Adventurer's Guild [AGFS] Adventurer's Guild Frontier Saga - Guild Thread

AG_Newsletter

QUEST REPORT - Erandil
Finally, something for me to do that doesn't involve going into battle and is within my area of expertise. I never tried out the book's method of identifying alchemical ingredients, I was well versed enough on how to do it. It boils down to having a sixth sense that enables the individual to detect mana. Except this sense isn't focused on the eyes like most mana wielders would do but instead, through taste. By grinding ingredients down similar to a mortar and pestle, the user would be able to detect which properties an ingredient would have.

The only way for the magical properties of alchemical ingredients to be potent, they needed to be processed into a potion so just eating the ingredients directly has a minor effect. From the book, an alchemist experienced in Wortcraft would be able to detect multiple properties in a single ingredient.

But as a fledgeling in the art of alchemy, it would be a wonder if I could even detect a single one. So I scoured the nearby forest southwest of the Imperial outpost/village in hopes of finding the herbs for the quest.

Surprisingly, my trek towards the forest was uneventful as I had heard that the area around the village was crawling with monsters. Yet I hadn't even encountered a single slime. Must be my lucky day.

Half an hour later, I reached the outskirts of the forest and began working. Fortunately, the book also gave details about differentiating a normal plant to an alchemical plant. It all came down to appearance as alchemical ingredients were vibrant and had a unique smell most of the time. I did manage to come across a few red flowers that looked like a wort but far more larger in comparison, and they fit the description of an ingredient, now to find out what kind of ingredient this is. But even after consuming three flowers, not only did I not find out anything, the flowers also left a bitter taste in my mouth which lingered for awhile. It seems like these flowers liked sprouting underneath a few trees that were distinctly different from the rest of the forest, which I felt was more than a coincidence.

Eventually, after eating what I had counted ten more similar flowers, I was able to detect the healing properties of the plant. Though the effect was miniscule, it was enough to heal minor wounds if it was created into a potion or medicinal paste. Fortunately, I brought along my alchemy set with me when I came to this new land and were waiting for me in my room at an inn I had rented out.

The thought of selling minor healing potions popped up in my mind but if I wanted to do that, I needed one more ingredient that synergizes with the red flower. Those trees I found the where flowers were at before were of interest and I need to venture out more to study these trees. For now, I'll hand in the flowers, with two more extra because I was feeling generous, and the information I gathered about the location and description of these plants. Maybe that would give me more merit in the guild which should be beneficial to street rat like me.

What's the name of the flowers though? I may need to check in with the guild for information about herbalism in this continent but for now I'll just call these Redworts.
Guild Receptionist: ... Please refrain from ingesting unknown ingredients, especially in the wilderness where no one can save you if they turn out to be toxic. You were lucky enough to find a mostly harmless plant this time, but it happens to bear a striking resemblance to a highly toxic plant called Red Oleander. The Guild has information about known local flora available in the Records Room. Make use of it.

The new herb has been temporarily registered as Erandil's Redwort, until proper categorization can occur.

Evaluation: Quest completed

Reward: 10 G for complete commission,
5 G and a copy of Alchemy for Dummies (Union River Region; 3rd Edition) for incomplete commission.

Addendum: A mistake was made in counting out payment. This has been corrected.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Monster Continent | Survey Regions [50 G | Variable rewards]
Quest Report - Merdi

The village itself is on a large island in the middle of the Union River, about halfa-day's journey away from the bay the Empire's ship is anchored at. In between the two lies a long stretch of shifting islands and swampland where the river floods during the rain.

Note that the water is fast flowing in some places, and undertows may drag people down into tangled root systems where they may drown. Please stay cautious when swimming, even in water that appears calm on the surface.

Thanks to the Empire's marines, most of the major threats have been cleared from the area, but a few stragglers either hid or moved into the region afterwards. A few large snakes and lizards, mostly. There's also a variety of small predators, carnivorous plants, and poisonous bugs, but nothing too notable. Their habit of hiding under the water and attacking passersby is predictable, but still dangerous. Travelers should be wary and move in numbers.

Because of the dense vegetation and freshwater, the place is a goldmine of alchemical plants and magical animals. The water itself often contains fish, algae, reeds, and water lily type plants. The mud and soil contains clay, roots, and burrowing critters. And of course, the land is covered in grasses, trees, and small mammals. Multiple Dryads tried to play pranks on me during my passage, but they sadly lack any alchemical purpose beyond being good kindling. None of the large insects you'd expect to find exist here, but smaller insects like mundane mosquitos are common and annoying.

At night, magical lights will appear and race across the landscape. My attempts to identify the source of the light have all failed, and travelers are warned to ignore them for fear of losing their way. Small bats and moths will also appear during the night, attracted to the light of several different varieties of night-blooming plants.

The island the Village was built on is quite large, and there are several species of plants and animals that do not appear even just across the river from it. In order to protect these unique specimens, it's advised to take care when harvesting them and to plan the Village's development so that their habitat will not be damaged. I've already collected several seeds that show promise for my garden.

Details about all observed flora, fauna and minerals are included in the attached scroll.

Word Count: 66 + 398 = 464

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
OPEN - CAIDO

"You may interact with them, but never interfere with their operations. This is the Empire's decision, you're allowed to reveal that you're a mage but not as the Arcane Tower's Mage. I trust you Caido, when I die of old age, You will take over my position. Do not fail me on this one."

"I assure you, master"

Caido remembered his conversation with his master back at the Arcane Tower.

He is told to take on an identity of a wandering mage and had him board a ship towards the Monster Continent. He and his master discussed that maybe with his Runic Magic, he can decipher the language of intelligent monsters and talk to them. So pointless bloodshed could be avoided if possible since intelligent monsters are hard to deal with especially when they form a grudge against somebody, and also that if they form a friendly relationship with some tribes, those monsters might be able to help them.

He finally arrived at the Village after many weeks of the agonizing journey and wanted to register at the Guild.

This mission will be long, but time doesn't affect him much, he can live for hundreds of years while remaining youthful, there are even cases of elves living way beyond a millennium. He has all the time in the world, but his Master doesn't. Back in the empire, the other humanoid races are shunned and discriminated against by humans. Although legally they are citizens, the populous see them as outsiders, savage beasts that deserve to be mutilated and killed. Caido himself never had escaped such fate. Other races are given rights and cannot be harmed else the offender will immediately be imprisoned or might even be executed. But that doesn't stop the humans from their harsh opinions and isolating other demi-humans in their society.

When their tribe immigrated to the Empire, their jobs' wages are all on the level of the minimum wage a human is entitled to for doing the same job. But because of their long life spans, it doesn't really matter as they can work for many years to earn the same wealth. Caido was young when his Master saw his potential in him. It is his Master's special eye talent, he can see the potential of others in terms of their magic, and knowing about his rare Runic Magic only made him more acceptable as part of the Arcane Tower where all other demi-humans are barely able to get into, let alone being a direct disciple of an Archmage. His Master was old, he's nearing the end of his life. But his master promised to wait for his return before his death and he will replace him as one of the Archmages.

As he reminisced on the things that happened in his live, he walked. Finding a spot underneath a tree, he pulled out a blue orb. It was a finished product the arcane tower finally produced, a Conversation Orb. Only two had been perfected after many grueling years of research and hundreds of prototypes and this is its final test. If it can connect him to his master who had the other. The product will finally be finished as if it can connect from the Empire all the way to the Monster Continent. Then after a decade, it might be able to connect every person in all continents.

He activated it and surely, it is working. He saw their images as his Master congratulated him on his safe arrival to the Monster Continent and the Artisans are jumping from joy as their product finally is truly finished. He's turning and was about go to the guild to register himself when suddenly he heard someone shouting. He looked at the distance and saw this guy was holding a stick and trying to hit this bug… No, with his keen eyes, it's a fairy. But he dismissed it as fairies rarely hurt other creatures. Sooner, shouting turned into crying as this lad ran away dropping the things he had been carrying.

Idiot…
"Eeeeeeeeeh? The giant fled...?"

What do I do now? What do I do now?

Mmmmmmmmmm...
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Search for something fun!

Something fun... Something fun...

Oh! There's a shiny ball there!

I flew towards the shiny ball, "Hey, mister! Let me play with the shiny ball too! It looks fun! It looks fun!"
Word Count: 53​

ASimplePerson

"Eeeeeeeeeh? The giant fled...?"

What do I do now? What do I do now?

Mmmmmmmmmm...
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Search for something fun!

Something fun... Something fun...

Oh! There's a shiny ball there!

I flew towards the shiny ball, "Hey, mister! Let me play with the shiny ball too! It looks fun! It looks fun!"
Word Count: 53​
"Oh, little fairy. Sadly it's used for communication, not for playing." He gently pat the fairy. "Now, I'll be on my way if you don't mind me." Since fairies most of the time are harmless and playful creatures, he doesn't really mind patting it. It's not like it's the first fairy he had encountered, after all.

Caido slowly walked away while the fairy also sadly flew away.

He arrived at the guild and successfully registered himself.

He quietly observes the operations of the guild. He also is able to socialize with other people in the village. Until a day came that a large unidentified predator attacked, the subsequent day, a quest was posted and he was deciding on taking it on.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Monster Continent | Survey Regions [50 G | Variable rewards]

Quest Report - Merdi

Several monsters have attacked from the north or west, so I've taken several trips to scout out those areas.

Following along the river, the forest gets denser and more of the branch rivers that give it its name appear. The shorter vegetation thins out as you get further from the ocean, meaning there are fewer places for critters to hide.

As such, most of the monsters here forgo the use of ambushes, demonstrating higher physical ability and either fleeing or striking with brutal savagery. The notable exception are creatures that take advantage of the dense canopy to hide in the trees, so watch out for ambushes from above.

Additionally, the lack of sunlight means alchemical plants are more difficult to find, though fungi and creepers flourish. But if one is willing to climb, there are many interesting reagents and animals that live in the light above. Just make sure you don't get bit by a snake or wasp. It's a long way down.

During the night, the forest gets a bit stranger. Some kind of magic is at work, makes the place seem scarier than it is. And it's scary enough on its own... The nocturnal monsters here put the daywalkers to shame in terms of ferocity, and anything that's not a vicious brute is decidedly venomous or supernaturally gifted. All the weaker creatures take shelter, and I advise any adventurers to follow suit by returning to the Village at night.

Unfortunately, the most notable feature of the western forest is the numerous Monster tribes that make it their home. There were a number of abandoned camps that were likely destroyed by monsters, but I've also noted active populations of Goblins, Orcs, Wolfkin, Myconids and even Trolls, though I only spotted a pack of twelve individuals. I'm not senseless enough to scout the active places out by myself, though, so I leave it to others to get the details. Just know that you won't be alone if you go west.

Breaking off from the safety of the river, if you head north and west away from the ocean's shore, you'll find the forest is broken up by foothills. The rough terrain is difficult to traverse, but it means there's a lot more light and a lot less waterlogged ground than in most of the places we can reach. Naturally that means there's access to flora that prefer a dryer environment, and the creatures that feed on those plants.

Astonishingly, the whole place has a bit of a 'breathing' cycle. Every hundred minutes or so, the currents of mana change. During a 'warm' current, fire and air mana circulates in from the northern mountains. During a 'cool' current, water and earth mana circulate in from the southern forests and the ocean.

The local magical creatures seem to have adapted to this cycle by going dormant during a bad cycle and frantically going about their business during their preferred cycle. As such, the creatures that you'll encounter are different depending on which mana is flowing- but either way, they're slightly more aggressive than you'd expect.

Although there are slight differences in what appears during the day and night, it's far less important than the arcane cycle. Still, the nightdwellers have a slight advantage against most humans in the darkness, so take shelter in the Village or a cave if you can. Just be prepared to defend the place from hibernating critters every time the cycle changes.

The hills give easy access to decent quality stone(and lichen!), which is a relief. We'll need to set up a quarry if we want to keep the Village stocked up. Just watch out for the denizens of the earth. We've already been hit by those landsharks, but there's also stone elementals and worse out here. Like those blasted Giantkin... Ogres and Ettins seem to pop up every other hill. Usually alone, thankfully, or I wouldn't be writing this report.

The biggest problem I've run into surveying the hills is the Lagomorphs. Some of 'em look like Harekin, and some of 'em like damn giant rabbits. Shapechangers, at a guess. They show up and start waving spears and shouting at me in some Monster language. Needless to say, a very confusing experience, and one I don't care to repeat.

Until those bunnies are pacified, I won't be able to survey the northern mountains or the green belt that separates them from the ocean. A shame, since I'm sure they'll be a good source of ore. Can practically feel it in that fire mana. Either way, I'll be heading south from now on.

Details about all observed flora, fauna and minerals are included in the attached scroll.

Word Count: 64 + 779 = 843

Quaesitor

Freestyle (OPEN) - Dallur

Having just departed from a trading vessel that also carried some passengers to the frontier, Dallur takes a look around over the village. Not particularly developed. That serves him just right, though it being a little more developed would be more comfortable. No matter.

With a friendly smile on his face, he strolls into the village after straightening out his clothes, politely greeting whoever he passes by.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Frontier Village | #GE2 | Gather 10 lumber [10 G | +1 Village Wood Supply]

Quest Report - Merdi

Merdi did not need gold. The funds she'd brought along were more than enough for the basic costs of living, and she received even more gold from the Empire for taking the trip. There were a few villagers that had taken to selling useful products, but they tended to be low quality and highly overpriced. The disadvantage of low supply, high demand, and a literal ton of gold with nothing to use it on.

However, Merdi could make most anything on her own. In fact, she'd taken to selling slightly higher quality wares at slightly lower prices just to spite everyone else. Her slime membrane waterskins were a particularly good deal. So, she had no need for more gold.

What she did need, was a warm, dry place to sleep. And a hot bath. That was why she was on the edge of the forest today.

Maybe it was laziness, but she'd assumed that some basic necessities would be taken care of already by the time she arrived. Even when it wasn't done, she'd gone off exploring like a fresh-faced adventurer on their first day. It wasn't a bad way to spend the time, and she'd come out of it with a lot of useful goods and materials. But... she was still sleeping in a Conjured Hut made by a magic tool. It was a waste of monster cores.

The local tavern was overbooked. Those... Goblin-made huts at the edge of the village were also occupied. So she was organizing construction work instead of crafting. Maybe that was why she was in such a bad mood.

The local slimes and animals fled at the sight of her, even if they were normally aggressive. That had the benefit of allowing her to herd villagers around instead of wasting precious storage on common rocks and wood... But it didn't leave any easy outlets for her frustration.

Instead she used a ring-shaped magic tool on her left hand to uproot trees, and then carved them to pieces with a second one. Anything that looked usable for her work was stored away. The remaining neatly cut boards were then handed off to her impromptu porters.

It wasn't fulfilling work, but it kept her from losing her head entirely. Hopefully the work would be done soon...

Word Count: 43 + 381 = 424

Quaesitor

Freestyle (OPEN) - Dallur

After a few days of getting to know the village, accompanied by living off the land as well as sleeping under a tree in the village, Dallur rises once more, brushing off the dirt from his clothes with practiced ease. Still, this is more for appearances - whether he is dirty or not matters little to him, but more to others.

That said and done, he makes his way to the local market, looking around the stalls and inspecting the goods, always politely greeting those he passes by.