Implemented Alert for when author you followed posts new chapter

CrusadeAgainstFurries

Supreme meme-lord
Hello,
Don't know if this was already asked, but a few readers mentioned that they don't get an alert when I post a new chapter, so I looked into account settings and saw that there is no option in the Alert Preferences for that.

Was adding a feature for that already discussed in the past?
If not, adding it would certainly make sense in my eyes...

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Hello,
Don't know if this was already asked, but a few readers mentioned that they don't get an alert when I post a new chapter, so I looked into account settings and saw that there is no option in the Alert Preferences for that.

Was adding a feature for that already discussed in the past?
If not, adding it would certainly make sense in my eyes...

Good idea.

fegurail

This might be a silly question, but how is that different from the reading list? Wouldn't readers following an author's novels be able to see whether new chapters were released on their reading list?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
This might be a silly question, but how is that different from the reading list? Wouldn't readers following an author's novels be able to see whether new chapters were released on their reading list?
Essentially, this is more practical than the reading list because you don't need to visit the reading list page to actually see if an update appeared.

... That said, I do consider the feature kinda useless in all honesty... And Tony probably thinks so too, since this must be at least the 10th time it was suggested already.

I don't think it's a bad feature per se, but I doubt Tony will implement it. Simply because I have seen it asked far too many times and it never amounted to anything... If anything, I think Tony's time is better spent on other features.

Assurbanipal_II

Essentially, this is more practical than the reading list because you don't need to visit the reading list page to actually see if an update appeared.

... That said, I do consider the feature kinda useless in all honesty... And Tony probably thinks so too, since this must be at least the 10th time it was suggested already.

I don't think it's a bad feature per se, but I doubt Tony will implement it. Simply because I have seen it asked far too many times and it never amounted to anything... If anything, I think Tony's time is better spent on other features.

Useless? I you have a reading list with 50 stories, you will think otherwise. The contrast is poor when it comes to chapter counts and you can easily overlook updates. But in nay case, you make the feature optional, like turning it on for stories you really like and switch it off again.

So what is the issue? It is easy to introduce as it just an addition to already existing notification system. No idea why Tony should be against it.

CrusadeAgainstFurries

Supreme meme-lord
You say that, but the fact it's been requested at least 10 times already does says something, doesn't it?
Gimli-Never-Thought-Hed-Be-Fighting-Side-By-Side-With-An-Elf-In-Lord-Of-The-Rings-The-Return-O...jpg

AliceShiki

Useless? I you have a reading list with 50 stories, you will think otherwise. The contrast is poor when it comes to chapter counts and you can easily overlook updates. But in nay case, you make the feature optional, like turning it on for stories you really like and switch it off again.

So what is the issue? It is easy to introduce as it just an addition to already existing notification system. No idea why Tony should be against it.
Ah, I got used to it I guess? It's pretty easy for me to see the ones that have updates and stuff.
You say that, but the fact it's been requested at least 10 times already does says something, doesn't it?
Aye, I'm not really against the feature anyways, I just think it's unlikely to happen because I saw it being requested a few too many times.

Assurbanipal_II

Ah, I got used to it I guess? It's pretty easy for me to see the ones that have updates and stuff.

Aye, I'm not really against the feature anyways, I just think it's unlikely to happen because I saw it being requested a few too many times.
That is the most nonsensical argument I heard for a while, I got used to it.

According to that logic, we have to get used to many things.

AliceShiki

That is the most nonsensical argument I heard for a while, I got used to it.

According to that logic, we have to get used to many things.
I meant that I got used to the display and now it doesn't really feel hard to differentiate the stuff without an update with the stuff that has updates.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
the feature would be moot if SH had a "favorites" section on the main page like NU does... but it doesnt. so new chapter alerts would be awesome, especially when they tend to get swallowed and quickly knocked off the main page at peak times.

Eleven_M.A.

EXTREMELY good idea.
This might be a silly question, but how is that different from the reading list?
Actually, I don't get notified even when a book from my reading list posts a new chapter :oops:
Useless? It means that all of your works gain extra exposure. Your followers get reminded that you have other series and see which of your stories are active. This encourages them to give them a try - even those who followed you, but never actually bothered to read anything.

At the same time: If you're a fan of someone's writing, you can simply follow them and be notified of everything they post. No need to browse their series and add each of them manually. No need to worry that they posted a new series and you missed the one and only notification about it. Finally: It links the updates and author messages together. If you want to track their works and know what they've got to say, you don't have to do it separately. This sort of integration goes long way to keep everyone happier.