" Wasting time is a sin "
" Making other doing so is No good "
" My novel is one of reason others losing their time "

Still...
I want to write ...
But that bothering me.
Cuz of that, when someone said this to me

" What if you are THE ONLY ONE who is reading your own stories FOR REAL "

I fell both happy and sad in the same time.

Erys

Her Highness
What are you thinking about these...?
Wasting time falls under the category of vain, useless act. It's not outrightly prohibited, but it is a thing needs to be avoided to attain “true success”. One’s time is the period for work, either to achieve eternal happiness in the hereafter or to cause oneself destruction and misery.

MisterSyafiq

isn't nobody reading it a good thing, too?
Yap... Thinking it is true, motivate me and
lessen my fear of initial random reasons I write at first to not write
Wasting time falls under the category of vain, useless act. It's not outrightly prohibited, but it is a thing needs to be avoided to attain “true success”. One’s time is the period for work, either to achieve eternal happiness in the hereafter or to cause oneself destruction and misery.
...i do love your explanation

D

Deleted member 54065

Waste of time depends on a person's definition. As such, while there is a sliver of truth in 'waste = sinful', one has to define what for them is 'waste'.

Because taking a break from the stupidities of this world is self-care, not sin.

Sorry, I can't seem to understand this part.

I believe a majority of internet users are way above their age of consent (18 or 21, depending on the country), which means, we are old enough to distinguish right from wrong.

And having that ability shows that we are aware of how we spend our time. Why blame the author for something he does best for someone else's irresponsibility? That's just plain wrong.

Still...
I want to write ...
But that bothering me.
Write. Get discouraged, but still, write. If you love what you do, then continue doing it.

7 Billion people in this planet and only you are reading your work? I beg to differ. Somehow, someplace else, there's that another person who finds your work interesting/fun.

I'm speaking from experience. I'm not the best writer out there, but I do my best in my work. And my readers appreciate it.

Screenshot_20220630_224615_com.qidian.Int.reader.jpg
Screenshot_20220630_224533_com.android.chrome.jpg

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
Sorry, I think I need to take my schizo meds before I read this post

Edited; just do what you love. Write if you find it fun.

I'd even consider making a joke novel just cause why not.

JayDirex

Still...
I want to write ...
But that bothering me.

I fell both happy and sad in the same time.

:blob_reach: :blob_nom: I know, bro. But I won't lie to you. If you want the love of the readers you have to write what they want.

But that does not mean you can't write for yourself. I'm just saying, in this particular scenario, write a story both you and the readers will like. And it's Win Win.

Is that easy? Depends on how similar your taste is to the average SH reader.

Am I following that advice? Not at all... shrugs.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Yap... Thinking it is true, motivate me and
lessen my fear of initial random reasons I write at first to not write
I'm trying to explain it to Sailus, not agree with you.
If it helps you stay on track, then good, but I don't see point in the idea beyond that.

MisterSyafiq

Sorry, I think I need to take my schizo meds before I read this post

Edited; just do what you love. Write if you find it fun.

I'd even consider making a joke novel just cause why not.
Cuz why not... How straight you are 🤣
:blob_reach: :blob_nom: I know, bro. But I won't lie to you. If you want the love of the readers you have to write what they want.

But that does not mean you can't write for yourself. I'm just saying, in this particular scenario, write a story both you and the readers will like. And it's Win Win.

Is that easy? Depends on how similar your taste is to the average SH reader.

Am I following that advice? Not at all... shrugs.

It's Precious advice...
And yeah, challenging to follow xD
but I don't see point in the idea beyond that.
True...

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
If you're afraid to waste other people's time, how about wasting your own time on reading my degenerate smut? My MC ponders a lot uselessly too until his final insight.

Alright, I'll spare you the hassle of reading it and go right into my answer to your question:
Reality is infinitely complex. The massive uncertainty and unknowns makes it impossible to rationally determine what's optimal and what's a waste. Everything can go well or backfire, no one has a clue. You can always produce rational "excuses", "pretexts" and "counter-arguments" for any complex decisions, so it's meaningless to overthink those cases. Rationality is a tool of adaptability and survival, it's not the driving force of your psyche.

As an example, I can weave elaborate bullshit excuses about why stories are valuable.
At their core, stories are entertaining lessons about hidden patterns of life. It's a form of information transfert that was used beyond the beginning of civilizations to provide new individuals with tools to speed up their journey of self-discovery and understanding the world. Bad stories are forgotten because they provide nothing useful for their readers. They are just empty recycled gimmicks that bait readers without ever delivering anything of substance. As you aim to become a successful writer, you don't have a choice but to provide value through some form of wisdom woven in your plot that may resonate with some readers. Therefore, writing is useful and valuable by nature.

Humans seek entertainment to satisfy the call of the dopamine, which primary function is to motivate information seeking behavior. Along with opioids, they both form the foundation of Learning. A story is a medium for learning about emotions, morals, and anything. For instance, it can explore the dark side of humanity like our blind love for justice (we like violence when it's justified by justice whether it's based on truth or falsehood). Hence, this knowledge provides better ways to counter problems that plague life (malice, cruelty, injustice, self-conflict between desires and morals).

Sure, hedonism and unchecked pursuit of novelty to satisfy our dopamine addiction may look useless. Just like how you can learn stuff you'll never need in your life. In that case, why would anyone attend to school. If there so many useless knowledge that are unneeded, doesn't that rationally justify straight dropping out?

No matter how you weave arguments, the last judge to determine whether something is valuable is your personality/ego, not your rationality.

From the moment species evolved with sensory and motor organs, they needed arbitrary commands to dictate how they would acquire resources and use them: Allocate their brain to gather sensory informations about food, organize informations to form paths, process data to assess dangers and form decisions, etc. Those sets of instincts drive all living organisms without ever asking the individual "hey, do you think what you're doing is useful?" And the way those instincts allocate resources (often in unbalanced ratios) create specialties for the individual (strengths from overinvested mental activity, and weakness from the underinvested mental side)

As evolved humans are, we still have and need those directives to guide us through life, because no one has a fucking clue about how things are gonna turn out. Those primal instincts decide what's important for us, not the other way around. Rationality are a supplementary tool to either aid fulfill your instincts' prescripts, or dodge the cliffs where those instincts lead you.

Not to constantly spit the usual quote but:
“If anyone on the verge of action should judge himself according to the outcome, he would never begin. Even though the result may gladden the whole world, that cannot help the hero; for he knows the result only when the whole thing is over, and that is not how he became a hero, but by virtue of the fact that he began.” ― Søren Kierkegaard, Fear and Trembling

You might never know whether your actions were useful or not. Sometimes the answer may come well after your death. Not even our speck of rationality could ever fathom the answers.

No matter how much you'll overthink whether your ego is useful for the community or not, you'll be haunted with that inborn prescript until you die. So you better direct your thinking about how you can make your stories useful and valuable instead of wondering if your endeavors will ever be rewarded.

MisterSyafiq

If you're afraid to waste other people's time, how about wasting your own time on reading my degenerate smut? My MC ponders a lot uselessly too until his final insight.

Alright, I'll spare you the hassle of reading it and go right into my answer to your question:
Reality is infinitely complex. The massive uncertainty and unknowns makes it impossible to rationally determine what's optimal and what's a waste. Everything can go well or backfire, no one has a clue. You can always produce rational "excuses", "pretexts" and "counter-arguments" for any complex decisions, so it's meaningless to overthink those cases. Rationality is a tool of adaptability and survival, it's not the driving force of your psyche.

As an example, I can weave elaborate bullshit excuses about why stories are valuable.
At their core, stories are entertaining lessons about hidden patterns of life. It's a form of information transfert that was used beyond the beginning of civilizations to provide new individuals with tools to speed up their journey of self-discovery and understanding the world. Bad stories are forgotten because they provide nothing useful for their readers. They are just empty recycled gimmicks that bait readers without ever delivering anything of substance. As you aim to become a successful writer, you don't have a choice but to provide value through some form of wisdom woven in your plot that may resonate with some readers. Therefore, writing is useful and valuable by nature.

Humans seek entertainment to satisfy the call of the dopamine, which primary function is to motivate information seeking behavior. Along with opioids, they both form the foundation of Learning. A story is a medium for learning about emotions, morals, and anything. For instance, it can explore the dark side of humanity like our blind love for justice (we like violence when it's justified by justice whether it's based on truth or falsehood). Hence, this knowledge provides better ways to counter problems that plague life (malice, cruelty, injustice, self-conflict between desires and morals).

Sure, hedonism and unchecked pursuit of novelty to satisfy our dopamine addiction may look useless. Just like how you can learn stuff you'll never need in your life. In that case, why would anyone attend to school. If there so many useless knowledge that are unneeded, doesn't that rationally justify straight dropping out?

No matter how you weave arguments, the last judge to determine whether something is valuable is your personality/ego, not your rationality.

From the moment species evolved with sensory and motor organs, they needed arbitrary commands to dictate how they would acquire resources and use them: Allocate their brain to gather sensory informations about food, organize informations to form paths, process data to assess dangers and form decisions, etc. Those sets of instincts drive all living organisms without ever asking the individual "hey, do you think what you're doing is useful?" And the way those instincts allocate resources (often in unbalanced ratios) create specialties for the individual (strengths from overinvested mental activity, and weakness from the underinvested mental side)

As evolved humans are, we still have and need those directives to guide us through life, because no one has a fucking clue about how things are gonna turn out. Those primal instincts decide what's important for us, not the other way around. Rationality are a supplementary tool to either aid fulfill your instincts' prescripts, or dodge the cliffs where those instincts lead you.

Not to constantly spit the usual quote but:
“If anyone on the verge of action should judge himself according to the outcome, he would never begin. Even though the result may gladden the whole world, that cannot help the hero; for he knows the result only when the whole thing is over, and that is not how he became a hero, but by virtue of the fact that he began.” ― Søren Kierkegaard, Fear and Trembling

You might never know whether your actions were useful or not. Sometimes the answer may come well after your death. Not even our speck of rationality could ever fathom the answers.

No matter how much you'll overthink whether your ego is useful for the community or not, you'll be haunted with that inborn prescript until you die. So you better direct your thinking about how you can make your stories useful and valuable instead of wondering if your endeavors will ever be rewarded.
So...
I stuck at my own questions in my head, heh...
Well...
Cuz of that I want to see others oppinion.
But yeah... You are right

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
So...
I stuck at my own questions in my head, heh...
Well...
Cuz of that I want to see others oppinion.
But yeah... You are right
Sorry if my post sounded patronizing, your questioning is perfectly normal and reaching an answer that lets you move forward is something I consider universally important.

Any person who grew past childhood face their rational doubt at some point. But if they can't overcome it, they can't become the 'hero' (to reuse the term of Fear and Trembling) they're supposed to become

Last edited:

MisterSyafiq

Sorry if my post sounded patronizing, your questioning is perfectly normal and reaching an answer that lets you move forward is something I consider universally important.

Any person who grew past childhood face their rational doubt at some point. But if they can't overcome it, they can't become the 'hero' (to reuse the term of Fear and Trembling) you're supposed to become
No need to feel sorry,
I do appreciate that you can see throught my problem.
The Immortal villain called my own self is too hard to fight.
Being A Hero for myself was sure harder than for others that make me cry everytime I am thinking about that

Last edited: