Anybody else have more reads on a later chapter than the ones before?

Hollow_

So, I was looking at the statistics of my web novel that started around a week ago. Somehow, my second chapter has several more reads than my prologue and first chapter. I admit, it does have a much cooler title than them so more people may click on it, but I would never imagine hopping ahead in the story lol. Do people actually do that, or am I crazy?

EternalSunset0

Not by much, but yeah.

I think it also counts as two views if someone opens it, leaves, then comes back to read it. That would register as two reads if I'm not mistaken.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Ai-chan wouldn't care so much about it. Sometimes people click and just let the browser sit before moving on. Sometimes, it's just scraper bots doing their jobs. Ai-chan has gotten to the point where Ai-chan doesn't even look at the stats. 200 reads? How many people actually read it? How come not even 2 people say anything? Therefore, Ai-chan decided to set expectations at a very low bar, as in 5% out of what the statistics say.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
It’s easy. People see a novel in latest updates and click on the newest chapter. It’s easier than clicking the cover icon. Then they move to the novel synopsis.

Some stay, some disappear into oblivion...

Jemini

I get this all the time. Although, my story is a little lore heavy and it is usually chapters that drop some lore that get more views than the chapter before it. I have always assumed based on this that people are coming back to the chapter to reference it.

Another cause can be if your comments section gets really active and people keep coming back to interact in the comments.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
It's normal. Happens all the time. People sometimes go back to certain chapters and that ticks more views. I have many that are like 500-1000 views more than the usual ones, but that's due to the "character" of the content inside. But, that also happens when you mention something that was described in the past and people go looking for it to check the connection, increasing views again.

Daitengu

As a reader, I bookmark the latest chapter I'm on. I go to that bookmark to see if there's been updates.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
So, I was looking at the statistics of my web novel that started around a week ago. Somehow, my second chapter has several more reads than my prologue and first chapter. I admit, it does have a much cooler title than them so more people may click on it, but I would never imagine hopping ahead in the story lol. Do people actually do that, or am I crazy?
If it has something like the most hearts then it will probably be looked at more.

And don't worry about it. It's a bit common. Not by much, but just a bit. Yeah, that's a lie.

Valmond

Reader dropoffs happens significantly between the first five chapters. I have stated this before, it is common to happen. However, readers might also reread a chapter, or jump ahead. Yes, it does happen. So once I even decided to pull quite a clever trick.

My main series, it is quite long, so each chapter is divided into parts. What I did for the second book specifically, is that the final page appears that it is a good ending. Though, also confusing if you just skip to it. So, readers would go back, and find out it ended tragically the previous page. In the end, I get the last laugh. 🥳

Unfortunately, I could not do this for the final book. Hence, while it is the true ending of the trilogy. It is not the true ending of the series. The real ending happens in a collection of short stories, which the real finale is there. I try to combat as much jumping ahead as I can. 😂

It helps to an extent, but peeps sometimes cannot help themselves but to try and see the ending beforehand.

UnratedX

Reader dropoffs happens significantly between the first five chapters. I have stated this before, it is common to happen. However, readers might also reread a chapter, or jump ahead. Yes, it does happen. So once I even decided to pull quite a clever trick.

My main series, it is quite long, so each chapter is divided into parts. What I did for the second book specifically, is that the final page appears that it is a good ending. Though, also confusing if you just skip to it. So, readers would go back, and find out it ended tragically the previous page. In the end, I get the last laugh. 🥳

Unfortunately, I could not do this for the final book. Hence, while it is the true ending of the trilogy. It is not the true ending of the series. The real ending happens in a collection of short stories, which the real finale is there. I try to combat as much jumping ahead as I can. 😂

It helps to an extent, but peeps sometimes cannot help themselves but to try and see the ending beforehand.
the hell do you care if peeps skip ahead? when most readers are sorting chapters last to first no duh they will see last at the top :LOL: salty at readers readin ur book in the order they want, wat??

CadmarLegend

the hell do you care if peeps skip ahead? when most readers are sorting chapters last to first no duh they will see last at the top :LOL: salty at readers readin ur book in the order they want, wat??
The readers have too much freedom! Stop them! Charge!!

XD.

But really, we don't need to be salty. It's just their prefered way of reading....

Valmond

Indeed, thing is however. There are readers out there that will only read a book based on the ending is a happy one. Hence, I came up with a clever way to trap them. I did not put in countless hours into writing, for it to simply be skipped over. They can sort last to first, first to last, whatever they want. Though, if they decide to look at the last part, it sends a false sense of security, leading them back to the front. So, they will go through the story as intended, just to be hit with the realization right before the end. I write tragedy, so I have to think a bit outside of the box.

CadmarLegend

Indeed, thing is however. There are readers out there that will only read a book based on the ending is a happy one. Hence, I came up with a clever way to trap them. I did not put in countless hours into writing, for it to simply be skipped over. They can sort last to first, first to last, whatever they want. Though, if they decide to look at the last part, it sends a false sense of security, leading them back to the front. So, they will go through the story as intended, just to be hit with the realization right before the end. I write tragedy, so I have to think a bit outside of the box.
As a happy ending reader.... thou art deemed to be diabolical!

Valmond

As a happy ending reader.... thou art deemed to be diabolical!
XD

Sorry, I have been finding new ways to get creative with these things. For instance, one of my recent works. It looks like the ending is a happy one. However, all of my works are connected. Hence, there is a small Easter Egg. This Easter Egg immediately pushes the ending into an unknown state.

Since well, the character could be dead. 🥳

The only way to have a chance of figuring this out for sure. Is to read at least the short stories. On the front, it looks fine. However, on the back end of things, it calls for more in depth look. For those who read the works in order, they’ll have a great chance of figuring it out. Those who at least read the short stories will have a pretty decent chance as well.

Those who read that one first, then read the other works might eventually pause, and rethink the ending. 🐕

Still finding more creative ways to go about things.

D

Deleted member 45782

It’s easy. People see a novel in latest updates and click on the newest chapter. It’s easier than clicking the cover icon. Then they move to the novel synopsis.
Yup. Had me confused when I first started out both in writing and trying to find first ch to read on SH. Took awhile for me to realize I can sort the chapter by ascending or descending order, thu naturally it is descending with latest chapters the first thing you see and last are the oldest chapters.

JK-Sama

I have one recent chapter that has 59 views, and every chapter before and after it has like ~5-16 on average. Only most of my beginning chapters have more than 40-50 views. It's kind of baffles me and I'm not sure what to make of it.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Lets make your chapter 76 at 69 views lol
The reason is probably just as Tiaf said

It might have been better in the long run to release your chapters more slowly in SH (with the similar speed you had released on RR), building your reader base at a natural pace.

When a reader sees 100 chapters without much comment, fav, rating, it might be a bit worrying and feels like a big investment to read. Meanwhile, if you see a few chapters, the readers would think "hmm I'll just take a peek it wont cost me too much"

Even if you have a lot of success on RR, most people wont search reviews of your work on google. They'll rather rely on the local rating comments and review I think.

Ask your RR readers to come in SH and put their rating and comments too, it might help xD