ask reader to leave a review

scribesaga

it would be great if a reader was prompted, after reading a couple chapters, if they would be interested to leave a review. I've published two books, and working on a new project, and despite several likes and ratings I've noticed no one seems to ever want to leave a review.

Millarca

Some readers will even sacrifice their soul to Satan if you ask. No programming knowledge necessary.

scribesaga

I guess you're right. I've included author's notes before but that still hasn't worked.

D

Deleted member 49654

I guess you're right. I've included author's notes before but that still hasn't worked.
So you want to make it an obligation?
You can add an author's note or post to your profile. However, in the end, it still depends on the reader if they want to write it or not. Unless a system for locking chapters until you review the novel is implemented.

Maybe after 10 or 15 chapters, if you want to read the rest of the novel, you gotta write a review and submit a rating. With the option to change them afterward if you find the novel unsatisfactory.

OpenGL

Nope, for me, that's absolute no. I haven't put my story on the site, but even if I did and someone reviews it, there must be some spicy reviews that will discourage me. I'm a person with a weak heart that easily got bashed, so yeah ..., nope, nothing can go about it. Heck, it is better if they just leave spicy critics in the comment, I can at least delete those.

Leti

Reviews need to be approved by mods before it can be seen by everyone. Locking chapters behind reviews would force the mods to repeat the same process equals to the amount of obligated users and novel.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
it would be great if a reader was prompted, after reading a couple chapters, if they would be interested to leave a review. I've published two books, and working on a new project, and despite several likes and ratings I've noticed no one seems to ever want to leave a review.
Open shilling and shamelessness is the way to go. NEVER attempt to win the business over the kindness of the readers. You see them as valued admirers of your art; they see you as another cattle on the farm to have content milked out of.

You want that review? Either plaster that shit onto their faces, or actively ask for it in this forum. Yeah, go to Story Feedback, make a thread, and cross your fingers hoping to get it. You might even need to review swap if you ever want it.

I've been posting my shit for two years and all I got for myself is 2 reviews. I've posted other works but they don't count; I literally asked for them on my knees with their dicks in my mouth. As for those said two reviews, I made shilling posts on the forum. Twice, to be specific. That's how you're gonna get any trustable feedback.

Other than that, unless you're writing the MOST POPULAR of genres and tags/posting every 2 days, you're shit out of luck. Quality of craft and networking, though somewhat interconnected, are as mutually exclusive as they get.

It isn't as hard as finding a crying crocodile but I wouldn't hold my hopes for it.

D

Deleted member 49654

Reviews need to be approved by mods before it can be seen by everyone. Locking chapters behind reviews would force the mods to repeat the same process equals to the amount of obligated users and novel.
It was just an example. Otherwise, it is hard to force someone to write a review for you.

D

Deleted member 45782

I don't think it should be an obligation. Just like how I tend to find Rate this app pop-ups annoying on certain apps.
You could ask readers to give you a review in like say an author's note.

This suggestion isn't that great because:
  1. For some of us, we do not like rating or reviewing a story on how good it is until we are completely finished reading it. The first few chapters can be very good, and then we rate it, only for the story to go downhill after that, which also means our reviews no longer accurately reflect how we perceive the story.
  2. Maybe forcing all readers to write a review/rate might make people decide to not bothering signing in to read your story, so you get more viewing your story, but not readers reading your story because they don't want to deal with the pop-up. Maybe more views, but less readers which is not what one wants.
  3. Exactly at what chapter or part of the way the story should get the pop-up rate or review my story? If not implemented correctly, it can cause constant pop-up to readers to review the story, which may annoy those who are reading the story, and this ties in with #1 and #2. Of course, it can be easy fix, if its only set to pop-up to a reader to review once, but if that is implemented that way and correctly.
  4. Forcing people to review your story may also lead to some who troll your story or just write unhelpful, useless, spam, or just bad reviews in general that don't reflect the actual quality of the story and what goes on in the story.
If one had suggested that all who rate the story must also write the story's review, whether that was good or bad story to them, then might agree on that because it helps rather than just people leaving any rating they wish without properly explaining why and can deter random trolls who just wanna give bad stars -much easier for trolls to be outed this way. (But that would go for all ratings and reviews, both positive and critical of the story, and some writers do not wish to hear the flaws of their story).

Last edited by a moderator: