Resolved Allow changing the relitive text size instead of forcing the user to adjust the zoom level for the entire site.

Ingro

https://www.scribblehub.com/read/9583-ai-immortal-god-soul/chapter/9637/

So it's been explained that the decision was made to force the user to change the zoom level on the entire site instead of being able to adjust the relative size of the text on the post is not a bug and was a deliberate design decision for reasons that I'm not entirely clear on. It has been stated that I shouldn't play with the text size unless it's needed but I do need a larger text size to be able to comfortably read.

It seems counter intuitive for a site that's focused on reader experience to deliberately force such a poor experience on the user. Especially given how increasing the text size makes things less readable by adding lots of unneeded white space instead of adjusting the relative text size.

Yes I understand that I can zoom in the entire site and that is my workaround to the site working as designed but it feels like the design is wrong when increasing the size of the text just makes it less readable instead of making it more readable.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
https://www.scribblehub.com/read/9583-ai-immortal-god-soul/chapter/9637/

I've tried setting the font from 12px to 22px for both dark mode and default mode and it doesn't change the size of the font. The only thing that changes is the spacing on the page.

This is not a bug. I can force the chapter to adjust to your font size settings but it'll mess it up for other authors. For example, other authors are using it properly to only decrease/increase the font size when necessarily and not for the whole chapter. @Afzolh97 on the other hand is setting the font size for the whole chapter which he shouldn't do. There's already a setting to adjust the font size so as an author, you shouldn't play with the font size unless it's needed.

The only suggestion I have for you is to ask @Afzolh97 to remove the font size he has for his chapters.

Ingro

Thank you. I didn't realize how you expected it to work.

It still seems odd how it messes up the spacing but if this is the desired result I understand.

I've turned in a feature request for the increase and decrease to adjust the relative size instead of setting the size

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Thank you. I didn't realize how you expected it to work.

It still seems odd how it messes up the spacing but if this is the desired result I understand.

I've turned in a feature request for the increase and decrease to adjust the relative size instead of setting the size
It's not exactly the desired result. It's what the author set it to be. The author set the fonts for their chapters to be of that size. On the other stories, you can change the font size like normal. Like Tony said, you can only ask the author to remove the font size he added for you to increase/decrease the font size while reading.

Ingro

I understand that's what the author set the default to be.

I don't understand the decision to force the user to set the zoom level for the entire site instead of being able to adjust the relative text size.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I understand that's what the author set the default to be.

I don't understand the decision to force the user to set the zoom level for the entire site instead of being able to adjust the relative text size.
That decision is made by the author so you would have to ask him instead.

Ingro

I think a lot of my frustration is just that the site has so much going for it and this feature is at odds with it.

I think at this point I'll just save myself the aggravation by dropping any series that the author things people who prefer a larger text size shouldn't be reading.

I still think that the thing where the larger the text size the more white space is put in is a bug but it's not my call.

Overall the site is great and I'm enjoying a lot of the series on here and I'll just avoid the ones that are frustrating.

Tony

Staff member
I think a lot of my frustration is just that the site has so much going for it and this feature is at odds with it.

I think at this point I'll just save myself the aggravation by dropping any series that the author things people who prefer a larger text size shouldn't be reading.

I still think that the thing where the larger the text size the more white space is put in is a bug but it's not my call.

Overall the site is great and I'm enjoying a lot of the series on here and I'll just avoid the ones that are frustrating.

Since you like the site so much, I guess I can add a "Zoom" option when I'm adding more features to the reader options. I plan on adding other options like increasing/decreasing reading width. I would prefer if the author would not increase the text like that but adding a "zoom" option is easy so I can do that.

Ingro

@Tony Thanks for fixing the bug.

I'm good now.

The only reason I added the feature request was that the scaling issue was determined not to be a bug so I was trying to give an alternate solution.