Adventurer's Guild [AGSA] Adventurer's Guild Sky Archipelago - OOC Room

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
The main worry/concern is that there are some players who enjoy the medieval fantasy (ish) setting, and likely wrote their stories with that kind of setting (i.e. their characters wear plate armor and use swords, so plate armor can't become obsolete), so large sci-fi technological revolutions would break other people's stories if it affected the entire world.

Playing an inventor character is okay if you can find a way that their inventions wouldn't affect the entire world~
Thats kinda hard though since inventors actually revolutionized civilizations. At most I could do is limiting inventions through the lack of skills, materials or even complex magic process.

Inventors are like people who revolutionized a civilization through their tech such as making phones(information era), guns(Gunpowder era) or even tougher armor(militaristic era). But its not like one can easily create one out of thin air. I only ask if its possible. Just limit one's potential and even do repair jobs at first before slowly explanding one's work to the world. Just asking if its possible if I can slowly start to revolutionize slow.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Thats kinda hard though since inventors actually revolutionized civilizations. At most I could do is limiting inventions through the lack of skills, materials or even complex magic process.

Inventors are like people who revolutionized a civilization through their tech such as making phones(information era), guns(Gunpowder era) or even tougher armor(militaristic era). But its not like one can easily create one out of thin air. I only ask if its possible. Just limit one's potential and even do repair jobs at first before slowly explanding one's work to the world. Just asking if its possible if I can slowly start to revolutionize slow.
I think my main suggestions would be to avoid drastic world-shattering inventions, and balance inventions such that medieval fantasy technology is still relevant. Basically, if your character invented machine guns, there would need to be a reason why lots of characters would still wear plate armor and ride horses. A hand-wavy reason is provided in the Sky Archipelago registration page description ("magic is considered superior to electricity and many complex machines break when exposed to magic"), but it's extremely vague.

Small inventions would be totally okay. IMO golems could be totally reasonable inventions, assuming they were fairly expensive to make and most people can't afford to have one. This wouldn't change the world overall too much and it wouldn't affect most people's stories.

There is also a steam punk element of this setting (i.e. airships), so a lot of inventions in the steam punk technology range would probably be fine.

Way

I suppose that the key here is to make marvels possible, but unable to proliferate, which is really what made any advancement a gamechanger in real life.

A super-battleship in a fantasy setting may be a wonder, but ultimately just a wonder. It may lay waste to a city, but ultimately the enemy usually has tricks of their own that can eventually take it down. And once that is done, there's that. In real life, a revolutionary battleship means there could be many, many more.

Last edited:

ArcadiaBlade

I think my main suggestions would be to avoid drastic world-shattering inventions, and balance inventions such that medieval fantasy technology is still relevant. Basically, if your character invented machine guns, there would need to be a reason why lots of characters would still wear plate armor and ride horses. A hand-wavy reason is provided in the Sky Archipelago registration page description ("magic is considered superior to electricity and many complex machines break when exposed to magic"), but it's extremely vague.

Small inventions would be totally okay. IMO golems could be totally reasonable inventions, assuming they were fairly expensive to make and most people can't afford to have one. This wouldn't change the world overall too much and it wouldn't affect most people's stories.

There is also a steam punk element of this setting (i.e. airships), so a lot of inventions in the steam punk technology range would probably be fine.
Sounds Plausible and considering the character I planned to make(too scared to show off his inventions), it may seem possible for him to actually create one but for him to build world-shattering creations would akin for him to comitting suicide.

As for the combining electricity and magic, I could actually make a loophole to that since its kinda vague not to poke around with it with my own idea.

The small inventions is what I am planning on making such as making a compressor for crafting, a better mixer for alchemy and science related stuff, toilets, phones and other small time inventions that makes things easier for people. My character is the guy who really wants to make a better life of people.

His backstory is kinda sad since he is the guy who wants to make people's lives better and created inventions to help around the world but his world is quite religious and deems his work as 'Heretical'(making people lazy = making people weaker) and cause him to be witchhunted by the churched and burned in fire.

I suppose that the key here is to make marvels possible, but unable to proliferate and be mass-produced, which is really what made any advancement a gamechanger in real life.

A super-battleship in a fantasy setting may be a wonder, but ultimately just a wonder. It may lay waste to a city, but ultimately the enemy usually has tricks of their own that can eventually take it down. And once that is done, there's that. In real life, a revolutionary battleship means there could be many, many more.
I think one way I can unable to create his works is that his creations are hardcoded into data. You can copy my work but unable to weaponize it, something like that. Plus, its not like an inventor is actually OP. His inventions can revolutionized the world but it doesn't mean that its unstoppable. There are limits as to what his inventions can do.

Malonymous

A few quick questions:

1. Would there be an overarching plot at some point, including possibly finding some entity or phenomenon responsible for why the Sky Archipelago originally got isekai'd? Is that something players might come up with?

2. Is there any kind of translation magic for communicating with intelligent species in the New World who don't speak the same language? Any chance they would speak the Common Tongue, or could learning their language become a potential quest somehow?

3. This one is just silly, no interest in doing this but I'm curious~... What would player versus player combat look like here :blob_sweat:

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Sounds Plausible and considering the character I planned to make(too scared to show off his inventions), it may seem possible for him to actually create one but for him to build world-shattering creations would akin for him to comitting suicide.

As for the combining electricity and magic, I could actually make a loophole to that since its kinda vague not to poke around with it with my own idea.

The small inventions is what I am planning on making such as making a compressor for crafting, a better mixer for alchemy and science related stuff, toilets, phones and other small time inventions that makes things easier for people. My character is the guy who really wants to make a better life of people.

His backstory is kinda sad since he is the guy who wants to make people's lives better and created inventions to help around the world but his world is quite religious and deems his work as 'Heretical'(making people lazy = making people weaker) and cause him to be witchhunted by the churched and burned in fire.

I think one way I can unable to create his works is that his creations are hardcoded into data. You can copy my work but unable to weaponize it, something like that. Plus, its not like an inventor is actually OP. His inventions can revolutionized the world but it doesn't mean that its unstoppable. There are limits as to what his inventions can do.
I think a lot of the smaller inventions seem to be okay!

Like @Way said, making a prototype of nearly anything is probably fine, but it mainly becomes an issue if you want to mass produce it and spread it everywhere. For example, with a phone invention would you be planning to place telephone poles everywhere? I think preserving the overall outward look of a medieval fantasy city is probably important. Overall, the setting should still have a “medieval fantasy” feel.

I think another option you could have is to make a small isolated country in the lower world. Maybe they have a barrier that blocks magic and allows fancy futuristic technology, but those items wouldn’t work outside of that barrier of that country.

A few quick questions:

1. Would there be an overarching plot at some point, including possibly finding some entity or phenomenon responsible for why the Sky Archipelago originally got isekai'd? Is that something players might come up with?

2. Is there any kind of translation magic for communicating with intelligent species in the New World who don't speak the same language? Any chance they would speak the Common Tongue, or could learning their language become a potential quest somehow?

3. This one is just silly, no interest in doing this but I'm curious~... What would player versus player combat look like here :blob_sweat:
1. I would say it’s up to the players!

2. Up to you to explain!

3. Basically on most writing roleplay sites, PVP would often involve players coordinating with each other with a considerable amount of OOC. There would often be rules like you can’t control the other person’s character, no godmoding, etc.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades

This one is interesting, lol. I have never play any Role Play, no DnD yet, but I think that we could use some type of dice roll system to determine the combat. I think that everyone combats styles, magic system and what not are different from each other, cus some may have a more game like system while other don't, so instead of a rigid and solid system, the dice roll could act as an indicator of successfulness in performing a feat. Otherwise, I do not really want to see some thing like "Well, my character dodge that and counter with *some unavoidable bullshit*" or something similar. Just my two cents.

What I have in mind is something a little different than the classic DnD dice roll. Like, we could just use a D20, and once roll, it will tell how successful a character at performing an attack. Or instead of the successfulness of the action, it will directed the narrative instead. Like a 1 could potentially result in a successful escape, but he or she ran into a larger or totally different problem.

I think we could make that work, having an inventor in the world. The thing is, no one inventor could revolutionized a whole region by himself, not to mention technologies build up upon each other. You can't just have the character making a rapid fire machine gun when the technological level of the world doesn't support it. And we gotta taken into account that revolutions only happen due to social unrest and the urgent need of something like manpower or firepower, and the lead up to an revolution need to be reasonable. Factories, ideologies, sponsors, power struggles, resources, willingness to adapt when thing are working just fine, ect.... So it is hard to herald a whole technological revolution by one character.

Think one good way to balance it is, having the character only specialized in one or two aspect of it. Take golem/mech making for example, that should be required a decent knowledge of engineering, body dynamic, electronic or magic depended on how you want that to work, and the their is the crafting process of it, the material need for it, the practicality of it. All of that combine could make for some limitation how much the golem could be make, how effective it is and what the effect it could have to the world. Maybe it is just a novelty item own by the rich to show off, or it could be an elite force of bodyguard that need constant recharging.

*I just babbled wayyyyy to much, haven't I....?*

ArcadiaBlade

I think a lot of the smaller inventions seem to be okay!

Like @Way said, making a prototype of nearly anything is probably fine, but it mainly becomes an issue if you want to mass produce it and spread it everywhere. For example, with a phone invention would you be planning to place telephone poles everywhere? I think preserving the overall outward look of a medieval fantasy city is probably important. Overall, the setting should still have a “medieval fantasy” feel.

I think another option you could have is to make a small isolated country in the lower world. Maybe they have a barrier that blocks magic and allows fancy futuristic technology, but those items wouldn’t work outside of that barrier of that country.
Well, making blueprints and using materials for the invention is easy to do but in truth, one's knowledge when regards to making a circuit to make a tool could be a good way to not spread it around. One can make a knockoff but its quite dangerous to copy and paste work without any proper knowledge and could potentially harm someone if one isn't careful. Another is being able to decrypt it would be harder since my character is too afraid of being track down that any disassembly of any of his works, explosion, poison or any traps for anti-tracking just in case.

One major problem to solve the fast revolution is to make my character start with nothing except with a wood golem he made. Basically just an assistant whose use is to comfort the character. Something like that.

I think we could make that work, having an inventor in the world. The thing is, no one inventor could revolutionized a whole region by himself, not to mention technologies build up upon each other. You can't just have the character making a rapid fire machine gun when the technological level of the world doesn't support it. And we gotta taken into account that revolutions only happen due to social unrest and the urgent need of something like manpower or firepower, and the lead up to an revolution need to be reasonable. Factories, ideologies, sponsors, power struggles, resources, willingness to adapt when thing are working just fine, ect.... So it is hard to herald a whole technological revolution by one character.

Think one good way to balance it is, having the character only specialized in one or two aspect of it. Take golem/mech making for example, that should be required a decent knowledge of engineering, body dynamic, electronic or magic depended on how you want that to work, and the their is the crafting process of it, the material need for it, the practicality of it. All of that combine could make for some limitation how much the golem could be make, how effective it is and what the effect it could have to the world. Maybe it is just a novelty item own by the rich to show off, or it could be an elite force of bodyguard that need constant recharging.

*I just babbled wayyyyy to much, haven't I....?*
I actually don't think my character plans on being OP, just love to help people out. He might seem versatile in inventing but as for trying to revolutionize the world? He prefers his safety over trying to stand out.

He knows his limits and even feels scared that he might get killed again(trauma for being burned to death after accusing of being a devil's advocate). So, spreading his works is next to impossible unless he could know he would be safe if his inventions don't get him killed again.

Plus, he could start out small.

From making prosthetics out of simple materials to being a mobile handyman. Someone who can make stuff you ask or invent something a person needs.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
I actually don't think my character plans on being OP, just love to help people out. He might seem versatile in inventing but as for trying to revolutionize the world? He prefers his safety over trying to stand out.

He knows his limits and even feels scared that he might get killed again(trauma for being burned to death after accusing of being a devil's advocate). So, spreading his works is next to impossible unless he could know he would be safe if his inventions don't get him killed again.

Plus, he could start out small.

From making prosthetics out of simple materials to being a mobile handyman. Someone who can make stuff you ask or invent something a person needs.

Then I can't wait to see what you could come up with! People tend to create more combat focus, so I really want to see how your would interact with the world in a much, much different way. I think we could treat your protags as a 'master smith who could craft the legendary sword that could slay a dragon', someone that is really freaking op , but with he right set up and setting, he cannot relied on only himself.

Just spilt balling idea right now, but if we don't want to alter the fantasy-eques setting, the circuitry and electronic could be replace by rune and runic inscription, given that we already have one character who use runes, and that could present for a learning curve instead of him already knowing everything. That way, the fantasy setting will be expanded upon, building up from one already existing layer of magic instead introducing news ideas and making the world overly complex!!!!

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
This one is interesting, lol. I have never play any Role Play, no DnD yet, but I think that we could use some type of dice roll system to determine the combat. I think that everyone combats styles, magic system and what not are different from each other, cus some may have a more game like system while other don't, so instead of a rigid and solid system, the dice roll could act as an indicator of successfulness in performing a feat. Otherwise, I do not really want to see some thing like "Well, my character dodge that and counter with *some unavoidable bullshit*" or something similar. Just my two cents.

What I have in mind is something a little different than the classic DnD dice roll. Like, we could just use a D20, and once roll, it will tell how successful a character at performing an attack. Or instead of the successfulness of the action, it will directed the narrative instead. Like a 1 could potentially result in a successful escape, but he or she ran into a larger or totally different problem.
The dice roll suggestion has come up a few times ever since the beginning of AG (this is actually AGv5!), and generally we've felt like it's better to give the player a little bit more freedom.

That said, if you ever want to do PvP with someone (or even PvE), you're totally welcome to use dice to determine the outcome. You could even play this entire thing like a DnD campaign. However, it probably won't be a universal rule requiring it. The main thing with PvP is to discuss with the other party how you want to do it, and as long as the two of you agree it's fine!

indecisive

Last edited:

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
What are the different ranks for adventurers?
If the guild traditions were on the ASGA Library I think it would help a lot.
If it’s not in the Library it’s often because no one has written on it yet. Players are welcome to submit a quest report describing something and then you can add it to the library.

We use majority rule to determine canon, so often times simpler things are more likely to stick. Broad and inclusive explanations (I.e. “Ranks are optional in the guild so not everyone has a rank”) are more likely to remain consistent with nearly everyone and can often be the best explanation.

This version of AG doesn’t intrinsically have ranks/levels built into the gameplay, so the lore is totally up to the collective community.

How many people transmigrated onto the archipelago? Is it enough to cause lots of competition? I feel like transportation would be monopolized by the adventurers at the beginning of the story until the archipelago could recover, which might cause an increase of quotas for quest completion and an increase of normal people registering.

The best person to answer this is yourself! That said, the answer that is consistent with the most people will often make the most sense~

Based on registrations so far, if I personally lived in this world I would probably notice that it seemed like there were an abnormally large amount of isekai transmigrators from other worlds.