TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
Bro looks like he giving his sword a blowjob or smth. Also the arm holding the sword is kinda weird, mostly in terms of the pose (try that irl). It kind of looks like he tried to cross arms in front of his chest but then this sword popped out of nowhere. Basically, I think that making the pose you were going for and taking a picture and using it as a reference would help

Maldon

Arm too short
one shoulder is larger than the other
no nose
pure black background is kinda ugly.

Those are the most noticeable things to me, but for a begginer this is not a bad piece at all, I've seen worse covers on trending.
Just study more anatomy.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Frankly, you've got a strange way to draw boob. I did my best to fix it, but I can't make miracles.

boobfix.jpg

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Thats actually pretty cool.
I may use this pose since this was what I was going for, but in the end, ended up with that trash Illustration.
it’s honestly not a bad illustration, you just grew a little too greedy and added the arm in, you could very easy just have kept the arm off screen and only had the hand there holding the sword. You’re conveying everything well enough. Continue drawing and good luck, I’m sure you’ll get even better! (Take this from someone who also draws their covers and used to draw horrendously)

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
nobody comments on the eyes that are too close to each other...

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Aww. I think it's great for a beginner. If it helps, it might be that you've given yourself too little space on the canvas to draw the character, so you feel it's very squeezed in? Try making the canvas big, drawing more of the character, and then crop it where you like at the end. It might give you more freedom to play around with the pose as well, and you might feel more comfortable overall.

A lot of beginners develop a habit of drawing large objects/characters in small canvases so that they don't have to draw the rest of the body, or to avoid possible flaws, but that sort of thing can cause a picture or pose to feel too stiff, static, boring or boxed in. I feel this is a limitation many of us develop due to fear, as the lack of space doesn't allow us to play with backgrounds or other elements to tell our story in the image.

As for props... If you really want to use the sword to obscure the face (for mystery purposes), you can perhaps try it the Squall Leonhart way.

His gunblade is wide though, so it works better in the overall composition. Your blade may be a little too thin to be placed around the mouth. So try playing around with where the blade goes and perhaps you'll find a pose you like.

At any rate, kudos on trying to draw your own cover! I love seeing people make that extra effort. :blob_salute:

Varstark

1. Why is the handle green? It does seem to be transparent. Ghost sword?
2. Is the sword supposed to be a soft glow or a harsh glow like a lightsaber? Hologram-ish? Because I've no idea how you went for the lighting in contrast.
3. The eyes seem a little cross-eyed.
4. Left upper arm is too short. Way too short.
5. If the left jacket collar was drawn shortly because of perspective, try and show it.
6. Maybe try and draw in the texture of the jacket. Is it thick or thin? Leather, denim or cotton?
7. It appears like he's sort of blurring out of the darkness. Maybe a faint light source on the back that gives him a backlit outline. I dunno. Absolute black might be a terrible background colour.
8. Hair isn't rendered enough.

LilTV1155

Does the handle really have to glow? I get the blade. But the handle?

MyukiMruieast

Departure of Motivation led me to want water
Need more lighting. Darkness should be more visible in his back and corners.

D

Deleted member 54065

IMG_20220203_150418_copy_2112x2816.jpg

Alternate pose you can make is to put his right arm (to your left) in his pocket.

Edit: feel free to ask me when you need help.

Last edited by a moderator: