Am I writing it wrong or are my readers just dumb?

One of the things I've noticed about writing is that whenever I write POV about my main character from another character's eyes or my main character's POV is that when my side character's description of the events or person differed from how the MC narrated the event or saw the other character, I'd receive comments on the story like how can MC be so dumb when they're on top of the class? Or why is the mc saying they're normal when they're not? It feels like they're saying my writing is the problem but I've been dropping hints that my characters' view points aren't reliable narration all of the time.

I drop my hints by drawing attention on how my characters used words to describe either themselves, others, or an event and then later on further draw attention to it by having another character narrate it from their point of view which brings into attention new information glossed over by the other character on their pov which differs from how the first character narrated it.

So am I doing something wrong? Or do I really just have the unfortunate luck of having some dumb readers?

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I don't think your readers are dumb either. I think this is simply a matter of people not putting themselves into the characters' positions.
I've seen that a lot with decisions characters make because of what they know or don't know. To the readers who get everything laid out in front of them, the things are clear while they aren't to the character in question. Unfortunately, people don't try to think how the character would and simply write their comments from their own position.

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
Comments from your readers just point out the things they are seeing. They aren't always correct, but they often point out areas of weakness in your story. Even when you personally feel like everything seems right, that doesn't mean it is coming through exactly the way you meant it. Listen to the comments and see if there are ways you can explain what you want in a better way.

mrsimple

Writer
I kinda tried to convey this topic in my last SSSC submission, Homesickness. :blob_happy:

Yeah, stories can be given out to readers on a silver platter or piece meal. If everything is fed to them all at once, they're full and won't appreciate the treats after the big dish was set out. But if ya throw them a bit here and there, they bite down on it and savor that moment in hope of acquiring its taste in helping them pick out more delicious hints later.

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
Perhaps... Maybe... It could be...
All of the above, none of the above, one of the above, yadda yadda.
It's difficult to determine whether or not there is a clear answer to this if we do not have access to your works. I do not know where to find them, and as such, it is pretty much impossible for me to make an accurate judgement of your situation. I'll probably lean towards you being in the right in this case, as you seem to be able to write in a well structured manner, but that is clearly a biased opinion as I don't know the quality of your actual writing.

Last edited:

TLCsDestiny

It's ur story mate, if their 'suggestion' doesn't look like it'll help u make ur story better don't get upset. I've had a few critics and patiently tried to tell why something was like this or that. For the most part i was able to answer the questions with ease or defend my story but...there are those people who just don't get it...lol. keep it as ur story and not ur readers, maybe just explain something if they ask, that's all. Don't panic!

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
One of the things I've noticed about writing is that whenever I write POV about my main character from another character's eyes or my main character's POV is that when my side character's description of the events or person differed from how the MC narrated the event or saw the other character, I'd receive comments on the story like how can MC be so dumb when they're on top of the class? Or why is the mc saying they're normal when they're not? It feels like they're saying my writing is the problem but I've been dropping hints that my characters' view points aren't reliable narration all of the time.

I drop my hints by drawing attention on how my characters used words to describe either themselves, others, or an event and then later on further draw attention to it by having another character narrate it from their point of view which brings into attention new information glossed over by the other character on their pov which differs from how the first character narrated it.

So am I doing something wrong? Or do I really just have the unfortunate luck of having some dumb readers?
It could be that the readers who made such comments aren't used to seeing unreliable narrators in stories. It's not a common thing - at least, from my experience - so maybe they genuinely don't realise that it's supposed to be unreliable narration from these characters' points of view.

Then again, they could just be readers who don't particularly appreciate unreliable narration, thus are voicing their feelings, thoughts and opinions over it.

Whatever the case may be, don't feel disheartened over it. Take on board the feedback and think of ways to validate your choice of writing style to them. If they still complain, then it's not their preferred style of writing and there's nothing that can be done about it. In the end, it's your story. Write it the way you feel comfortable doing and believe to be the best way of characterising each person within the story.

I hope you manage to keep motivated and flourish as an author! Good luck!

*huggles you*

\(^o^)/

P.S. A good example of an unreliable narrator is a Japanese Light Novel called: 'I Reincarnated as a Noble Girl Villainess But Why Did It Turn Out This Way?'.
The Japanese title for it is: 'Akuyaku Tensei Dakedo Doushite Kou Natta'
Also known as, 'Eliza', to some readers of it.
Here's a link if you ever want to read it.

X

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
it's wasted effort to care too much about the casual comments of readers :P

Chiisutofupuru

I've had this kind of thing happen to me too.
Something about the MC doing something wrong but she wasn't exactly punished (the opposite actually).
What I never mentioned was that the MC was 'told' to do it and the person that supposedly should've given her trouble was actually the one who made the error and could've been the one given trouble.
So I tweaked the scene to reflect just that, so it was made clear to the readers.

Sometimes you need to show certain things so it makes sense I guess.

Last edited:

Rapture_edge

I think that if there are a lot (And I mean A LOT) of people complaining about it, then maybe despite your efforts to hint these things, it's still being missed either because of "dumb" readers or that readers tend to just zoom by that detail thinking its unimportant. If that is the case, then i guess its time to rethink the current way it's being written.
However, If there are a lot of people who DO get it, and only a handful who leaves these complaints and comments then I guess you are succeeding in your intention. I mean not everyone has the same interpretation of the info they read and it may be necessary to "lead" them to think what you want them to think in a more spoonfed manner. The old rule "Show don't tell" may not necessarily be applicable all the time. in fact, in some cases, I'd rather tell than show. also i mean, we are in a site where most of your readers probably read LN and we know how LOT of these novels are geared at mindless entertainment. so your readers could be used to such spoonfed infos. especially those reading CN were its just so dumb and obvious. (not judging. I read a lot of CN too and love it for its mindless entertainment.

Wahyu123

Well, for me personally, I don't think there are dumb readers, it's just that I think readers are different people, that is why there is no way a reader can completely know what a writer want to describe and tell the reader about an event or character. And because of that, when I write, usually I try to only write important information and leave out any detail information which I think won't affect story and create a hole as much as possible while thinking that it won't trouble readers even if they don't know using the easist and most common words used so the readers won't get confused because of having too many information

Thanks everyone! Most of the comments that are left don't really point out what made it weak and yeah maybe I have to put more context in a way that my readers would be able to absorb it without braining too much! I do use the unreliable narrator tag when I feel that it would be a major plot point but otherwise I just find a way for my characters to voice it out.

However, If there are a lot of people who DO get it, and only a handful who leaves these complaints and comments then I guess you are succeeding in your intention.
Yeah it's only a handful like for 3 out of 10 but it still gets to me sometimes when I feel like I have to defend why my character did that when I already showed and told why my character would end up in that action

But really thanks guys

JustHANO

I like it, a bit of bite with that bark. Your readers aren't dumb, probably just use to what normal media provides.

I think about this a lot, "if I let my character take a guess at something and they end up wrong will they get it?" Normally in shows, in a fight, the mc or side character will explain what most likely went down and unless it's a big deal, they're usually right. This happens for more than just fights.

One of the few shows i know where this doesn't do this is hunter x hunter, they theorize about other people choices and powers and end up wrong all the time. I appreciated that the author put fate in the me to understand that.

Nowadays I just write in a little reminder after it's done. Like mc will guess what happen, test his theory, turn out to be wrong and instead of going right into what it acutally is just be like "guess I was wrong." Same for non fight scerinos. I do this just because i was criticized before for not doing it basically, but i guess it's all up to your trust in your readers

tak

how can MC be so dumb when they're on top of the class?
me.
class is usually just remembering things (until the test is over, I usually forget after that) or finding pattern/puzzle (math, formulas).
my EQ? lol. Do I pay attention to my surroundings? lol. Can I remember the way? lol.

but I like misunderstanding tag & multiple POV where we see 1 event from various POV.

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
me.
class is usually just remembering things (until the test is over, I usually forget after that) or finding pattern/puzzle (math, formulas).
my EQ? lol. Do I pay attention to my surroundings? lol. Can I remember the way? lol.

but I like misunderstanding tag & multiple POV where we see 1 event from various POV.
education in schools is almost entirely memorisation with a bit of critical thinking and intuition. so its a very frequent thing for people to be "smart" yet "dumb/foolish/idiotic" at the same time xD

Reactions: tak

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Most readers just wanted to shut off their brain and read to forget their real-life problems. They simply did not care much to the detail as well as the mindset of the characters in a certain event. That is why the face-slapping of CN and slice-of-life isekai of JP became so popular. They are simple, repetitive, straightforward, and satisfying.

I once tried to not describe the mindset of the characters and why the decisions they took was the best at the time ( limited by circumstances or mindset ). It proofed to be bad. The readers would just not think and say that my characters are too stupid. Even when I directly spilt out the reasons, some of them would still skip that section and left a comment about how the characters are stupid.

In the end, it's my story and my choice. If I think that it is logical, then I would leave it like that. No one cares about this story more than me.