AI assistance

Lorelliad

If you love me, tie my hair 🎵
I don't think anyone will know or care :D

But then again, it does feel a little cheap, at least for me.

LORD_SHAXX

Is it cheating if I use AI to write out certain parts where I'm not sure how to write?
No. Its a tool like anything else. I use chat gpt all the time to reword and grammar check what I've written. Hell I've used it to describe certain creatures for me. I put it in the same category as grammarly or pro writing aid. They are tools to make your writing better.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Look. The problem is the AI is not an AI. It's a fake AI. It is nothing more than an oversized search engine.

Write your story. Write it out as you would want and forget about getting fancy or what not. Write out the GRINDY details. Don't worry about if it sounds awkward. This is your first draft. Your first draft is always crap.

Here. I'm just gonna cut and paste.

1. Write the chapter yourself.

2. Run it through a simple spell checker like word.

3. Go to ChatGPT and type "Rephrase The Following Paragraph" Take one paragraph of at least 3 sentences and save it in a separate file. Feed that paragraph to ChatGPT. Copy resulting paragraph to the separate file. Make a hybrid paragraph of the best of both. don't do this for anything only 1 or 2 sentences. It screws up.

4. Repeat step 3 until you have done every paragraph.

5. Turn on Grammerly. Just use the spell checking feature. Screw the suggestions.

6. Go through your chapter to search for the following words:
Suddenly
Very/really
Started
Just
Somewhat/slightly
Somehow
Seem(s)
Definitely
If you see any of these words, reconsider them. Usually these words are misused. If someone is speaking, no problem, but outside of conversation, they usually are a bad sign.

7. If there are any sections which don't feel right use the following at random:
prowritingaid.com/rephrase
sudowrite.com/app
writesonic.com/
But they do not allow unlimited use, so just use these occasionally to get a different perspective on how you phrased something.

8. Put it through Text Edit and turn on the text to speech feature. Listen to the chapter and fix it as it reads it out loud to you.

9. Turn on Grammerly one last time for spell checking.

Rhaps

Cult Leader of The Church of Dice
Imo, I don't like to use Ai to write my story for me, and I will never. But using AI for editing honesty save me a lot of time.

It's a grey area for me

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
It's not cheating to use AI to help you write out certain parts if you're struggling with them. AI language models like myself can be useful tools for generating ideas and providing assistance with grammar and syntax. However, it's important to keep in mind that the ultimate goal is to produce work that reflects your own thoughts and ideas. You should use AI assistance as a tool, but not rely on it entirely to produce your content. Always aim to learn from the AI-generated text and try to apply what you learn to your own writing style.

doravg

103/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
I use ChatGPT to edit my German fics. As far as I am concerned, it is not cheating, but a helping tool. In the past month, I have written 90k words, and I wouldn't have done that, if my fics didn't get the meager views that they did. Do I have a lot to improve on? Of course. But with ChatGPT things are running smoother, and I am learning new words, so that is a win.

Succubiome

If you end up mostly using AI to write, it's against the rules to post it on this site. So if those certain parts are the majority of it, probably cheating to post it here, since cheating is not following the rules, but using it a little is not against the rules, and therefore not cheating.

IMO AI should more realistically be called a Pattern Matching Engines or something IMO-- it's not thinking on it's own, it's trying to emulate a pattern it's been shown. This is a complex process, but in the end it's randomly rehashing things together in an attempt to 'look like a thing a human wrote that continues the pattern it's been given'. (This is why AI-run cars and similar ideas conceptually terrify me.)

This can help you if you aren't sure how to put words together or the 'normal' way a story would continue from the current point, but I do think you're better off using Tarot or Tao Te Ching or a random pages on TVtropes or drawing from RL or basically any other form of story randomization for considering new ideas for your story, because since AI is doing it's best to match patterns, it's literally trying not to be original.

I don't use it, never really felt the need... but maybe I should use it for editing, given that both myself and my readers have been catching me making mistakes, some of which it could probably help with.

Sola-sama

Human Supremacist • African Warlord
Is it cheating if I use AI to write out certain parts where I'm not sure how to write?
I don't think so. English is my 4th language, and sometimes its hard to translate from my native (Martian) to english. I used AI to help me better express emotion or fix my broken grammar. It also greatly help me in editing cuz I have severe case of dyslexia.

Kureous

Seeking the answers to all questions
I use AI for research. If I need certain facts or descriptions of how things were, then it's a pretty handy tool, but I wouldn't be proud of my work if I let it write out parts for me, so I don't do that.
ScribbleHub Covers.jpg

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I Iet the AI write a story once.

I regret burning that computer...
ONLY ONCE.

It can make helpful suggestions, nothing more.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
That depends on the rules you've established for your relationship with writing.

Sebas_Guzman

If you end up mostly using AI to write, it's against the rules to post it on this site. So if those certain parts are the majority of it, probably cheating to post it here, since cheating is not following the rules, but using it a little is not against the rules, and therefore not cheating.

IMO AI should more realistically be called a Pattern Matching Engines or something IMO-- it's not thinking on it's own, it's trying to emulate a pattern it's been shown. This is a complex process, but in the end it's randomly rehashing things together in an attempt to 'look like a thing a human wrote that continues the pattern it's been given'. (This is why AI-run cars and similar ideas conceptually terrify me.)

This can help you if you aren't sure how to put words together or the 'normal' way a story would continue from the current point, but I do think you're better off using Tarot or Tao Te Ching or a random pages on TVtropes or drawing from RL or basically any other form of story randomization for considering new ideas for your story, because since AI is doing it's best to match patterns, it's literally trying not to be original.

I don't use it, never really felt the need... but maybe I should use it for editing, given that both myself and my readers have been catching me making mistakes, some of which it could probably help with.

Sticking with its regular name, Generative Pre-trained Transformer or large language model is fine. Changing all of AI into Pattern Matching betrays the desire to create artificial general intelligence. Otherwise, what's written here is very important. It's not trying to be original.

On the note of editing, however. You have to be careful because GPT doesn't actually know some of the more arcane punctuation and dialogue rules. And you can kind of figure out why. How many people on the internet know those rules? But otherwise, yeah. This is a good post to take into account.
Actually, I would say GPT is better than Tarot XD

I use AI for research. If I need certain facts or descriptions of how things were, then it's a pretty handy tool, but I wouldn't be proud of my work if I let it write out parts for me, so I don't do that.

Please be careful with this. Don't be like the lawyer who got caught using the AI for his case and didn't fact check.
ChatGPT is the kind of thing you can give a sentence to, and then ask it how many times each letter appears in the sentence, and then get complete nonsense as the answer. It doesn't give you facts. It gives you what sounds like facts XD

Succubiome

Sticking with its regular name, Generative Pre-trained Transformer or large language model is fine. Changing all of AI into Pattern Matching betrays the desire to create artificial general intelligence. Otherwise, what's written here is very important. It's not trying to be original.
Ooh! I didn't know those were names for it, I just thought AI was a misnomer. I learned something today!

Actually, I would say GPT is better than Tarot
Tarot gives you vague story kernels that can be interpreted in multiple ways, which I think is better than 'try to match the pattern of continuing the story' for leading your story in interesting directions... but to be fair, I haven't used GPT for story generation much other than messing around with AI Dungeon a while back, so not the most knowledgable on the subject.