Art

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
What would you guys say is a good website for drawing? I've been using one but would like to find one that is better. Anyone know any?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Do you mean a site to publish or one to replace an art program? Or one for references and tutorials?

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
Do you mean a site to publish or one to replace an art program? Or one for references and tutorials?
Like...to make art on? So I can add it into Scribblehub for covers and such. Sorry, that probably doesn't help but yeah.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I've heard that DeviantArt has something.

Kraken1

I have been using clip paint studio recently and have found it to be a very good program for drawing. It is cheap and you can get at least one month for free.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Like...to make art on? So I can add it into Scribblehub for covers and such. Sorry, that probably doesn't help but yeah.
Photoshop works.

GIMP is a decent free alternative.

I also heard of Krita, Inkscape, Affinity Photo and Mediabang, but I never tried any of those, so I dunno how good/bad they are.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
There are several sites that help in typesetting (aka beautifying the title) and composing a book cover (the book cover app from wattpad is easy to use), but they don't have the tools to create an illustration.

CSP was already suggested but it can be too heavy for potato PC. The phone app can be used for 1h/day for free and it has everything the PC version has just on a smaller screen. (Better only use it for color correction and minor edits unless you have a really big screen or are used to it.)

Aggie.io is a website to draw together with many people or alone online. Has all basic tools including transformation/resize.

Otherwise, there are free programs like Krita (more for painterly style) or gimp (free version of photoshop that is not so intuitive).

Drawpile is a free program that is similar to aggie.io (you can draw with other people online and make private drawing rooms) but has more tools.

Medibang is free for PC and similar to CSP just with fewer post-color-editing tools. Jump Paint is a program designed for manga creation (handling screen tones, text/effect tools). My first impression was that it has no differences to medibang. It's also free. (sponsored by shounen jump)

iBis paint is the most used tool for phone users.

Programs that are free for pc or phones are always paywalled for tablet. D:

Last edited:

PancakesWitch

there is also canvas.com if you want to make covers with existing art to add text and such

InfantryTerminator

Online drawing and editing software isn't the most reliable one from my experience, and I recommend downloading normal software

Krita - Very good for drawing
GIMP and FireAlpaca - The editing twinity, can do practically anything under the sun.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Everyone's giving digital art tips, so I thought I'd dispense some traditional art hacks I used.

Not drawing techniques, but technical techniques.

Using the scanner is the best possible method for capturing your paper sketches, but what I found to be most presentable is taking a photograph of my work in sunlight. Place your canvas/sketchbook on a flat surface next to a window and take your picture. If you prefer full natural sunlight, it's fine, but avoid the afternoon. The exposure will fuck up your image and you'll have a hard time dealing with your shadow covering your work.

As for the camera itself, your regular phone cameras will do. Adjust the contrast of your shot if you have the option, it helps to expose your lines yo be thicker. After you take the picture, don't immediately swerve away. Stay still for 2-3 seconds for the image to sharpen after capture. This feature exists for most phone cameras after 2018.

If you're using soft, regular paper, be wary of how you erase your stuff. For example, I always erase my shit up and down. As a result, my paper gets creased sideways. If I take the picture, I'd see the shadows of the creases fucking up the image. I rectify this by just flipping the sketchbook over where the light shines parallel to the creases. Minimum shadows come out of that (but do try to minimize your erasing).

Make sure your camera's perpendicular to the sketchbook/canvas. It goes without saying that you don't want a fucked up angle while capture your item.

Filters are your best friends, don't be afraid to use them. Sometimes, cameras/lightning just don't make your work pop out. Using some contrasts/highlights/increased shadows will fix it. Though try to go moderate to avoid your shit looking like an overexposed piece from the 2000s. Just stay away from colour highlights and try to maintain the original hue of your work.

Speaking of filters, Saturation works absolute fucking WONDERS if you're using a colour pencil and got some white slits across your surface area (you know what I'm talking about here). As I said, try not to overdo it though.

If you're using regular soft paper, wait one night before taking your picture. Sometimes, a heavily adjusted sketch will creases the edges of your paper. Try to flatten the edges or, if you're running on time, tape the edges to a flat surface or something (I tape the back of the page to my sketchbook's cover), this will prevent some sneaky shadows piercing from the corner.

If you want to use Instagram as your choice of filters (like me), posting one photo at a time increases resolution. Posting multiple in the same post will fuck up the resolution from a crisp 5 MB to a 130+kB jpeg.

On the same discussion, avoid using the Structure filter on Insta for now. For some reason using it eats your RAM like crazy and will freeze your phone if you try.

Don't crop your work from your gallery. It will fuck up the resolution akin to posting multiple images at once on Insta. Try using third party cropping software. They'll sometimes even upscale the resolution from their in-app sharpening features.

Unrelated to trad art, ImgBB is a great place to store your portfolio, at least for me.

That's all I got. Have fun.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
Krita, Gimp and Scribbus apparently. I imagine a graphics tablet is a help as I've never managed to produce anything with a mouse that isn't just a bunch of wobbly lines. Can't beat pencil and sketchbook :sneaky: