Am i the only one who feels this way?

Agentt

Thighs
So, I am not a native English speaker.

When we learn it though, there are a few phrases that we start with,

Due to this, my brain now associates those phrases with children.

Just like how it will be embarrassing for an adults to say something like, "Can I get a ticket for the new My Little Pony, The Pranks of the Black Wizard?" I get embarrassed by saying these phrases, simply because my brains tells me only kids who can't speak English well are supposed to say this.

Hence, I feel very cringe saying,
"I am going to buy a copy from the shop."

Yuk!
Even writing it was terrible...
Like...who even says shop anymore!
I haven't heard or read the word shop in years, other than the term "shop owner", or "shopping."

If i had to say this, I would say it like,
"I am gonna buy a notebook from somewhere which sells them."

Do you also have some aversion towards a few phrases?

Last edited:

Dudealien

Pepsiman is my stand
I have aversion to people who say, “lit”, “cracked”, or basically any other stupid frickin slang term teens use. I may be a teen but I don’t associate with those losers

SternenklarenRitter

I feel frightened when people use swear words. It's the last vestiges of a religious early education.

RayneStorm

I hate when people pronounce appreciate appre-see-ate. Makes me want to through things. That's really the only standard English thing that annoys me. Everything else is a part of the local dialect in my country. The local slang, terms, phrases and words are irritating, and this is technically my own language

I feel frightened when people use swear words. It's the last vestiges of a religious early education.
I just don't like swearing in general. My parents always told me that it shows a lack of class and since most people I know don't swear at all, anytime I hear swearing it's jarring. It's nothing to do with religion in my case. I just don't like swearing, or shouting, or teasing, or anything like that. Words are powerful so I try to be careful with my own. I have an actual fear that I'll say something and it will haunt someone's nightmares years later.

Yuk!
I haven't heard or read the word shop in years, other than the term "shop owner", or "shopping."
As for the word 'shop', it's quite common where I live for people to say they're going to the shop without being specific about which shop though usually it's a corner store or something. 'Go down to the shop' or 'I'll get it at the shop later' are common phrases. I've seen English learners being told not to say things like Hello, Hi, Your Welcome and other phrases because they say it sounds unnatural and that always confuses me because all the words they say aren't common, are very common in my country (not USA)
This actually sounds strange to me because if you're going to buy a notebook I'm going to assume you'll go to a store that sells them and not a KFC or something. You could just say 'I'm going to buy a notebook' and leave it at that.

MR.DANTE

when a couple of years ago ppl started using "they" to refer at singular ppl, i find it so stupid, make me want to flip the table, especially if its in a context like: I meet my friend at the market, "they" seemed happy

The_3rd_Book

Pedagogical Cannibalism?
So, I am not a native English speaker.

When we learn it though, there are a few phrases that we start with,

Due to this, my brain now associates those phrases with children.

Just like how it will be embarrassing for an adults to say something like, "Can I get a ticket for the new My Little Pony, The Pranks of the Black Wizard?" I get embarrassed by saying these phrases, simply because my brains tells me only kids who can't speak English well are supposed to say this.

Yuk!

Do you also have some aversion towards a few phrases?
I'm learning German and I feel the same.