Am I being targeted? (I might be tripping idk)

OtherSlater

Because The First Slater Died.
So as I prepare to transfer my stories here from RR I checked that three of my stories have been hit with one star, with no explanation. I would ask there but I assume whoever's doing this looks at the forums so...It just really makes me not want to upload there anymore. Am I being targeted? Like I know for a fact I got .5'd on AKM TWICE like bro wtf

SailusGebel

SH is notorious for this. Even when your story is a few hours old with one chapter released, you can still get one-star rating. It's either bots, trolls from the main site, not the forum, or some readers who want to balance five-star ratings.

Wohendum

If you are going to complain about ratings, than you aren't going to enjoy posting on ANY writing site. Better grow a thicker skin or stop writing for an online audience. It takes a certain level of maturity that I've noticed self-proclaimed webnovelists typically do not have.

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
So as I prepare to transfer my stories here from RR I checked that three of my stories have been hit with one star, with no explanation. I would ask there but I assume whoever's doing this looks at the forums so...It just really makes me not want to upload there anymore. Am I being targeted? Like I know for a fact I got .5'd on AKM TWICE like bro wtf
Sometimes people just do it for fun. Some people just maybe don't like a genre that you have or want a genre that you don't have. No you aren't being targeted, many people get this.

Kitsura

If you are going to complain about ratings, than you aren't going to enjoy posting on ANY writing site. Better grow a thicker skin or stop writing for an online audience. It takes a certain level of maturity that I've noticed self-proclaimed webnovelists typically do not have.
While, I agree with this to some extent, it's going to be difficult to pretend like criticism doesn't hurt at. It still hurts to read bad reviews, and while I can get over them(I.E. not be butthurt about it.) they still dig into the pysche a little.

Also there are the people who are overly vicious or irrational in their reviews. If someone dislikes my novels for reasons that relate to the quality of the work I can accept that more easily than random 1 star reviews on a novel that had >20 chapters or someone insulting my personal qualities based on a free webnovel I write as a way to destress.

Pontan

Don't get discouraged. If you get good enough, the bad ratings will get washed over with positive ones. Keep improving, show your worth.

OtherSlater

Bro you said this mad aggressively are you good lmao. Like damn, I can’t be at least a little annoyed? I gotta shed thug tears on these web novel streets?
Don't get discouraged. If you get good enough, the bad ratings will get washed over with positive ones. Keep improving, show your worth.
Appreciate it. I’m just bitching lmao, confidence issues and shit, but thank you a bunch.
Sometimes people just do it for fun. Some people just maybe don't like a genre that you have or want a genre that you don't have. No you aren't being targeted, many people get this
Yuh, I’m being a little hyperbolic on my title haha. Annoying as fuck still

Western42

....I may be Insane....
SH is notorious for this. Even when your story is a few hours old with one chapter released, you can still get one-star rating. It's either bots, trolls from the main site, not the forum, or some readers who want to balance five-star ratings.
I can say that this is perfectly true. I have read some new stories who suddenly got one stars that weren't bad at all. For most of them, I give a four or five star rating just to balance the rating out.

BlackKnightX

Does rating really that matter? Personally, the most important things for me are the reader’s comments and reviews. With rating, you don’t get any explanation. It’s just there. Bam! And you have no idea what you did wrong or what you did right. So, just do yourself a favor and forget about the rating.

If you want to improve, look out for the comments, instead. You can also ask for the readers to review your story in the comment section—ask them what they like and don’t like—then you can adjust accordingly.

But seriously, though, if you want to post anything at all on the internet, you have to develop a thick skin. You’re the god of your story—the real god, not the fake kind that sends people to another world again and again—so you can do whatever you want with it.

Remember, you can only please so many people. You can’t fuck the entire world at the same time. You have to stick it in one at a time and make them happy. And if you’re a real man, you’d know where to start. Yep, start with yourself—your hand, specifically. Do it to please yourself first, and then please the others later. Peace.

OtherSlater

I appreciate the comment, and I understand. While I’m not crying or anything trust me, I got worse comments to my face, by my parents, etc. sometimes, I can only hold in my annoyance for so long, ya know? It’s comforting somewhat to see you aren’t the only one. I’ll try my best to not rant as much and keep it pushing. Thanks for the comment tho!

lambenttyto

It takes a certain level of maturity that I've noticed self-proclaimed webnovelists typically do not have.
I have 19 seperate web fictions totaling over a million words. Do I get to call myself a web novelist and drop the "self proclaimed" bit?

Wohendum

I have 19 seperate web fictions totaling over a million words. Do I get to call myself a web novelist and drop the "self proclaimed" bit?
Call yourself what you want. I can't stop you. That line wasn't specifically aimed at you, but by all means, be offended if it tickled you incorrectly.

The gist of my statement was that maturity is a rare commodity in a webnovelist. Toss a few poor ratings at them and they go to pieces. While this is the first post of the OP's that I'm aware of, they are still following the typical pattern of the overly-sensitive webnovelist which is almost a trope in and of itself at this point.

It takes a certain level of ego to declare that you believe you are being targeted specifically. Perhaps they are, but I doubt it. Very few webnovelists are at a level to have such determined trolls pursue them across various sites, though there are some that exist and I'm aware of the possibilities.
While, I agree with this to some extent, it's going to be difficult to pretend like criticism doesn't hurt at. It still hurts to read bad reviews, and while I can get over them(I.E. not be butthurt about it.) they still dig into the pysche a little.

Also there are the people who are overly vicious or irrational in their reviews. If someone dislikes my novels for reasons that relate to the quality of the work I can accept that more easily than random 1 star reviews on a novel that had >20 chapters or someone insulting my personal qualities based on a free webnovel I write as a way to destress.
Everything you said is agreeable. The problem is, OP spoke specifically of ratings. Not reviews. Complaints about bad ratings, mostly random from OP's description, are something entirely different from someone leaving a paragraph or more of unpleasant statements about your work.

Personally, I've only left one review in my entire life, where I attacked the authors character personally, but that was because the author put his personal beliefs into his work, let it be known publicly they were his beliefs, and then proceeded to oversaturate his material with characters that repeatedly parroted said same beliefs, when it added little to the improvement of the story and it seemed awfully preachy in its approach. There was also a bit of a personal dispute indirectly related to the work itself, I must admit or I'd be speaking dishonestly about the guy.
Bro you said this mad aggressively are you good lmao. Like damn, I can’t be at least a little annoyed? I gotta shed thug tears on these web novel streets?
I'm fine. There was no malice in my statement. It seems more like you are the more disturbed of the two of us. Also, I don't think thugs are supposed to shed tears. Weakens the tough-guy image you know? You're not off to a good start homie. Are you good?

Last edited:

Pontan

I can say that this is perfectly true. I have read some new stories who suddenly got one stars that weren't bad at all. For most of them, I give a four or five star rating just to balance the rating out.
Balancing them out is a good idea actually. I will steal your idea and do it myself if I find any stories that got one starred like that.
Indeed... Haha! Who am I kidding, I have never gotten into such a situation before! I have no idea about how I would react to it! Anyway, a male youtuber once said that criticism and negativity discourages him and makes him very sad. However, he realized that the people who look forward to his videos and love his work far outnumber the ones who hate his work, so he clenched his teeth, smiled and pushed on. By simply adopting such a mindset, and focusing in on the positive feedback is one of the keys to growing a thicker skin. Im saying all that, but actually learning to live by such a mindset in another thing than just hearing about it.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I wish people could give .5 ratings here. The rating on my story is too high! Please give me more one-star ratings ⭐

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I mean. When you post a new story, it gets highlighted as a new story and more people will read it. I can't say how genuine it is without reading the story, but it's not inherently impossible for a quick one star to be genuine.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Do you have another account that published those stories? Or are you talking about SH at all?
Because I see two, not three, both with a single five star works on your account