are authors actually Dumb?

Mr.Grey-Cat

so I am pretty sure, all readers and authors know, but sometimes, or more like all the times, authors do write some pretty dumb shit -no offense-, so because of that I just had to ask, could it be that authors are actually not doing that from laziness but from dumbness?

like, imagine someone working on a novel, and thinking about it too much, going through revisions, and even having stress about publishing - of course not all, and also to varying degrees-, and because of that, his mental capacity get full and he starts losing his sharpness. so, do you think that may actually be the reason why some author's IQ decrease? why they keep forgetting what they have written? and why their characters seem so stupid?

what do you think?

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
so I am pretty sure, all readers and authors know, but sometimes, or more like all the times, authors do write some pretty dumb shit -no offense-, so because of that I just had to ask, could it be that authors are actually not doing that from laziness but from dumbness?

like, imagine someone working on a novel, and thinking about it too much, going through revisions, and even having stress about publishing - of course not all, and also to varying degrees-, and because of that, his mental capacity get full and he starts losing his sharpness. so, do you think that may actually be the reason why some author's IQ decrease? why they keep forgetting what they have written? and why their characters seem so stupid?

what do you think?
If an author works on more than one story, losing sight of what the story was and characters isn’t very difficult. If the story is also very long, unlike a reader who reads their story in a couple of days, the author spent months or years writing it. A person’s memory does not retain every single detail over such long periods of time. Couple that with an author experiencing writer’s block and forgetting things you wrote is bound to happen as the story is no longer fresh in your mind.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy

SakeVision

Sama/kisama

what do you think?

I have brain damage and I always write drunk or high, so there's your answer

Mr.Grey-Cat

Please.

We're all dumb. The only reason why its noticed among authors, is because they're putting their stupidity out there for everyone to see.

a very good point, but the question is... first, is our dumbness eating on our brain by the second or not?...... two, is it infectious?

KrisVFX

God of Creation

what do you think?
More or less, most of us lose brain cells while trying to be within the reders expetation, or better than that.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I have brain damage and I always write drunk or high, so there's your answer
I don't have brain damage but I do write while drunk, high, or both. I was also raised by two alcoholics who regularly smoked weed. My memory is shit.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
i find myself writing the best whenever I'm under the effects of insomnia.

the sleep demons are guiding my fingers across the keyboard.

ben is no long̷e̷r̴.

i̷ ̶a̸m̴ ̵x̴a̷l̴g̷o̵t̶

F̴̢̚E̷̜͑Ē̸͚D̸̺̀ ̴̝̈́M̴̮͂Ê̵̜ ̵̬̚C̷̯͝U̷̞͛N̴͉͒N̷͎̾Y̸̞̓ ̸̝͝M̶̛̝Ò̶̺Ė̷̟

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
It's not that the authors are dumb. It's that humans are dumb, and that stupidity shines when it comes to anything creative, or rather, when it comes to the very complicated things that require an undeterminate amount of skills of various varieties - such as writing.
(after I wrote this, I went off the road into a weird rant)
Humans tend to place themselves at the center of their worlds. They'll do the most stupid and obvious mistakes in real life, where many before have made these mistakes - because they think they are infallible, that they are special, that everyone else is but a part of statistics, while they are something else.
Its hard to blame them. I believe that there is an objective reality independent of human thought, but nobody ever has been able to even glimpse at it. What we all see is the surface of the bubble that our mind is, and upon which the reality reflects.
We are realities upon ourselves.
Every person does something fascinating without even realising it, they create a world inside their heads. It's hard to put into words just how crazy I feel about this idea. It's insane, and the fact that we can do it inherently? Unconsciously? It scares me as much as it amazes me.
But that is also our shortcoming. A shortcoming as common for an individual as it is for a group.
We think that we are at the centre rof the world. That we are special. We create the world. We are the world. Except, we don't. We aren't. It's already there. We just make sense of it by incapsulating our experiences into personal bubbles that reflect a pathetically narrow and hopelessly incomplete image of what the world truly is.
So, when an author makes mistakes? Creates dumb scenarios? When the characters act dumb?
It's just an illustration of the shadows of the real world, left untouched by the surface of the bubble. Writing is a process that can be whatever you wish. No matter how much knowledge or experience you have, no matter how much time and effort and soul you put into writing, it will never be enough to completely exhaust the potential to what could be written, to what could be employed, used, applied into writing. No matter how far you stretch your bubble, it will never touch every part of THE reality.
Maybe those mistakes are precious in their own right. Ultimately, they, however little or much effort the author put into their story, are reflective of what it is that the author overlooked. What fell into the shadows of their bubble.
As much as they are a reminder of our inherent incapability and inconsequentiability, they are also a glimpse into what lies beyond us.

Maverick234

I'm not an author myself so I can't talk about what an author goes through, but I tried writing a story myself, only for myself and later trying publishing it if I ended liking it. But I failed.

It is hard nowadays with almost any thing you can think of already written.

I would recomend you to try writing a story yourself and NOT PUBLISHING it before you think it is ready. You will find out it is harder than you imagine.

Also, the esiest thing in the is taking something already existing and improving it, so I would advise against doing so. Legal problem will most likely appear there and this web is already full of those.

I have seen some really amazing stories here but the authors burning out of fuel as the story progresses and droping. And none of those were things like "Talking rock in naruto world".

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

what do you think?
To cite the late Rumsfeld on this matter,

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tends to be the difficult ones."

Don't ascribe to apparent dumbness what we explained by an intelligence failure, on both sides.