Ask me about fantasy lore history.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Well, that's making an awful lot of assumptions. The only thing you can tell from that is that they had a dolphin on a crest. Can't really say that means they thought it was a vicious creature. Perhaps they could have seen it as some kind of guardian creature.

That said, dolphins actually ARE vicious. They just typically don't attack humans. When it comes to sea creatures though, dolphins are the wolves of the sea in every sense you can possibly imagine.
They are smart, they bloody use pufferfishs as balls as well as getting high on their toxics.

Orcas are also one too, catapulting your preys out of water and into the sky to scare them to death is imo metal af.

SailusGebel

They are smart, they bloody use pufferfishs as balls as well as getting high on their toxics.

Orcas are also one too, catapulting your preys out of water and into the sky to scare them to death is imo metal af.
And don't forget that they use eels to masturbate.

Jemini

What made unicorns special?

What made them special? They are mythological creatures not existing in reality. Therefore, special.

I don't think that's the question you meant to ask though. I'm in the middle of piecing together a far less trolly / jokey answer right now. In the meantime, do you want to try to re-phrase the question? Otherwise, I'll just give a history of the unicorn. Or, maybe just a read through a wikipedia article would do the trick.

One of the more interesting things about the Unicorn is how much their original lore differs from later English lore. Original lore depicted Unicorns as powerful creatures. They are even mentioned in the bible as being renowned for their physical strength, which is where theories of the term referring to the Rhinoceros originated from. They were generally depicted as something like a bull with one horn growing from the center of it's head instead of two from the sides.

It is only later in European lore that they started being depicted as horses, and that was also when we saw them attributed with the ability to sense purity and only allowing pure virgin maidens to ride or even come near them.

Then, it is later in video games and modern fiction that they started having powerful healing magic attributed to them. Although, once again with the Rhinocerous comparison, there had been some talk about unicorn horns being used in medicines before the modern fantasy lore. This is not as strong a comparison to the Rhinocerous as most would think, though. It was actually common practice in Europe to take Narwhal horns and pass them off as Unicorn horns, and then make medicine out of them.

I guess... coming back around to the original question, maybe I actually can answer it as is. Unicorns were special because, up until fairly recently, there was a lot of reason to believe they might actually be real creatures, and there were several people who very much believed it including powerful kings and queens.

This includes in cultures outside of the one the stories were born in, which actually is quite special. It is common for the native culture a mythology is passed around in to really believe the creature in question exists. It is not so common for that belief to extend to other cultures who hear about it, though. Other cultures usually dismiss their stories as superstition. It is not that way for the unicorn though.

The Greeks are the best exemplars of this. Unicorns appear NOWHERE in Greek mythology. However, a place unicorns actually DID appear in Greek text was among historical and academic writings. The Greek scholars actually believed unicorns were very much a real animal that lived in some other country, most of them stating they believed it to be a creature native to India.

Last edited:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Err, dropping this down with my crazy shit on aboleths and illithids, why they only have one aspect of mind power is because of balancing in dnd.

Also, beholders are another weird ball for me cuz they can do reality warping when they are dreaming... wtf? Sad that they are a mere recent concept like the slimes though.

Jemini

Err, dropping this down with my crazy shit on aboleths and illithids, why they only have one aspect of mind power is because of balancing in dnd.

Also, beholders are another weird ball for me cuz they can do reality warping when they are dreaming... wtf? Sad that they are a mere recent concept like the slimes though.

Beholder was literally invented by Gary Gygax in the original AD&D monster manuals. None of that reality warping power or anything like that, just a list of abilities such as each eye being able to separately and individually take a separate action and each casting different very powerful and deadly spell-like abilities.

They were definitely high-tier monsters to be certain. Most of the stuff you are talking about is a recent 5e addition to the lore, though.

In order to really understand this creature though, it is best to look into the original TSR versions of the game. The Wizards version has certainly added more depth to the lore, but Wizards is somewhat contested in their view in regards to players, so relying on their version is not going to bring you much credit.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Beholder was literally invented by Gary Gygax in the original AD&D monster manuals. None of that reality warping power or anything like that, just a list of abilities such as each eye being able to separately and individually take a separate action and each casting different very powerful and deadly spell-like abilities.

They were definitely high-tier monsters to be certain. Most of the stuff you are talking about is a recent 5e addition to the lore, though.

In order to really understand this creature though, it is best to look into the original TSR versions of the game. The Wizards version has certainly added more depth to the lore, but Wizards is somewhat contested in their view in regards to players, so relying on their version is not going to bring you much credit.
The wiki lores are, as usual, conflicting due to different authors, different ideals. Ignoring how the ball of eyes are born, these creatures are a different but same type of xenophobic facedesks with wired magical gunbarrel in Seed. I like how ic the race wants to pursue magic, they must gouge out their main anti magic eye in order to min-max magic. Strange that the info of their god is non-existent though.

Leyligne

They took oodles from Lovecraft when they made D&D. As a guess, I’d say the Beholder god is something you do not want to name. Ever.

I’m kinda curious about this one, today. Also from D&D, mostly. The Xvart. Started in D&D, they wanted something with a lower challenge than goblins, so they took the name from the Norse realm of Svartálfheim and made tiny blue goblin like yet not goblins. Not sure they had much impact, though. Later, they were given a great backstory. An epic tale of jealousy, greed, theft, cowardice, paranoia and gods. Now they are still useless monsters, but interesting!

Curious if anything of the Svartálfhar is still present in the lowly joke that is the Xvart?

Jemini

They took oodles from Lovecraft when they made D&D. As a guess, I’d say the Beholder god is something you do not want to name. Ever.

I’m kinda curious about this one, today. Also from D&D, mostly. The Xvart. Started in D&D, they wanted something with a lower challenge than goblins, so they took the name from the Norse realm of Svartálfheim and made tiny blue goblin like yet not goblins. Not sure they had much impact, though. Later, they were given a great backstory. An epic tale of jealousy, greed, theft, cowardice, paranoia and gods. Now they are still useless monsters, but interesting!

Curious if anything of the Svartálfhar is still present in the lowly joke that is the Xvart?

Well, can't say I know much more than you do. You seem to have provided all of it already. And, honestly, I don't care much about D&D post-2000. So, can't help you much about something that, according to the quick internet searches I did, is an invention that first appeared in a line of magazines that started up in 2013.

Well, yeah. I suppose I can at least give you that much. White Dwarf is the name of the magazine line, and the Xvart first appeared in issue 9 of it. You can start your own search there if you want to know more.