Advice thread on Writing LN and Webnovels

LWFlouisa

So, essentially what you're saying is that your entire first arc is a prologue to the real story? The hero doesn't actually appear until the second arc?

In a sense the first arc was originally intended as a the prequel. But the hero of the first arc began overtaking the second book, and became the central antagonist to Nadine, who shows up through out part two.

In this case, Hemato is Nadine's Yang. Another comparison is between Mario and Wario in Nentendo stuff.

Taking the long view, Hemato and Nadine are the same girl. As Anna-Marie is Ellen.

Last edited:

UltraRob

In a sense the first arc was originally intended as a the prequel. But the hero of the first arc began overtaking the second book, and became the central antagonist to Nadine, who shows up through out part two.

In this case, Hemato is Nadine's Yang. Another comparison is between Mario and Wario in Nentendo stuff.

I see. Then my advice is re-arrange things. Release the second original arc as the first arc so the audience can get to know the real hero of the story first and bond with them. Then at some point release the "prequel" arc later on when it's dramatically appropriate between other arcs. Sometimes you'll see this done close to the ending so the author can answer questions and build up to the final arc, like J.K. Rowling did with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. It can be a great way to fill in antagonist backstory before the end.

You can even use this to your advantage and edit it so there's lots of hints at to the antagonist's true nature, but leave them guessing until the big reveal. This is the advantage of having written the antagonist's story ahead of time. :s_wink:

LWFlouisa

I see. Then my advice is re-arrange things. Release the second original arc as the first arc so the audience can get to know the real hero of the story first and bond with them. Then at some point release the "prequel" arc later on when it's dramatically appropriate between other arcs. Sometimes you'll see this done close to the ending so the author can answer questions and build up to the final arc, like J.K. Rowling did with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. It can be a great way to fill in antagonist backstory before the end.

You can even use this to your advantage and edit it so there's lots of hints at to the antagonist's true nature, but leave them guessing until the big reveal. This is the advantage of having written the antagonist's story ahead of time. :s_wink:

Thanks will try this!

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Bumping this thread because oh Lordy, is this a gold mine.

BenJepheneT

In which sense?
Good guide book, good questions asked, good answers given. This guy definitely needs his recognition cause' after reading through his replies, it seems the guy knows his stuff. Who knows, maybe bumpin' this would get manen UltraRob some buys on his guide.

UltraRob

Good guide book, good questions asked, good answers given. This guy definitely needs his recognition cause' after reading through his replies, it seems the guy knows his stuff. Who knows, maybe bumpin' this would get manen UltraRob some buys on his guide.

Thanks for the kind words, and bump Ben! I'm glad you're finding the thread useful. :s_smile:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

Meh, seems more like classical marketing. Our good propaganda minister Goebbels always said, keep it simple for the masses, slogans not thinking, and facts and logic are superfluous. And not forgetting pictures. Everyone likes pictures.

BenJepheneT

Meh, seems more like classical marketing. Our good propaganda minister Goebbels always said, keep it simple for the masses, slogans not thinking, and facts and logic are superfluous. And not forgetting pictures. Everyone likes pictures.
Sorry, here's what I've read.

Yeah, masses of fog and haze.

Classic marketing or not, this guy shows that he knows his stuff. Give him a shot, c'mon.

Assurbanipal_II

Sorry, here's what I've read.

Yeah, masses of fog and haze.

Classic marketing or not, this guy shows that he knows his stuff. Give him a shot, c'mon.

I never said that he was wrong. He is in fact spot on, but you can deduce that much if you simply analyse the most popular novels. Similar themes, similar characters, similar tropes, similar black white thinking, ... Checkboxes, checkboxes everywhere

UltraRob

I never said that he was wrong. He is in fact spot on, but you can deduce that much if you simply analyse the most popular novels. Similar themes, similar characters, similar tropes, similar black white thinking, ... Checkboxes, checkboxes everywhere

The King of the Four Corners of the World (jr.) speaks the truth. :s_smile: The knowledge is out there for anyone who wants to go looking for it.

Although I would like to think I bring a little more to the table in 316 pages than just a bunch of checkboxes, plus I help save the reader a lot of time in putting together their own work with tips, tricks, and advice. :geek:

LWFlouisa

Your advice makes me curious, is the common length or a Light Novel a frequently asked question?

When I asked the previous one, I had forgotten each volume is roughly 20,000-25,000 words in their own right. ( I'm not including the collection of short stories in this estimate, which brings it to 200K including blog fiction. ) That's only about ... 100 pages or so tops.

( I've heard they only count pages, not word count in Japan, but not sure if that's true. ) Although the obsession with word count is a pain, if you're more at home writing short stories.

Assurbanipal_II

The King of the Four Corners of the World (jr.) speaks the truth. :s_smile: The knowledge is out there for anyone who wants to go looking for it.

Although I would like to think I bring a little more to the table in 316 pages than just a bunch of checkboxes, plus I help save the reader a lot of time in putting together their own work with tips, tricks, and advice. :geek:

Chapeau for the title, my friend, chapeau. :blob_reach:

Assurbanipal_II

You are most welcome, honored one. I love me some ancient military badasses. :blob_okay:

I never thought I would actually stumble over someone who knew the name, not to mention the Akkadian title. I am pleasantly surprised. :blob_cookie:

UltraRob

Your advice makes me curious, is the common length or a Light Novel a frequently asked question?

When I asked the previous one, I had forgotten each volume is roughly 20,000-25,000 words in their own right. ( I'm not including the collection of short stories in this estimate, which brings it to 200K including blog fiction. ) That's only about ... 100 pages or so tops.

( I've heard they only count pages, not word count in Japan, but not sure if that's true. ) Although the obsession with word count is a pain, if you're more at home writing short stories.

Yes. It is a common question because most writers who want to write in this field want to know how long to target their arcs for. Knowing how much space you have to play in is important for a writer because it determines a lot about how much you can get done in a single volume.

I've never heard that in Japan they count pages, and I wonder if that's true. Light Novel page counts are all over the place, with the only constant being that they try to be at least 100 pages or so to count as a Light Novel (and not a short story). They will then pad that out with art, extras like short stories, previews, notes, and so on. In that sense, you could probably market a 25,000 world LN with a few short extras and still call it a LN.

Then again, in the eBook publishing age, page counts are pretty meaningless unless they're Kindle Unlimited Pages, and audiences care more about the content of the story than the length. (Although, when it comes to fantasy, they do still prefer longer works because of the immersion factor.) As long as something tops 25,000 words these days, I think most most readers will accept it as a "novel", even when it should be a "novelette" in actual publishing terms.

LWFlouisa

Yes. It is a common question because most writers who want to write in this field want to know how long to target their arcs for. Knowing how much space you have to play in is important for a writer because it determines a lot about how much you can get done in a single volume.

I've never heard that in Japan they count pages, and I wonder if that's true. Light Novel page counts are all over the place, with the only constant being that they try to be at least 100 pages or so to count as a Light Novel (and not a short story). They will then pad that out with art, extras like short stories, previews, notes, and so on. In that sense, you could probably market a 25,000 world LN with a few short extras and still call it a LN.

Then again, in the eBook publishing age, page counts are pretty meaningless unless they're Kindle Unlimited Pages, and audiences care more about the content of the story than the length. (Although, when it comes to fantasy, they do still prefer longer works because of the immersion factor.) As long as something tops 25,000 words these days, I think most most readers will accept it as a "novel", even when it should be a "novelette" in actual publishing terms.

I'll try that route then then. ( Interesting Uploaded Fairy is just that, a bunch of short stories that build to a novel. ) I might try padding it with character sketches and designs that will show up in the GN later.

UltraRob

I never thought I would actually stumble over someone who knew the name, not to mention the Akkadian title. I am pleasantly surprised. :blob_cookie:

My area of focus is Asian history (I did a minor in Japanese history my first time at University), but listening to podcasts like Dan Carlin's Hardcore History has given me an appreciation of some of history's other great leaders. If I may ask, why did you pick that name?

Assurbanipal_II

My area of focus is Asian history (I did a minor in Japanese history my first time at University), but listening to podcasts like Dan Carlin's Hardcore History has given me an appreciation of some of history's other great leaders. If I may ask, why did you pick that name?

Nobody knows him except for the history buffs so the name is most of the times free to pick across multiple sites. :blob_reach: Otherwise, ... Well, after all, I have to conquer the world for Assur.

UltraRob

Nobody knows him except for the history buffs so the name is most of the times free to pick across multiple sites. :blob_reach: Otherwise, ... Well, after all, I have to conquer the world for Assur.

Yes, sadly not many would know his name. He was a great warrior and thinker, though.

Indeed. Glory to you in your conquests, for Assur is mighty and will shine favor upon those who devote themselves to him!