Adding maps and charts to your stories

ScramblinMan

Exactly what it says on the title. When you guys write your stories do you ever add maps to your stories. Like how Tolkein has the maps of Middle Earth near the front, or how Warhammer usually includes a galaxy map to show the approximate locations of each faction.

Don't get me wrong I like describing locations and what not but I feel as though it has more impact if you can physically trace the journey.

These are just my observations and thoughts what do you guys do?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I would if it mattered, but the world I write in is geographically identical to our modern world.

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
I've made a few for myself as a rough reference.

Stories change over time, so I don't settle on anything concrete until my story has hashed out the world building and key locations.

Once that happens, I wouldn't mind sharing.

ScramblinMan

So in other words if you didn't write about our world (and y'know world geography mattered) you'd make a map or something. Welp I know what I'm doing in MS Paint later!

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
So in other words if you didn't write about our world (and y'know world geography mattered) you'd make a map or something. Welp I know what I'm doing in MS Paint later!
It doesn't have to be grand or fantasy-realistic. Even a few circular blobs where important locations are, should work.

Then refine as you go.

Jemini

My fantasy world is flat. It is also on the back of a giant celestial turtle. I do not have a map of it yet, but I might want to think about it sometime soon.

Mysticant

Resident Ant
Ant writes a xianxia, though it would not matter since ant could just info bombard the readers. Ant likes to be consistent in his story, so yes there is a map for every province, direction in which each sect is located, danger zones, enemy countries et. cetera. If ant ever felt lazy then he could probably just obliterate everything, then direction or a map won't matter since there is nothing left.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Mmmm nah, I'm not really into maps. But I do like the idea of faction locations having a certain vibe or look to them. Illustrating those backgrounds, architecture and local fashion sounds neat.

D

Deleted member 45782

Don't have to bc story ideas are all based on earth. Just different time zones / ancient fantasy but also relatable earth plane.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Exactly what it says on the title. When you guys write your stories do you ever add maps to your stories. Like how Tolkein has the maps of Middle Earth near the front, or how Warhammer usually includes a galaxy map to show the approximate locations of each faction.

Don't get me wrong I like describing locations and what not but I feel as though it has more impact if you can physically trace the journey.

These are just my observations and thoughts what do you guys do?
Ai-chan made a map for Ai-chan's Felicia's Second Life. You can look at it on Amazon. The map is part of the free preview.

Ai-chan also makes the school map for The Hounds of Hell, but it's been a pain in the ass. It's still halfway complete. Hopefully, Ai-chan can finish with it soon.

On the other hand, Ai-chan just uploaded the proficiency chart for the characters of Ai-chan's new story, Space Wreckers. You can have a look at it under glossary -> characters -> crew of crimson tempest

Below is one of them:

Planning on making proficiency chart for the enemies too. Compared to location maps, this is way easier.

Last edited:

Toripuru-S

🤣 I just talked about something like this on my Instagram yesterday.

It's not a map or chart, but I do play out every chapter on a makeshift game field to know what moves are possible or shouldn't be possible for the characters. Then I make adjustments in the story or vice versa accordingly, and take a photo to keep a log of what the game board is supposed to look like when the chapter is over.

I don't insert them into the chapters themselves (I insert other commissioned art instead 🥰).

I have thought about asking the artist to draw those photos into actual illustrations, but it hasn't felt necessary.