Another world

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
We've all probably thought about how nice it's be to be summoned to another world, but exactly what would you do in the new world? We're not going there as some MC with cheats, you're sent there with just the clothes on your back and whatever you're holding at the time.

Miserys_End

[Lv1 Pretend Person] Im the person I pretend to be
Hooray i get to keep my leathermen!! Even without cheats I could make a decent life in another world. Blacksmithing, agriculture, and cooking are three professions that I could easily excel in... even starting in the middle of a forest, as long as I dont encounter something that can insta-kill me I would stand a good chance of making it to a village or city.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
We've all probably thought about how nice it's be to be summoned to another world, but exactly what would you do in the new world? We're not going there as some MC with cheats, you're sent there with just the clothes on your back and whatever you're holding at the time.

Who said it is nice to be summoned to another world? Even if you have cheats. Maybe if it is a futuristic world, but medieval world? We modern humans wouldn't survive psychologically without our creature comforts.

Just the fact that you'd have to shit in a hole in the floor if lucky would discourage most modern people.

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
Who said it is nice to be summoned to another world? Even if you have cheats. Maybe if it is a futuristic world, but medieval world? We modern humans wouldn't survive psychologically without our creature comforts.

Just the fact that you'd have to shit in a hole in the floor if lucky would discourage most modern people.
It would certainly discourage some people. It'd really depend upon how experienced the person is with the outdoors and with having minimal creature comforts. Though even then it would be difficult, since outdoorsy types are still used to their carefully constructed equipment that wouldn't exist in such a world. I doubt most who aren't complete woodsmen would be able to survive if they are placed very far outside of a city/human help.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
One thing that is somewhat unbelievable for me, is when a person from our world gets transported into a magical one and they can cast magic like everyone else - even though their body constitution and mental comprehension of the magic would most likely not be sufficient.
X

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
I think it would be hard! As @lnv said...

Haha XD my entire novel is about how hard it would be from a realism tilt lol

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
One thing that is somewhat unbelievable for me, is when a person from our world gets transported into a magical one and they can cast magic like everyone else - even though their body constitution and mental comprehension of the magic would most likely not be sufficient.
X
It would be more unrealistic to think that your constitution would be exactly the same after going through a dimensional transportation. Especially one where the logic and physic of the world are completely different.

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
It would be more unrealistic to think that your constitution would be exactly the same after going through a dimensional transportation. Especially one where the logic and physic of the world are completely different.
X
I honestly just find it most annoying when someone has knowledge from another world and that somehow makes them super OP with magic. If they are at normal strength or stronger than normal for reasons that have nothing to do with being from another world, I'm fine with it. But OP due to transport has always felt like lazy writing to me.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I honestly just find it most annoying when someone has knowledge from another world and that somehow makes them super OP with magic. If they are at normal strength or stronger than normal for reasons that have nothing to do with being from another world, I'm fine with it. But OP due to transport has always felt like lazy writing to me.
I agree that it's unrealistic with using knowledge cause I know of an airplane but that doesn't mean I know how it works or the physic behind it. The thing is what's OP about a transported character is their different mind frame and thinking pattern. The locals have one thinking pattern and the character has a new one.

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
I agree that it's unrealistic with using knowledge cause I know of an airplane but that doesn't mean I know how it works or the physic behind it. The thing is what's OP about a transported character is their different mind frame and thinking pattern. The locals have one thinking pattern and the character has a new one.
When it's well-done I can buy that. But even still, I think that mind frame and thinking pattern differ by individual and doesn't have so much to do with the world they come from.

Worth the Candle as an excellent exploration of that, with a type of magic that is very much intuition and irrational in nature is very hard for the MC who is rather logical and rational in nature to understand to the point that he can negatively affect it with his desire to understand it mechanically.

Miserys_End

Think I'll stand on the other side for arguments sake xD
I would argue that while the knowledge from earth shouldn't make a person instantly powerful, applying that knowledge would give related magical fields a large boost to their output.

Let's take fire for example. We know that fire burns hotter by introducing higher quantities of oxygen. We also know that introducing the fuels in different states with change how the flames react to it. So if a mage could apply that knowledge to their fire spells, they can imitate anything from a fuel-air explosive, to napalm.

We can do the same for air via by tampering with the quantities of the different air particles(oxygen, carbonate dioxide, helium, ect ect), raising or lowering the air pressure, or using vibration to create walls of sound.

Water, purity for clarity and hardness. Viscosity, salinity and particle movement to either freeze or boil the water as needed.

Hell even the basics of gravitational forces are covered in highschool...

So I would argue it's not that we have overpowering abilities in another world setting, it's the application of our knowledge that twists and augments whatever abilities we are given

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
Think I'll stand on the other side for arguments sake xD
I would argue that while the knowledge from earth shouldn't make a person instantly powerful, applying that knowledge would give related magical fields a large boost to their output.

Let's take fire for example. We know that fire burns hotter by introducing higher quantities of oxygen. We also know that introducing the fuels in different states with change how the flames react to it. So if a mage could apply that knowledge to their fire spells, they can imitate anything from a fuel-air explosive, to napalm.

We can do the same for air via by tampering with the quantities of the different air particles(oxygen, carbonate dioxide, helium, ect ect), raising or lowering the air pressure, or using vibration to create walls of sound.

Water, purity for clarity and hardness. Viscosity, salinity and particle movement to either freeze or boil the water as needed.

Hell even the basics of gravitational forces are covered in highschool...

So I would argue it's not that we have overpowering abilities in another world setting, it's the application of our knowledge that twists and augments whatever abilities we are given
I just find that too often authors use it as an excuse to make their protagonists OP, with essentially no drawbacks. I think that an alternate way of using magic should allow for strength, there should also be some sort of flaw in the transportation as well, otherwise it just makes for another boring OP MC.

Miserys_End

I just find that too often authors use it as an excuse to make their protagonists OP, with essentially no drawbacks. I think that an alternate way of using magic should allow for strength, there should also be some sort of flaw in the transportation as well, otherwise it just makes for another boring OP MC.
Fully agree, I honestly forgot to add in the negative of being from another world. Well actually it goes both ways. Its basically that both sides are already locked into "the way things should be". Their common sense is skewed by their planet of origin. While magic is characterized in fiction, true magic is unknown to the general population of earth, so earthlings will find hard to truly bring out their true potential in the magical or marital arts. Even the most chunny lost in their delusions would find it hard to reconcile with powers that didnt match their delusional ones. So while we would eventually have an advantage over those of the new world, it might take us longer to get there.

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
hmm prolly become a Demon Lord!

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
I foresee waves of monster spamming in your future... thankfully each wave will be short and full of weak blobs.
just wait till those blobs evolve into Rimuru Tempest
hmmph!

Miserys_End

just wait till those blobs evolve into Rimuru Tempest
hmmph!
They're blobs, not slimes. I doubt you could evolve them all before losing interest and sending them on their way. Besides Rimuru is a one of a kind. One I doubt would be working under any demonlord let alone you xD

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
They're blobs, not slimes. I doubt you could evolve them all before losing interest and sending them on their way. Besides Rimuru is a one of a kind. One I doubt would be working under any demonlord let alone you xD
non non non

I'll definitely have a Rimuru Tempest!

Miserys_End

Keep dreaming blobby boy. Sentient slime is not going to be that common.