Are fanfictions really interesting?

Do you think fan-fictions are better than the real ones.

• Yes

• No

• Some of them

• I don't read fan-fictions

• I don't read/watch the real ones. XD

Results are only viewable after voting.

Aniket-111

Now, I have read some of the fanfictions, and I quite didn't like all of them. Most of them were just not good enough in front of the real deal. Most of the fanfictions are based on the popular series, manga, anime, etc. (non-famous ones are not known cause they are non-famous), and they fail in comparison in front of them. What do you all think?

My novel's name is: The Forgotten Universe. (I did not create a signature still)

Attachments

• Novel Cover.jpeg
    Novel Cover.jpeg
    623.9 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: CL

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Now, I have read some of the fanfictions, and I quite didn't like all of them. Most of them were just not good enough in front of the real deal. Most of the fanfictions are based on the popular series, manga, anime, etc. (non-famous ones are not known cause they are non-famous), and they fail in comparison in front of them. What do you all think?
Let me tell you that fanfictions are a side mirror to the real deal, an impetus made by wordsmiths. It is, but of course that a fake can't beat the real deal! It was often said that fanfictions are the easy way out of losing when it comes to writing. For writing, comes an industrious making, not flourishing an already existed novel.

It was always that there were also copycats that changed titles, synopsis, and images to recreate a brand new novel of a novel that already existed. An illustrious heinous trick that made you feel like you created something, yet not. Then again, they've written the chapters with their own hands - that I can assure you is true dedication to write something different of what they love... even if it is non-canon.

Fanfictions demographic were always for the young teenagers who couldn't afford money on the real thing while an adult doesn't have the luxury to be reading another side of an original novel when they could buy those original books and get drunk reading them. Of course, since the existence of anime, it was often sophistry that when an anime would suck - people would compare it to its fanfictions - which is hypocrisy because a fanfiction was created due to being a hard-devoted fan.

A fanfiction has its own brilliancy, yet brilliancy wasted upon creating a fanfiction could have been converted to writing books because it would literally sell a lot of money. Then again, that's why its demographic is for the young people because they don't know what economic means and are still trying to figure out what a kilometer is.

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

My novel's name is: The Forgotten Universe. (I did not create a signature still)
Depends. Which one did you read? ^^ And what did you search for in them?

Reactions: CL

Ace_Raven

I judge fanfiction with a different standard.

First of all, the nature of fan fiction is self-satisfactory.

It is never ment to be published or rate by the masses.

The reason? Again, because it's fan fiction.

The writer will have different grasp of understanding compared to the original author of the works.

Second of all. Because it has all kinds of legal issues.

Third, because it mostly has bad quality (again first reason) that will impact the targeted audience (some even destructive to the original works).

To simply put, i won't even recommend you to write fan fiction.

If you have the time, just write original story inspired by the original works (inspired not blatantly copy paste, that is plagiarism do not do it, lawyers is expensive).

Are they interesting? Well, It depends.

You are in luck if you find interesting one.

Last edited:

greatATTACKshark

I will through in my two cents, I believe fanfictions can never surpass the original because they rely on to much on the original. Most of them that I have read all rely on the fact that the reader is already knowledgeable of the original and don't even try to describe characters, places, and other general things. If you didn't read the original the fanfic just seems nonsensical and vague.

Aniket-111

I judge fanfiction with a different standard.

First of all, the nature of fan fiction is self-satisfactory.

It is never ment to be published or rate by the masses.

The reason? Again, because it's fan fiction.

The writer will have different grasp of understanding compared to the original author of the works.

Second of all. Because it has all kinds of legal issues.

Third, because it mostly has bad quality (again first reason) that will impact the targeted audience (some even destructive to the original works).

To simply put, i won't even recommend you to write fan fiction.

If you have the time, just write original story inspired by the original works (inspired not blatantly copy paste, that is plagiarism do not do it, lawyers is expensive).
I do write an original story named the forgotten universe. Please go ahead and read it.

Ace_Raven

I do write an original story named the forgotten universe. Please go ahead and read it.
Hey i already checked it. Not read it yet though.

But, hey add more tags will ya?

That will help more people to find your story.

Best of luck for you.

skillet

a frying pan
I usually think that, like all things, this really REALLy depends on the writer. I've read mind-blowingly well-done fanfics that I go back to almost every year because it just is so. well. written. If I was to compare these against the actual story they came from... some of them would very easily stand side-by-side in terms of quality, though usually the media is a bit different and thus can't really be compared.

However, the reason you may not have found fanfiction yet that lives up to the "real deal" is because the majority of fanfictions come from amateur writers attempting at writing fanfiction: the fanbase can't really be expected to be made up of all talented people who naturally have a knack for professional-level writing or have that much practice as the original story's writer(s) would have. But I would still like to say that they are there, and that it is very, very possible. Why? Because fanfiction or not, I consider a story's quality to essentially boil down to its writer's ability to execute, whether the plot or world that is being executed originates from something else or not. HOWEVER, most fanfiction will not live up to that quality (as you have probably experienced), not because fanfiction as a genre (? don't know what to call it lol) is foundationally lacking, but because the majority of the 'fans' that make the 'fan'-fiction aren't at that level... yet. I've literally had fanfic writers I loved so much, I read their crossovers and whatnot and still found them brilliantly done.

So yeah! If you're dealing with a brilliant writer, fanfiction or not, it will still be brilliant. If you're dealing with amateur writers, which are the majority of fans who are largely not as invested in writing enough to cultivate their abilities, it will (of course) fall short. The 'real deal' did come from a professionally successful writer, after all. But fanfiction in its essence? I'd say it's still very, very possible.

Aniket-111

Hey i already checked it. Not read it yet though.

But, hey add more tags will ya?

That will help more people to find your story.

Best of luck for you.
Thanks. Just so you know, I am new to writing, so my WRITING SKILLS are bad. About the story, I have received good feedback, so you can give it a read, once you are free or something.

Ace_Raven

Thanks. Just so you know, I am new to writing, so my WRITING SKILLS are bad. About the story, I have received good feedback, so you can give it a read, once you are free or something.
Hey don't be like that.

Take a pride in your work.

But don't be attached. Because one day you will write a story better than your previous one.

A step forward is a step forward.

Like a baby, if you never fall, you probably will never learn to run.

CookieCrumble

Come on, you just haven't find the gem. And boy, when you do find it. It's shine.

One of my old-time favorites was this 'How thing Smurf' series from LadyRaven-321 and let me tell you, I'm grasping on the edge of my seat, weeks by weeks I'm waiting it update and when the final bang came. I shed a little, sorry a lot of tears, it flooded. Without spoiling the good lady fic, it expounded a very rich characterization, redemption arc, and character growth that I knew and long the smurfs had in them. Not just some comic relief cartoon villainy hogwash the Hanna-barbera keep spouting to cater their lowest common denominators.

Fanfiction when done right gave justice. It's cathartic. Especially if the universe they were in not the sole right of the author anymore (executive meddling is a thing you know).

Even the prolific author of wandering inn (pirateaba) explored the unexplained magic system of turnamancy from the Erfworld series (you know before they abruptly close their site) and it was amazing. It at least 50-70k words long and 3 months deep and I didn't regret every second of it.

Of course, it also needs to be acknowledged that demographically, fanfiction writers are mainly tween girls. And since their target demographic is also tween girls with very rich inner world (Because kid). With just a little prompt, even the one who comprised of self-insert mary-sue with the whole chapter been nothing but dialog between themselves and the character they wrote, it becomes super popular. Not unlike how SH caters to people with questionable offshoot 2D fetish (you do you guys).

Thus like @skillet said, what matter is who wrote the story

bafflinghaze

fanfiction writers are mainly tween girls. And since their target demographic is also tween
Technically, I'm not quite sure I agree with this simply because the number of people aged above 18 number a lot more than teenage girls. AO3 is made by fandom people who are definitely not teenagers....and there are of course big name fanfic writers in various fandoms that are "old" (above 30, above 40 etc)

You have to consider fanfic as a different genre, different ways of packaging tropes. The reason why there is "bad fanfic" is because it's the more visible way young writers start writing. Bad OG writing just isn't as visible because it can't get any popular heat from fandom imo 🙈🙈🙈

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I think the appeal of fanfictions is mainly that you get to see more of something that you can't see much of. Or that you already saw everything you had to see of.

To give a simple example, I have read tons of touhou doujinshis, over 400 of them... Because I just love touhou, I love the universe, I love the characters, I love it and yet... Games are released once every few years or something, and the dialogue in the games is pretty small and doesn't develop the lore much, you just... Can't see much by playing the games.

But I love touhou, I want to see those characters participate in more things... So I've seen fan-animes, I have played fangames, I have read a fanfiction, I have read tons of doujinshis, because then I can see those characters that I love interact more than they did in the game.

That's why I enjoy it, that's why it feels good... It's a franchise I love and that I want to see more of, fanfiction feels great on those.

Like, sure, I could be enjoying an original work at that point... But original works won't fill my touhou need. So they are not doing what I wanted them to do.

Fanfics are generally amateur works and you can often see them get dropped and often times the quality is poor... That's fine, that's part of how they work, you accept this much when you choose to read fanfictions... What matters is that your demand for seeing more of something you love is fulfilled by the hard work of someone else that also loves the same franchise you do, and that makes the experience quite enjoyable~

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

I think this...

1620220187770.png

Way

This turned out to be a bit of a ramble, but I'm kinda rusty, so sorry about that.

Apply Sturgeon's Law. 90% of all things are generally eh. The works you like enough to find fanfiction for probably are past your personal 10% mark, now you have to find the 10% of fanfiction that jibes with you.

What does the 10% have to offer you? Well, some of them might just explore certain aspects and perspectives unseen in canon, or they can be utterly transformative, entirely upending the work. The best of them are a direct improvement in all aspects, from characterisation to plot and worldbuilding, while either keeping to the canonical themes or going their own direction entirely.

In the end, fanfiction is just work that builds off a pre-existing work, and guess what? Most works are fanfiction, one way or another. Everything mankind has is built from older stories. Myths, folks tales, religion, philosophy. Dante's Inferno is considered a great piece of literature and single-handedly established the foundations of what would become the modern Italian language. It could also be interpreted as at least a bit of a self-insert fantasy if you shift it 45 degrees to the left.

Thus, I find it kind of erroneous to ask if fanfiction is good or bad- it simply is, like all works of literature. I'm aware of the reputation modern fanfiction has, but again, when you filter through the 100% of all fanfiction from the 10% of work you like...a good deal of them just won't hit that mark.

Even today new authors begin their first fanfic, and over the past few years at least some of them have authored original works.

Personally, having a world to build off and expand makes for good practice in worldbuilding, since as you already have a baseline, you are essentially forced to ask about deeper implications, as well as filling in the gaps of the world while trying to make it mesh with what is already there. And believe me, most original works simply don't reach that far in terms of worldbuilding as well. Not everyone can be Tolkien and set up every corner of the world, nor are they necessarily relevant in the main story even if the author did think that far, so there is a lot of room for new stuff. The world is your oyster.

Now, what I really want to know is what will the world have to offer when today's works become public domain? Now that'll be interesting times, though we won't be alive to see it.

Last edited:

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
It's easy to write, it's easy to read, and it's very good under the right hand.
In my country (Vietnam), there is a very famous fanfiction of the game League of Legends called "Legendary Journey". I think the first Season (There are 2) it got 2m views. And that was the very first novel I read, even though it's cringey af it left good memory, and I still felt sad how the author still mourn the death of the MC til this day.
I think that was the most famous Vietnamese story I've ever read

D

Deleted member 45782

Depends on who writes it. Personally I don't really read fanfictions - I have seen some, but it just not what I'm into. As with any writing it depends how good the writer is. But I'm not into it because i rather read the original it was based off on. That being said, theres at least one story or two that if I had to write fanfiction, I would choose to write on it bc the ending not that satisfactory and seems have plotholes. For most part, I like writing original - something you can truly claim is your original work - and something you can take to commercialize on later, if you ever, do become a successful writer.

Westeller

The only real difference between a fanfiction and a fully original novel is that the author of the fanfiction drew on an existing setting. That's it. So, yeah, there are some really fantastic fanfictions, and some really awful fanfictions. The same as novels you'll find here.

I've read fanfictions that were easily on par with their source material, or even exceeded it. I've read fanfictions that twisted source material in fascinating new directions, shared insight into the material I never had when reading it myself, fleshed out characters, places and events.. Breathed new life into old stories. ... I've also read more than a few that were just.. not great. Or so bad I dropped them five sentences in. Yeah.

There are, at this moment, 833k fanfictions for Harry Potter alone on one site - Fanfiction.net ... Nearly a million works written by countless fans and authors. For one novel series. On one fanfiction site. ... Now, a lot of them aren't particularly worth reading. But many of them absolutely are - sometimes even for people who hate the source material. The world of fanfiction offers an absolutely massive library of writing, and it's very much worth exploring.

*Remembers where I am* .... AO3 has a lot of fanfiction smut, if that's your thing. :blobrofl:

Last edited:

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.

Fanfictions, if written well, are a great thing to read. Like, if an aspiring author creates a fanfiction, and they're a good writer, that person can pull off some amazing things! I've read quite a lot of good fanfictions, and they're mostly goof.

ALTaccounti

I write a RWBY fanfiction myself I am usually the type who just takes the name and expand on the already expanded world, add my own story and original characters etc. Fanfiction can be good if you put your own input into it and (In my opinion) not some X reader/ship type of stuff. (sorry for the people who actually like those types of fanfics)

Its really fun to do at least for me.