As a reader: Which one do you like - a webby plot or a straight plot?

A webby plot or a straight plot?

• Webby Plot (Since it sounds sticky)

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Straight Plot (For fluff? Wait...)

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Both?

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
I've been writing a new novel as of late, and its going well and good. Nevertheless, I just want to ask opinions from the readers.

Do you like a webby plot - like re:zero, Bakemonogatari, etc

Or a straight plot like - Slime-Tensei, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear, etc.

Just got me interested in which one do most readers like to read.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Both as a reader and an author, I like the overarching plot. It keeps adding depth and meaning to the past and building a larger, more comprehensive picture of the story as it progresses. Fluff novels bore me to all ends. Honestly, almost exclusively read fluffy visual media for arts and sounds. Even then, I still prefer heavy material than just fluff.

Stratothrax

I suspect why a lot of dungeon setting stories do well early on is because the plot is super straight forward- grow become more powerful etc, very few characters, lots of fighting.

Ral

I don't really know what you mean!

From what I can see (I haven't watched Bakemonogatari but from the three examples), webby seems to be stories (with a single main narrative strand) that have lots of sub-plots (in other words, a serial) while the straight stories are episodic. Is that what you mean?

They have both strengths and weaknesses and both structure can also be written well or poorly, so I don't really have a preference.

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
What I prefer is a relatively linear main plot, which serves to tie the entire story, or sometimes an arc, together and give it a sense of progression, with the main plot supported by numerous interwoven subplots, which serve to give insight into the world and characters, thus making the world feel alive, rather than one-dimensional.

ArcanePunkster

Depends on whether all the sub plots in the webby plot has a reason for being there. Like does it progress multiple characters back stories for instance or does the events of say subplot 5 help the cast in solving the main plot.
Filler subplots are fine to go along with the main plot but, you run the risk of doing the same thing that many Shonen Jump manga encounter. Like Dragon Ball, Naruto and so on where they're saturated with needless filler just to reach a chapter milestone.

Nezothecat

Both as a reader and an author, I like the overarching plot. It keeps adding depth and meaning to the past and building a larger, more comprehensive picture of the story as it progresses. Fluff novels bore me to all ends. Honestly, almost exclusively read fluffy visual media for arts and sounds. Even then, I still prefer heavy material than just fluff.
I commend people like you who likes complicated things like this, I read hyouka and really love it but at the end of the day, i enjoy it not because of its mystery but because it was actually fluffy.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
I like my plots like I like my coffee.

Dark Roasted, with plenty of cream and sugar, stirred together with a nice fuzzy foam layer on top, but still not sweet enough to fully remove that ever so slight remaining bitter note.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Reading a side plot gives me some time to let the main plot sink in. It's all the more pleasurable to get back to the main plot after a short wait. As long as the side plots don't take over the story, it's all good with me.