Add ‘Discontinued’ as story status

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
We have complete and hiatus, but what about stories the author doesn’t want to continue anymore? (Or when authors don’t want to post on SH anymore.)

Actually, I just don’t want to start and get hooked with a story when it’s gonna be paywalled or there is no hope for it to get updated soon. >.>

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Yes, I second that. There are so many stories getting dropped, it would be nice to have a status for that as well. My only question would be: Should that status only be able to be assigned by the author or should it be like the hiatus one that will be automatically given after a certain amount of time? IIRC, the hiatus status is given automatically after 3 months of inactivity.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Yes, I second that. There are so many stories getting dropped, it would be nice to have a status for that as well. My only question would be: Should that status only be able to be assigned by the author or should it be like the hiatus one that will be automatically given after a certain amount of time? IIRC, the hiatus status is given automatically after 3 months of inactivity.
Probably given only by the author. The site itself deciding on discontinuing a story doesn't make much sense.

tiaf

Idk, maybe the site could add a ‘potentially discontinued’ after a year of no update. The author could change the status manually just like hiatus status.
If the author doesn’t bother to change it, then it would only show that they aren’t active anymore.

Though, that authors can mark it would be helpful enough already.

D

Deleted member 45782

or "Procrastinating status" hahaha
Second.

I wonder how much Webnovel earns you per month for that exclusivity.

I never took the deal since I liked my commenters here but recently I get barely any comments and my Patreon isn't getting anywhere either. If it's like 60 bucks per month I might consider it, even though the commenters there are mostly horrible.
Right thread?

I am not good with finishing stories. Probably would slap that discontinued status on. Or, even better @yunano34a1's suggestion: procrastinating status.

deltanz

Vanguard Squad
I can agree with this, though an auther could just put the story as complete to show it's done in some form or fashion but that's just my thoughts.

D

Deleted member 45782

I can agree with this, though an auther could just put the story as complete to show it's done in some form or fashion but that's just my thoughts.
True. But how will that separate from stories that are truly complete and not discontinued then?

tiaf

I think there is a clear difference between a story that has a proper ending (even it’s a BE) and a story that stopped the narration in the middle of act/conflict/plot.

As a reader, I would want to filter out incomplete stories without hope for its completion.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Yeah, I can totally get behind having a status like that to use. While I do plan stories ahead of time and hoard unpublished chapters, even I've dropped works halfway or early-on before.

Would be nice if I could label them as discontinued rather than delete them or leave them in hiatus. There's no way I'd continue writing for the title.

skillet

a frying pan
Idk, maybe the site could add a ‘potentially discontinued’ after a year of no update. The author could change the status manually just like hiatus status.
syosetu does this thing where it gives a warning to the reader 'this story has not been updated for the past # amount of years/months and has a high probability of being dropped. Please take this into account as you read' or something similar to old stories with no updates. That could be an idea?

Reactions: S10

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
syosetu does this thing where it gives a warning to the reader 'this story has not been updated for the past # amount of years/months and has a high probability of being dropped. Please take this into account as you read' or something similar to old stories with no updates. That could be an idea?
That would work... a lot.... but you can also already see it, right?

Jemini

As an author who discontinued and then rebooted a story, I can definitely voice some support for this. I did not add the "completed" tag to my discontinued story because I felt that would be highly inaccurate in describing the situation, so instead it's on permanent hiatus with a note at the end of the series explaining how it has been discontinued, as well as a note in the synopsis (in case anyone actually reads that.)

Although it may not be as heavily used, could I also request a "rebooted" tag? Basically, a tag to say the author is still working with the same story concept, but the story has been completely re-started and the version you see here is not the one that is having effort put into it right now.