Anyone else gets discouraged by your average views per chapter dropping?

thats wack yo. I cant believe it really takes that long, i mean i always felt english was amongst the easiest of languages to learn. The only problems i think non-native speakers would encounter are things like it being TOO simple or having words that can fit anywhere and change the entire meaning of the sentence.
Example, place the word "only" anywhere in this sentence: She told him that she loved him.
Done? Now try that while putting the word "only" in italics

Both versions of the word, when placed, can change the sentence a fair bit. Like those kinds of things, and how we have words that read the same but arent read the same--like in this sentence with "read"--can be confusing.

And the fact some words are both present and past tense . Like cut. I got a cut vs i got cut.

...Yeah okay never mind english is fucky as hell.
It's not about the language itself but the translation. Your thoughts and ideas are in a different language and not only do you need to articulate them but you also have to do it in completely forigen language while keeping the core meaning intact.
The most challenging factor for me is dialouge; different idioms, phrasing, and styles. But again, things get easier the more you practice.

RayneStorm

Well, i don't see it as a problem. Just write the one you want to write, and may the force be with you.
I update the one I'm enjoying more more often at the moment. I can't wait for people to read the chapters I'm working on right now but it feels weird saying how excited I get about my own stories :blob_sweat:

ForestDweller

...what's the average word count? Cuz anything over 4k and people dont want to read it. Personally I never really make chapters more than 2k long or so. Sometimes that goes over as I try to find a good stopping point. But yeah. People like shorter, easily and quickly readable chspters.

On the other hand, some of my readers had told me they preferred longer chapters. So I hovered around 3-4k these days.

morhamza

It really bums me out too, and I just got started. The issue with my story are obvious ones, it is a slow burner, and the point the story starts in might've given prospective readers that the starting point was much further along the MC's life. That said, about 2-4 of my readers actually read new chapters, and my views per chapter are all over the place. It gives me the impression the story is bad and I should just abandon it, which makes me lose all enthusiasm to write.

Yamazaru

If English isn't your native language, it's normal. Lately, I've been writing faster, but I can still sometimes write 2k words for seven hours. All because some words and idioms are so hard to translate accurately. You need to change paragraphs and rewrite them just because you couldn't find a translation\substitute for a single word.
English is my native language. The reason it takes so damn long is due to breaks, and trying to write the story well. With my novel, I have the story down, but I have to get a way to put some sort of comedy in effect. As well as, I write in a script like style, as weird as that sounds, so I don't do the "Character looked up at the sky in awe", I have to find a way to tell that in my style of writing. My first chapter was easy to write, however, Chapter 2 was a huge problem since I can't really find a way to convey a platonic relationship, since I'm in love with the one female friend I have. Other than that, chapters are pretty easy to write if ideas come along the way.

SailusGebel

thats wack yo. I cant believe it really takes that long, i mean i always felt english was amongst the easiest of languages to learn. The only problems i think non-native speakers would encounter are things like it being TOO simple or having words that can fit anywhere and change the entire meaning of the sentence.
Example, place the word "only" anywhere in this sentence: She told him that she loved him.
Done? Now try that while putting the word "only" in italics

Both versions of the word, when placed, can change the sentence a fair bit. Like those kinds of things, and how we have words that read the same but arent read the same--like in this sentence with "read"--can be confusing.

And the fact some words are both present and past tense . Like cut. I got a cut vs i got cut.

...Yeah okay never mind english is fucky as hell.
The basics are simple. But when you try to write more intricate things, it becomes messy. You don't know the slang, and there are different types of English(American\British). For example, I know that I can't create a character that uses a common language or a vernacular without help. And as @greyblob said, changing your way of thinking so that it fits different languages is hard. Reading or listening to something in English is relatively easy. Yet applying all the rules as you write is much harder.

ForestDweller

Don’t worry young one if you post more than other ones that are good. People will get bored waiting then might find your series

That only works if you have short chapters.

That's why a lot of WN have really short chapters. So they get bumped into the front page often.

Yeah same, but then I go commission/make a new cover, and everything is fine :blob_uwu:

I wish I have a lot of money like you.

That's why I started a Patreon. To fund my character design commissions.

LostLibrarian

That's why a lot of WN have really short chapters. So they get bumped into the front page often.
Short chapters gets you a lot of eyes really fast, quality is what lets the readers stay and come back.
I didn't post in months and still get new readers/comments every other day.

It isn't as fast or impactful as trending but length alone will let you get into the higher ranks of some tags/genres which will bring eyes to your story...

Reading or listening to something in English is relatively easy. Yet applying all the rules as you write is much harder.
Reading is actually much more difficult, but you have to read, not just read. Take any book, preferably a professionally published one, and give it a shot. Try to take note of sentences' structure, vocabulary, flow, etc. It'll take exponentially more time and effort to read now, but it'll definitely be worth it. You'll start to notice discrepancies in your own work much easier as well.

SailusGebel

Reading is actually much more difficult, but you have to read, not just read. Take any book, preferably a professionally published one, and give it a shot. Try to take note of sentences' structure, vocabulary, flow, etc. It'll take exponentially more time and effort to read now, but it'll definitely be worth it. You'll start to notice discrepancies in your own work much easier as well.
I already do this, and I do this for a long time. Btw, I was talking about reading, not reading. Like how I read in my native language, I don't necessarily look at how this or that is written, take notes, etc. For me, writing something for fun in English is harder than reading for fun. When you add analyzing the text, yeah, reading becomes much harder. Still not as hard as writing, though(for me personally).

I already do this, and I do this for a long time. Btw, I was talking about reading, not reading. Like how I read in my native language, I don't necessarily look at how this or that is written, take notes, etc. For me, writing something for fun in English is harder than reading for fun. When you add analyzing the text, yeah, reading becomes much harder. Still not as hard as writing, though(for me personally).
Listening is the easiest for me, even compared to fun reading. Writing is the most difficult, though.

Kitsura

Eh tbh I've had thoughts of dropping. It was a fun ride for the past 7ish months of writing my book but I kinda want to drop everything and focus on my other novels tbh. I am currently writing way more than I want to per day and it wearing on my nerves.

I found three main factors that usually affect this. 1. You just posted a chapter. 2. You're on trending 3. Random? Maybe a couple of readers decide to binge read your novel. But honestly, views don't really matter. Readers/valid reads should give you a more accurate representation.
I upload daily, so 1 shouldn't matter. Pretty sure I'm not on trending and my title doesn't appear on NU either, so yeah, probably 3, but still really weird lol. Like, sometimes my new readers won't change but I'll fluctuate up or down significantly. At this point I mostly ignore all metrics, tbh.

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
Kinda bums me out from releasing new chapters tbh.
To me it is indifferent since I write for myself and not for others. I think that one should write because they enjoy it and not be swayed by views and other numbers (that can't be controlled).

Of course, in your case I think that is due to the disatisfaction of your readers. I haven't read your work but I noticed you have 16 reviews and a lot of views on your novel.

It is natural that the majority of the readers will drop the novel since it is a very long story (counting with 204 chapters and going). So due to its lenght, a lot of readers end up leaving.

On the other hand, I've read some reviews and apparently you decided to change the style, from a happy/light-hearted novel to a more dark-themed and the majority of the readers did not like it. I think that as a writer one should be creative and allow himself/herself to expose their ideas but, even then, it is important to understand what the readers are searching for.
A bit like, if you go to a clothing store, you expect to see sweaters, jeans, shirts, but what if, one day you find it is not a clothing brand anymore? It is now a jewlery? You, as the costumer will become disapointed and probably never consume from that store again.
The thematic is similar.

Just wanted to help. You do you and write what you think it's best.
At the end of the day, numbers are nothing more than numbers and you shouldn't be stuck to them. Just write as you please, the rest will surely follow!
:blob_cookie::blob_cookie::blob_cookie:

ForestDweller

On the other hand, I've read some reviews and apparently you decided to change the style, from a happy/light-hearted novel to a more dark-themed and the majority of the readers did not like it. I think that as a writer one should be creative and allow himself/herself to expose their ideas but, even then, it is important to understand what the readers are searching for.

Yeah, that's why I've been adding foreshadowings on the early chapters.

Go make a discord if you did not do so.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea. It reduces the comments you got on the story itself, no? Not to mention you have to police it.

Toripuru-S

Kinda bums me out from releasing new chapters tbh.
I would most likely just be repeating what others have said, but keep going ♥️ and keep writing ♥️. Tell the story you want to tell regardless of the statistics.

I understand being concerned about the amount of readers, but if your work is good sometimes you gotta search for the readers 🙂 (or give them hints on where to find you 🤭) and advertise yourself often 🙂. Do you post your work to more than one platform? 🤔. I don't post only on Scribble Hub 🤫.

ForestDweller

I would most likely just be repeating what others have said, but keep going ♥️ and keep writing ♥️. Tell the story you want to tell regardless of the statistics.

I understand being concerned about the amount of readers, but if your work is good sometimes you gotta search for the readers 🙂 (or give them hints on where to find you 🤭) and advertise yourself often 🙂. Do you post your work to more than one platform? 🤔. I don't post only on Scribble Hub 🤫.

Yeah, I post my work on other sites as well.

I don't even know how I would advertise myself.

Toripuru-S

Yeah, I post my work on other sites as well.

I don't even know how I would advertise myself.
I see 🐵.

I advertise myself through Instagram 🤣 and Twitter 🤣, and just use whatever relevant #hashtags on them when making new posts about my novel. I like to think it works 🙂 even if it's a little bit 😋.