All About Editing...

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29316

Grammarly is good for those slip-ups, but if your grammar isn't good, I recommend you learn the grammar before trying Grammarly to avoid habitual bad grammar. The premium warnings are mostly useless except for a few functions (punctuations and [sometimes] colloquialism).

I see. Well, my problems are usually the slip-ups, since Philippines has a bit of background in English (we love it to the point that we forget the other national language, Filipino).

It's pretty irritating to see that a spelling or grammar mistake escapes your attention even though you scanned your work repeatedly...proves the limitations of human eyes. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

chloedecker2013

Well, as it says on the title, it's all about editing.

How many times do you edit your work?

I edit my work as I write it, but also, I edit it for three more times after finishing.

Why three?

Well, I wanted to avoid my earlier mistake of editing the story I've written for unlimited times, causing it to drag on for 10 years before I'm finally satisfied (which is in fact, I simply had enough of editions). Bottom line is, the story got too convoluted and different from what I initially envisioned.

Three editions. What for?

1st is for the story flow and construction. In this edit, I'd iron-out possible plotholes and inconsistencies, mostly by adding or subtracting excerpts. Reordering of scenes and events happen also in this stage.

2nd is for grammar and spelling. There are moments when I commit spelling and grammar mistakes, and I haven't noticed it yet 'till this second edit. This is because I focused on other technical issues (like story flow, etc.). Take note for best hoodies, I'm not a native English speaker astroworld, so there can be instances where I happen to pass-over some errors.

3rd is polishing. It's a sort of additional icing on the edit to make sure that the quality of my story is the best I'd roll out there.

While editing, it will be helpful if you havr your plotline by your side, so that you know what your story's direction would take.

Well, I can't say my system is perfect. But in any case, I thought I'd share it out to help. Feel free to share yours as well, I'd like to learn from you! 😉
it's not a fixed number, it's constant. I don't write up a chapter then release it that quickly. at the minimum I'm sitting on it for a week. anytime my eyes are on it I'm editing it.

D

Deleted member 29316

it's not a fixed number, it's constant. I don't write up a chapter then release it that quickly. at the minimum I'm sitting on it for a week. anytime my eyes are on it I'm editing it.

Well, for someone who's writing on a deadline or wanting to produce something (and having a quite ambitious story goal), a limited number of edits is highly-recommended since time is precious here.

And the urge to edit is endless. I've written a work before that took 10 years in development hell because the urge to edit is endless...not to mention, it deviated from the original story concept as I grow and go along for those 10 years.

Publishing is also a combination of technique, confidence and gamble.

Last edited by a moderator: