What I was really going to say is that I have a multicultural reverse harem, so I don't know if you can get waifus from space, but don't give up on your dreams!