Any insecurities you authors have about your novels?

LazyPanda

I have many of the common insecurities. Plot holes, plot repeats, over usage of the same words, more mofu mofu scene, not realistic mofu mofu scene, and stuff.
Then having to take on hard criticism to my novels hurts bad... I got a really sensitive skin about it. (Though I'm trying to be more thick skin about it now). :sweating_profusely:

tigerine

I am an older writer, so I don't have many of the issues that other (younger/less-experienced?) writers have. I am also not a "pantser" or gardener, whichever way you want to describe people who just jump into a plot. I am an "architect"-type writer. I begin with building the world with a whisper of a story in mind, and slowly zero in on how and where to set it. I follow mainstream writing principles (e.g., Chekhov's Gun) and have a solid background in literary criticism.

My insecurities stem from the genres I write in. There are not many friendly places for original BL (especially not original BL that will eventually have explicit scenes). Everyone seems to be down on isekai/xianxia/cultivation novels. My novel, which has all of these 'unpopular' tags, isn't bad. I write pretty well. But most people read 'to the genre'. Even if they might enjoy my writing in a vacuum, they will never touch my novel because of the genres in which I write.

This novel is training for writing other things, but it is still my darling. It means a lot to me and I'm sad that it's DOA for the majority of potential readers.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
It can be anything, i.e., not having decent grammar, bad word choice, and etc.

I for sure have a lot, but my most prominent insecurity of my novel is amateurish writing.
So I'm a bit curious if other authors have any.
I'm weak with plotting and ... consistency.

ForestDweller

OMG I FEEL ATTACKED (yes to all insecurities). and may i offer one more insecurity: Plateauing

i have been writing for a few years now, and my new fear is if my writing maybe hit a wall, and won't evolve/improve.

But whatever, even if it has that can be overcome. Besides readers still read what WE ALL WRITE, so meh
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, plateauing.

In getting new readers.

kaida

There's a lot, honestly. Really, it's everything.

But one of my biggest insecurities and disappointment is my fluctuating inspiration and motivation. Sometimes I can write day after day and other times it will be months before I even open the doc, so often my ideas change around too. Also, I struggle a lot with creating tension and utilizing motifs. I'm getting better though :blob_reach:

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
My biggest insecurity is the flow between sentences and paragraphs. Although I line edit, use speech to text software, and add transition words whenever possible, I never feel my flow is adequate when reading other works.

TLCsDestiny

So I started to give you my thoughts upon this and realized that...I'm an idiot...
(So I deleted what I typed...)
It's a bit embarressing upon why I feel ok about my insecurites and really shouldn't tell you!
What I will say is that I'm good, insecurities and all.
*shrugs*
Live Life and make the best of it!

ForestDweller

I'm mostly insecure that my stories have no value, nobody likes them, and they inherently lack anything interesting or compelling about them. I feel like they're more like an exercise for my own satisfaction and that they have no external appeal to other people, nobody really cares about them, and they mostly just got readership because they're free to access and people were bored.

So I deleted them all. :) I ultimately lost the battle against insecurity. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, I know that feeling so well. That's why I deleted my own stories.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
I don't want to be repetitive in my word choice. I always look for various ways to say things but always feel that I can’t express things as majestically as others...

like me saying "always" twice too close together...

LilithFairen

The fact that the ideas I've really gotten into writing are of a genre that's often dismissed as immature and childish because of its focus on feminine elements, all while it's considered "mature" and "deep" to take said genre and turn the people it's meant to positively portray into a bunch of incompetent, naive, hysterical victims. 🙃

ForestDweller

I don't want to be repetitive in my word choice. I always look for various ways to say things but always feel that I can’t express things as majestically as others...

like me saying "always" twice too close together...

Wish I can resurrect the dead and order the souls of famous authors from history to write my novel. :cry: :s_tongue:

RimuThighHighs

I always feel that my writing could be more polished my descriptive language could be more refined and my characterization more fleshed out.

Glorious_Milfhunter

Huh? Who are you?
No everything i write is basically the epitome of perfection. Honestly my only gripe is that im TOO good. Its honestly quite boring, being such a godly writer. There are no challenges, no obstacles. Only pure, unadultered greatness.

....Why must everything i touch turn to gold?

--Cupcake, suffering from success.
Oh lord, bestow some luck on this poor hunter :blob_aww:

OvidLemma

I have a pretty good grasp on what I'm good at as a writer. My grammar is good, my sentences are varied, and I can write from sentence to sentence very well. I'm also overflowing with fun and original premises, and my fans often request sequels. All is good and life is easy, right? Wrong! No, I am beset with uncertainty and insecurity.

It's the stuff in between the top and bottom levels that tend to get me. I worry whether I'm writing emotionally impactful scenes and whether my characters come across as genuine. I worry that I'm writing like a storytelling robot.

For instance, take my ongoing novel, Visions of Dark & Light. It has what I thought was some of my best writing and best characterization. It's a joy to write and the chapters just flow off the keyboard (I wrote about 140k words of it in about six weeks). However, it has about 1/5 the readership of my more popular stories and the reader response, while positive, has been depressingly anemic. Maybe it's just because it's a different genre, but I'm terrified that I'm writing a boring story that people quickly tune out from.

I also worry whether the fact that I'm on the spectrum has anything to do with it. I'm much more attuned to some details than the average person and far less attuned to others. For instance, I'm much more likely to write about somebody's emotional behavior ("he clenched his fists") than I am about their internal emotions ("anger rose up in him like an acid") when describing intense scenes, and I can only gauge my own reaction to my story and compare it to how I feel about the works of other authors. So I worry that the emotional content I'm conveying is, essentially, being written by somebody (me) who isn't a fluent speaker of that language. Does that make any sense?

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
Conversations and plot development
I struggle so hard imagining how to talk to other people, how to start a conversation naturally and all that, can't really use myself as reference since I don't think starting a conversation with "you still alive?" Is the right way to go. Also unlike most who have some semblance of an idea on where they want there story to go to, mine are just a bunch of fragmented scenes in my head that I'm doing my best to connect the dots with and so far I'm not sure if I chose the right dot or not

TheHelpfulFawn

A small animal that helps you with your groceries
Feeling like it's not good enough

Flow

Grammar

Dialogue

Plot

Details

Yeah lot's of insecurities, but you gotta keep on trucking as they say.

Karver

I feel like the title of my novel is deceptive to its contents, but I don't know how to fix the issue.
In addition, my paragraphs usually end up a bit too long as I can't seem to find a proper stopping point to break them up in a way that won't be so long.

shiopan

how to continue making it interesting.

I am quite confident about how I started my story, at least I think many people also see it the same way as me. But I am afraid it will get boring quickly. That's why I was stuck writing one-shots in the past.