Advice on how to draw a stretched smile with the villainous look.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
*A headsup that I do not own any of the following art works below, the credit is to their respective artists who are extremely amazing.*

So while I am, as usual, distracted in life itself and decided to check on some artstyle in picrew to see if anyone resonates with what I want as the picture for my still in labor work. It occur to me that the work I seek is something of a moot point because it is all in my head and I cannot replicate it out.

The art style that I looked for has an example below, it is from a qidian work. Ps. Good lord it is not loading in the mobile version. Pps. This should work now.

And I am referring to the human colored one, not the ghastly white at the right. Though both have the constipated look that I wish that I myself can draw.

Then I imagined the person to smile, like so.

And ended up the closest thing I can find in google is this.

1545295.jpg

It is the ear to ear smile that I wanted to achieve, not just in the creepy department like so,

But also in the "I am seriously going to kill you and everything you love in the most painful way possible" type smile AKA the "I have gone pass the edge of rage and am now in the psychopathic manchild mode".

Hilariously, the best that I can do now is with an emoji, using paint. So any advice would be nice, I will just file it, somewhere.

sdsgsrrhf.png

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
*A headsup that I do not own any of the following art works below, the credit is to their respective artists who are extremely amazing.*

So while I am, as usual, distracted in life itself and decided to check on some artstyle in picrew to see if anyone resonates with what I want as the picture for my still in labor work. It occur to me that the work I seek is something of a moot point because it is all in my head and I cannot replicate it out.

The art style that I looked for has an example below, it is from a qidian work. Ps. Good lord it is not loading in the mobile version. Pps. This should work now.

And I am referring to the human colored one, not the ghastly white at the right. Though both have the constipated look that I wish that I myself can draw.

Then I imagined the person to smile, like so.

And ended up the closest thing I can find in google is this.

View attachment 5383

It is the ear to ear smile that I wanted to achieve, not just in the creepy department like so,

But also in the "I am seriously going to kill you and everything you love in the most painful way possible" type smile AKA the "I have gone pass the edge of rage and am now in the psychopathic manchild mode".

Hilariously, the best that I can do now is with an emoji, using paint. So any advice would be nice, I will just file it, somewhere.

View attachment 5384

Thanks for reading.
My guess with what makes it creepy is the fact it's unnatural to have a smile that is so wide.
I think it might also be the fact the teeth are clenched, possibly giving the feeling of a predator looking at its prey.

Then again, I am not an artist so my observations may prove inaccurate. Thus, take what I've said with a pinch of salt.
>w<

I wish you luck in getting an image you're happy with for your story, though!

X

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
evil smile.jpg
Edit: you will need to know the basics of drawing lips and eyes to use this guide

And an evil smile is not complete without vicious eyes and dark shades. :blobchristmas:

Edit2: goddamnit, why didn’t I add a darker background? That white is killing my poor eyes :blob_pout:

Last edited:

Ral

YES this is the feel that I want. Yet it is frustrating to draw, at all really, in human proportions.
Putting such an extreme expression on a realistic face would look very uncanny. Your own examples (and my painting) actually exemplify this uncanny, creepy feel. In the first place. Your eyes and lips can't form those shapes. Try it. Try to make that crescent shapes. No matter how you contort your face, you will not be able to.

I mean look at that the illustration Lehur have provided. It is essentially just an even more featureless version of your emoji.

The thing is, you can't really draw that in human proportions (which I think you mean realistic or in realistic proportions). The more "correct" or human the proportions are, the wronger it feels.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Putting such an extreme expression on a realistic face would look very uncanny. Your own examples (and my painting) actually exemplify this uncanny, creepy feel. In the first place. Your eyes and lips can't form those shapes. Try it. Try to make that crescent shapes. No matter how you contort your face, you will not be able to.

I mean look at that the illustration Lehur have provided. It is essentially just an even more featureless version of your emoji.

The thing is, you can't really draw that in human proportions (which I think you mean realistic or in realistic proportions). The more "correct" or human the proportions are, the wronger it feels.
Right now I am planning just to draw something like a side view of the face,

View attachment 5389

LUTHER STRODE. DAMN SON.
But this face looks too happy. Dammit

Ral

Oh lord, do I have social-emotional agnosia?
Well, it is easy to see this character looking happy/grinning in the same as the way we see a skull grinning:

It is not grinning or happy. It just appears so because of the lack of lips. Seeing a lot of teeth easily registers as a grin, because that is the case when we grin. A mouth shape, show lot of teeth. Boom! A grin:
grin.jpeg

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
20201223_190546.jpg

For the record, I hate this work, but damn that is a fine smile.