Anybody with an ongoing webnovel want to trade critiques?

MasterJenkens

I have about 30 or so chapters of my WN completed, but my biggest problem is I like to write a succinct story. Not a fan of wishy-washy narratives, pages of dry exposition, and endless descriptions detailing irrelevant worldbuilding, to me that's not immersive, it's just boring.

(Looking at you Mr. Isekai inventing rubber products for 20 chapters. Wish I could remember the name of that novel?)

Saying it like that, it all sounds well and good, but I take that too far and most of the time end up with an incomprehensible mess, and no matter how many times I re-read it, I fill in the missing narratives, exposition, and descriptions in my head--the parts that leave the reader clueless as to what's actually happening.

Does anybody want to trade critiques as we go? Maybe reviewing each other's work once a week? It'd work best to find someone with a similar pace and current number of chapters. So far, I've written about 50k this month. Most likely that pace will slow down to maybe 10k/week.

Oh, and I'm going against the grain and releasing by the arc just because it's easier on me (so far that's been 10-15 chapters/arc, but that's not held to any rigid standard.)

I'm a big fan of portal fantasies and want my world to make sense without over-explaining it--the biggest flaw I've found with the genre. No problem reading cliches, most of them I really like (except loli's--dunno what's with that trend?)

Edit: I guess I should add, the novel is a black comedy. It's a lot of fun doubling down on serious situations and making them absurd. That's kind of the style I'm going for, morbid and campy--a world where the characters take the situations seriously, but the reader can see they are absurd, and laugh with an upset stomach. Anyone got similar tastes? Or, heck we could even start a Discord group, even if you don't. I've certainly read enough of the genre to appreciate all the different forms it comes in.

Last edited:

LWFlouisa

I'd consider it, though how fast are we talking about? I'm in the middle of possibly starting a new series, if I don't break into graphic novels.

MasterJenkens

Whenever. I'm a new author and don't have enough readers' feedback to make sure my story isn't going off the rails. (I'm sure it's come close)
Basically just read each other's stuff as we go and give some feedback.

It doesn't have to be anything detailed, just general thoughts. I'm not really concerned about grammar so much as getting another POV since mine's stilted. I always see my story differently than other people do no matter how objective I try to be.

But I've already got almost 70k words down and plan to continue at about 10k/week (though the arcs are always going to be mass released 10-15 chapters at a time, so might it be a 2-3 weeks between updates)

It's definitely a fast pace and my book's pretty strange, so this thread is kind of a long shot.

Still, I'd like to put in an equal effort on reviewing the other person's work, so hopefully, I can find someone with similar wordcount goals.

Here's the link: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/69516/in-another-world-with-the-god-of-death/

I'd be happy to look over yours to see if we mesh.

MasterJenkens

It's a dark fantasy I'm trying to lighten up, super heavy on the camp and melodrama. It's based around flesh powered magic, so the characters get themselves into some really morbid situations that are both serious and absurd.

Basically an insane god reincarnated an obstinate old lady into the body of an OP monster princess and follows her around in a isekai setting trying to goad her down the path to godhood so she can protect him from Death.

LWFlouisa

Added, and will read as I get to. Balancing it with an AI hobby I have.

It's a dark fantasy I'm trying to lighten up, super heavy on the camp and melodrama. It's based around flesh powered magic, so the characters get themselves into some really morbid situations that are both serious and absurd.

Basically an insane god reincarnated an obstinate old lady into the body of an OP monster princess and follows her around in a isekai setting trying to goad her down the path to godhood so she can protect him from Death.
I'd be up for it as well tho I'm not as fast a writer.