Are fanfictions really interesting?

Do you think fan-fictions are better than the real ones.

• Yes

• No

• Some of them

• I don't read fan-fictions

• I don't read/watch the real ones. XD

Results are only viewable after voting.

Myuym

I think that the problem is that you compare fan-fictions to the original. The original has fans, so it is obviously good.

If you would have the writer of a fan-fiction write their own original story, would it be better? That is the question.
I think taking an existing universe can take away a lot of the worldbuilding necessary. It can be a crutch to let someone tell their own story. (but the tell your own story is kinda important)

Like a pokemon fanfic that is telling the story of an independent trainer that might never even meet Ash is different from a harry potter fanfic that has the PoV of an gryffindor student during the books. Is also best friends with Harry and crew, and basically just an attempt to retell the HP books, but with their OC included as a main character.

I also have read some good fanfictions. [RWBY/The Gamer] The Games We Play, Disk Five | SpaceBattles Forums was one I remembered and liked. (I haven't seen/read RWBY though)

Titanoktonon

One scenario that I want to see played out by probably never will in canon is Naruto bragging too much to the younglings and spilling that he was the first kiss (and possibly only kiss) of Sasuke and Sakura. There's nothing that says he wouldn't, and Sarada would probably try to forget knowing that and never bring it up.
That's one reason to want fan fiction. Or not want.

TRNRLogan

Obviously there are good fanfictions. The majority however, are mediocre or trash. But that's fine, after all most fanfiction authors are amateurs and a lot of the time haven't written anything before.

Jihn

Your friendly neigh-borhood horsey!
If you add a nudist bear cult and drugs, then sure.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Writing about someone else's characters is good practice for being a narrative designer for games. It's difficult to stay true to someone else's character. However, you also can't be afraid to add your own flair. Just as real people change over time, you need to consider how the characters will change as they age. That's why I set my story ten years after the end of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series. All the characters are adults now.

Tessa_Renalds

Neighborhood DM
Fan fictions are fun, I like writing about my favorite series or characters. I can’t say I was ever good at them, but there were some that were really really good. I’m currently reading a fanfiction from Tales of Symphonia—the author is doing a novelization of the game but he’s adding in the plot holes that the game inevitably dropped. I really enjoyed reading it, as it brought me back to when I played it on the GameCube. Good memories.
Now the question is if I should ever bring my gakuen Alice or Inuyasha fanfics over. Or maybe it’s best to leave them dead in fanfiction.... oh well. To each their own. :)

CookieCrumble

Technically, I'm not quite sure I agree with this simply because the number of people aged above 18 number a lot more than teenage girls. AO3 is made by fandom people who are definitely not teenagers....and there are of course big name fanfic writers in various fandoms that are "old" (above 30, above 40 etc)

You have to consider fanfic as a different genre, different ways of packaging tropes. The reason why there is "bad fanfic" is because it's the more visible way young writers start writing. Bad OG writing just isn't as visible because it can't get any popular heat from fandom imo 🙈🙈🙈
Yeah, that's fair. That's the case for my fandom though, YMMV.

xluferx

Well fanfictions are interesting it honestly depends since very few are actually so good that you forget they are fanfics, but the majority are like a copy paste of just changing names which or adding a pinch to an already established thing, the Majority and I mean majority of fanfics are like that same plot same stuff same everything with the exception of whatever the author adds.
I wrote fanfic and still do but I really try to avoid that pitfall, and deviate form what is already kknow.

Funnyface

I agree with Myuym. Fanfictions have an edge over other stories because they don't have to waste any time developing a mental image of the characters, and if you really have a unique story to tell with the existing characters in a new direction then there you go. Overall I think they're not bad and a great way to get started as a writer or share your enjoyment of a universe with a community of fans, but they're not something I'd spend any time looking at. Maybe I'm missing out.

Last edited:

deltanz

Vanguard Squad
I only read FF's from a couple fandoms, but I find them interesting to read as they allow for others to write their own thoughts on what could've/should've happened during canon stuff or what might could happen in AU's. High School DxD is one good fandom FF imo for this as it's canon leaves a lot of different options people could write about as what if's, but that's me.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Now, I have read some of the fanfictions, and I quite didn't like all of them. Most of them were just not good enough in front of the real deal. Most of the fanfictions are based on the popular series, manga, anime, etc. (non-famous ones are not known cause they are non-famous), and they fail in comparison in front of them. What do you all think?

My novel's name is: The Forgotten Universe. (I did not create a signature still)
Personally, Ai-chan isn't fond of fanfictions. They have a tendency to self-insert and throw Mary Sue characters in their image, such as that one Dragon Age fanfiction where the protagonist (a woman) knew everything that was going to happen and romanced her way into getting all the male characters to work together for the greater good, even when the characters were not supposed to gel together. Or that one Stargate Atlantis fanfiction where the author introduced a Mary Sue character who survived alone while killing Wraiths and single-handedly destroyed Wraith Hiveships by setting the interior on fire since 'the inside is flammable'. Well it's not, it's not even squishy.

Fanfiction authors has a tendency to self-insert, making themselves the super amazing character that every other character are amazed by and look up to. Yes, that is a Mary Sue. Every problem is solved by the self-insert, every issue pointless before the character and everyone love the character unconditionally. Is it bad from a storytelling viewpoint? Yes, very. Does it matter? Not really. We know it's trashy fiction, so we don't really have much of an expectation of it.

Some people probably say that if you change the story, change the characters and put them on a different location dealing on different issues, then it can be good. However, if your story doesn't involve the original characters, is not set in the same place and does not touch on the original plot, can that even be called a fanfiction? For example, if you put a Naruto powers system into shianshia story with none of the Naruto backstory or characters, is that a fanfiction or a derivation of a Naruto element?