Any recommendations for light novels where MC is self-aware?

killwrites

Need motivation
Something like Konosuba's take on isekai, I suppose. Can be stories on this site too

Jemini

Something like Konosuba's take on isekai, I suppose. Can be stories on this site too
Can you define "self aware" a little more? Are you talking like they are aware of their own flaws and short-comings, or that they break the 4th wall and are aware they are in an isekai story?

If it's the latter, that's not called self wareness. That's called genre savvy. If you are asking about a genre savvy MC, I have noticed around 60% of the isekai stories today are written with genre savvy MCs. Personally though, I like the ones where the MC is not genre savvy, but it's a multi-reincarnator/transmigrator story and one of the others IS genre savvy. I just love the idea of the MC staring at this genre savvy side character like they're an idiot, because any normal person would think they are an idiot in this situation even though they are actually spot-on correct about everything they say.

(BTW: I did exactly this in my own isekai story. My side character Rolwen is completely genre savvy and my MC is constantly rolling her eyes at him whenever he goes off on a genre savvy tangent.)

Last edited:

Anon_Y_Mousse

Ruiner of Plots, Scrambler of Words
Do you mean MCs that break the fourth wall...? I think a lot of novels nowadays do that to an extent, specially the reincarnated villainess stories.
If it's the latter, that's not called self wareness. That's called genre savvy. If you are asking about a genre savvy MC, I have noticed around 60% of the isekai stories today are written with genre savvy MCs. Personally though, I like the ones where the MC is not genre savvy, but it's a multi-reincarnator/transmigrator story and one of the others IS genre savvy. I just love the idea of the MC staring at this genre savvy side character like they're an idiot, because any normal person would think they are an idiot in this situation even though they are actually spot-on correct about everything they say.
Well my novel has that type of thing ig, though the MC is a Xianxia protagonist so he actually listens to whatever the genre savvy person is saying, especially when it involves the dao. Xianxia protagonists and Reincarnated JP-style protagonists have a lot of differences, but if there's one thing that they have in common, it's the amount of bullshittery they can produce. Bullshittery that ends up being right.

LostLibrarian

To me, it works best in comedy, because it can lower the stakes in other types of stories. So I would go with Lazy Dungeon Master. Pretty much self-aware all the time and with the resulting wall-breaks.

killwrites

Need motivation
Can you define "self aware" a little more? Are you talking like they are aware of their own flaws and short-comings, or that they break the 4th wall and are aware they are in an isekai story?
What I think of a self-aware MC is something like a middle between the two types you mentioned--someone who's not a completely flat character, not necessary know that they are in a story but acts in a way that defies expectations (like a parody) of said story, if that makes sense. Do genre-savvy stories usually feature such characters?

Jemini

What I think of a self-aware MC is something like a middle between the two types you mentioned--someone who's not a completely flat character, not necessary know that they are in a story but acts in a way that defies expectations (like a parody) of said story, if that makes sense. Do genre-savvy stories usually feature such characters?

Yes, and there are degrees of genre savvy.

And also, genre savvy is very much the proper term here. "Self aware" is a term that also has a very specific meaning. It means to be aware of your own psychology, including personal flaws. Thus the confusion in your use of the term.

Newfypuppie

The reincarnated into otome games has a lot of these

Reincarnated as the piggy duke
White pig reincarnation
Dukes daughter
Villainess reloaded
Reincarnated as a mob character
Legend of oda nobuna(though this technically is just a historical isekai)

More traditional isekai

Disciple of the Lich
I shall survive using potions

some non light novel but webnovel versions
Isekai noburi nouka
0 believer goddess

Mr.Grey-Cat

my novel, Lost Solace Online's protagonist is like that, with a lot of fourth wall breaking comments, and sometimes thinking about what kind of twist and events may happen to her if she is not careful.