Adventurer's Guild [AGSA] Adventurer's Guild Sky Archipelago - OOC Room

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
Im not Chinese, nor that well versed in their culture, but from a culture that was heavily influence but the Han, I can definitely said that, no, not all dragon have 5 claws. Im from Vietnam, and I can said that the different dynasty have a different way of portraying dragon, which the an early dynasty's dragon having only 3 toes, and the latter's on having 5 claws. Interestingly, the dragons that is on the Emperor's clothes and attire have 5 claws, while the one on the Crown Prince only having 4......

Probably like chicken......cus they look like snake, and snake does indeed tasty like chicken. Very chewy chicken.....
I think the emperor having 5 claws and the prince having 4 was because of something like it only being a true dragon or an adult dragon once they have 5 claws. Think I heard that bit somewhere, or read it in a manhwa or something, but I'm not sure just how much to trust those lol.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
I think the emperor having 5 claws and the prince having 4 was because of something like it only being a true dragon or an adult dragon once they have 5 claws. Think I heard that bit somewhere, or read it in a manhwa or something, but I'm not sure just how much to trust those lol.
Imagine growing an extra digit when puberty hit.....
Honestly, there are already enough variations from just one nation/culture throughout history, so yea, I can see that being the story from Korea or China.

DarkeReises

Imagine growing an extra digit when puberty hit.....
Honestly, there are already enough variations from just one nation/culture throughout history, so yea, I can see that being the story from Korea or China.
I can't remember the name of it, but I know I heard it from a manhua where people raise and cultivate with dragons and such, and the MC has a blue dragon that has 4 claws with one of its claws inside a spatial dimension that it can use to attack, or something like that. But again, not sure how much I should trust those since even if they are based on chinese myths, the authors could have changed things for convenience.

Bochi

Yeah, definitely inaccurate. In traditional times official robes were adorned with dragons, but the most amount of claws they could bear was 5. Having a golden dragon with 8 claws was reserved solely for the emperor.

That said, this also differs across the various dynasties, and there's also situations where direct royalty get 5-claws but with different rankings (a 'long' for the emperor and a 'mang' for the princes and the dukes) and 4 for the rest.​

DarkeReises

Yeah, definitely inaccurate. In traditional times official robes were adorned with dragons, but the most amount of claws they could bear was 5. Having a golden dragon with 8 claws was reserved solely for the emperor.

That said, this also differs across the various dynasties, and there's also situations where direct royalty get 5-claws but with different rankings (a 'long' for the emperor and a 'mang' for the princes and the dukes) and 4 for the rest.​
history and mythology is confusing, so im not even gonna bother

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades

I'll have to disagree with you on this one, chief.
I do know that the during the Ming and Qing Dynasties, no official could wear anything that adorned a dragon without the permission of the Emperor, and most often mean, only the imperial family could have a dragon, or in the case of the late Qing Dynasty, multiple dragons on their attires. And the Dragon of the Imperial Family is always have 5 claws. The officials could, however, wear robes that were specially bestowed to them by the Emperor, or bearing 'dragon-like' animal, like a python, or a flying carps instead.
I think you are correct on this one, as in the Joseon Dynasty of Korea, only the Emperor could bear a 5 claws dragon, the crown prince 4 claws, and the eldest son of the crown prince 3 claws.
history and mythology is confusing, so im not even gonna bother
But it is fun!

DarkeReises

I do know that the during the Ming and Qing Dynasties, no official could wear anything that adorned a dragon without the permission of the Emperor, and most often mean, only the imperial family could have a dragon, or in the case of the late Qing Dynasty, multiple dragons on their attires. And the Dragon of the Imperial Family is always have 5 claws. The officials could, however, wear robes that were specially bestowed to them by the Emperor, or bearing 'dragon-like' animal, like a python, or a flying carps instead.

I think you are correct on this one, as in the Joseon Dynasty of Korea, only the Emperor could bear a 5 claws dragon, the crown prince 4 claws, and the eldest son of the crown prince 3 claws.

But it is fun!
Yep definitely fun, but western mythologies are easier for me. Apparently eastern mythologies changed too much for my pea sized brain to comprehend.

Bochi

But it is fun!
If we're talking Ming and Qing specifically, yeah. Otherwise, no. The emperor's indirect descendants (his grandsons and his brothers from the same parent) would wear ones with dragons that only bore 4 claws. Sometimes, like during the Han Dynasty, official robes bore 3 and the emperor bore 5, and the 4 claws didn't exist then.

Tl:dr - Different claws for different dynasties. It's way too complicated a topic, so go wild.​

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
This dragon topic has been going for like two days now.
Alright then. Have anyone ever go through the Pokedex when trying to made up a monster or fantasy creature before?????? They are some really good inspiration tho, I found. Like, a haunted anchor? Or a sentient pile of poisonous waste? A deer that have it antlers change depending on the season?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
This dragon topic has been going for like two days now.
a.jpg

I'll leave the task of maintaining the count to you~

fyrre

Alright then. Have anyone ever go through the Pokedex when trying to made up a monster or fantasy creature before?????? They are some really good inspiration tho, I found. Like, a haunted anchor? Or a sentient pile of poisonous waste? A deer that have it antlers change depending on the season?
Stares in having never played anything pokemon related before.