Aren't Sh rankings kinda useless?

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
Like, #6 in the covid-19 quarantine?
I mean, I read not a few novels where they had a relatively high ranking on one tag despite not having arrived at that point in the plot at all yet. It's kinda bugging me, though I'm pretty sure nobody even looks at those rankings.

blazjindanblue

Dunno what u mean but it's nice having a few recent stories up there as a reader. And as an author it's nice to get publicity...
So why not?

Jemini

1. The most effective tags are the ones that are off the default list, not custom tags. It's true custom tags are possible, but it doesn't grant your book any publicity unless it shares a tag in common with something else.

2. #2-10 are all MUCH more valuable spots to have than #1. (#2-#25 for bigger genres like adventure and fantasy.) This is because the #1 item on the lit usually does not need the extra publicity, but items further down can ride it's coat-tails. Meanwhile, #1 is only about bragging rights.

3. The more tags there are on a series, the more the publicity-enhancing function has a chance to actually work.

4. Regardless of your place on the list, most readers are smart enough to realize that #5 on a 5 item list is not that impressive. You have to not only be on a bigger list, but also have around the same number of digits in your view count as the top 5 on the list. Most of the time, this will mean over 100K views.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Like, #6 in the covid-19 quarantine?
I mean, I read not a few novels where they had a relatively high ranking on one tag despite not having arrived at that point in the plot at all yet. It's kinda bugging me, though I'm pretty sure nobody even looks at those rankings.
Oi fuck you mate look at this. Everyone else's can be useless, but MY rankings matter okay? I worked hard for those :blob_teary:.

Thats my story and in sticking to it

Screenshot_20200326-054818_Chrome.jpg

Jemini

The fact you managed that smorgasbord of tags is something that is worth praise.

You think that's good...

(Yeah, this situation kinda calls for flex time. Now just watch Karami92 come in here and put my flex to shame. I think that dude may be the only person on the site to literally be #1 in every single tag he's got on his board. (with the majority of them also being popular standard/non-custom tags.))

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Oi fuck you mate look at this. Everyone else's can be useless, but MY rankings matter okay? I worked hard for those :blob_teary:.

Thats my story and in sticking to it

View attachment 2133
Agreed with Cupcake, everyone else's tag ratings may be meaningless, but nobody is allowed to scoff at my #13 in Faeries spot! :blob_hmph:
1. The most effective tags are the ones that are off the default list, not custom tags. It's true custom tags are possible, but it doesn't grant your book any publicity unless it shares a tag in common with something else.
What are you talking about? Custom Tags don't exist.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
You think that's good...

(Yeah, this situation kinda calls for flex time. Now just watch Karami92 come in here and put my flex to shame. I think that dude may be the only person on the site to literally be #1 in every single tag he's got on his board. (with the majority of them also being popular standard/non-custom tags.))

I'm snorting hard at seeing MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE as a tag. Seems like a good beginning for a dark humor joke right about now.

Jemini

I'm snorting hard at seeing MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE as a tag. Seems like a good beginning for a dark humor joke right about now.

Tends to be very helpful in clutivation-themed stories, which the power system in this world actually is although it's somewhat de-emphisised in favor of the character study and fey-world politics over combat and killing everyone. It also helps that the author (me) has actual medical knowledge at a college pre-nursing level.

(I actually have it where she develops an auto-cultivation method based on cellular growth. It's kinda crazy how powerful-sounding a cultivation method can get while you're not looking if you de-emphisise combat. Without the need for power-scaling, you can really just push that stuff along in a cold-war style way like nations readying their nuclear arsinel.)