August 2019 Updates

Tony

Staff member
August just ended and I doubt many people actually check the change log so I figured I should make a summary for those who doesn't want to stalk the change log :blob_okay:. There's a lot of boring bug fixes so I won't list those here. Aside from bug fixes, here are some new features you may have missed:
  • New Series Ranking: Rising. This is not live yet on the main page but it's currently working. It needs more time to gather data and I'll need some time to see if it's working properly before it gets moved to the main trending page of the site. The new rank is based on pageviews, comments, favorites and the number of readers you've gained during this period. It takes two different periods (days or weeks depending on your selection) and find out how much the series has grown during that period.
  • Shortcut for [Previous] and [Next] links - The shortcut key [ctrl] + [<-] will go back a previous chapter while [ctrl] + [->] will take you to the next chapter.
  • Set Relationship Between Series - You can set relationships (Adapted From, Prequel, Sequel, Side Story, Spin-Off, Alternative Story and Shared Universe) between the novels that you've written. If you want to see an example, click here and scroll down to "Related Series".
    related-ss.jpg
  • New Stats for Displaying The Series - A red "Completed" tag will be shown for novels that are completed so it'll stand out. I also added two new stats "Author" and "Last Updated" while I was at it.
    ss-2.jpg
If you have any ideas for new features, please head over to https://forum.scribblehub.com/forums/suggestions-bug-reports.5/ and make a new thread there. Even though I can't reply to every thread, I read everything there. I'll do my best to implement those features.

On that note, thanks for sticking around and advertising the site to your friends! I really appreciate it!!! Even though the forums isn't super active, the main site (https://www.scribblehub.com/) has been growing really well which gives me a lot of motivation to keep improving it :blob_party:

Last edited by a moderator:

UnknownSaint171

That’s cool. To think these small details make one want to write more on here. It’s looking more and more professional.
I’m sure people will be using the ‘relationship’ function now 😄

I wonder to what it’ll evolve in the end? I hope you can find a way to grant writers more visibility in the near future

Sonneillor

August just ended and I doubt many people actually check the change log so I figured I should make a summary for those who doesn't want to stalk the change log :blob_okay:.

It is true that I almost didn't use the change log, I had even forgotten that it existed :blob_whistle:

• New Series Ranking: Rising. This is not live yet on the main page but it's currently working. It needs more time to gather data and I'll need some time to see if it's working properly before it gets moved to the main trending page of the site. The new rank is based on pageviews, comments, favorites and the number of readers you've gained during this period. It takes two different periods (days or weeks depending on your selection) and find out how much the series has grown during that period.

What will happen with the monthly ranking and the all ranking? Will they ever come back?

• Set Relationship Between Series - You can set relationships (Adapted From, Prequel, Sequel, Side Story, Spin-Off, Alternative Story and Shared Universe) between the novels that you've written. If you want to see an example, click here and scroll down to "Related Series".

This is great for me! :blob_aww: Although I have not yet uploaded my novels since I am still translating them into English :sweating_profusely: since they are 3 parallel novels and a spin off. :blob_teehee:

This leads to my last question. Could a side story also be an alternative story? :blob_hmm_two:
Because one of my stories is a parallel story that becomes an alternative story later.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Lol I would rather you not put an warning but this time I am grateful you did! :blobrofl: BL doesn't need any warning right @Tony? :blobspearpeek: BL isn't a bad thing! It's an inside joke lol:sweating_profusely:

Thanks for your stories author San! I like your bl stories! :blob_party:
It really doesn't but I'd feel more shameless if I admitted it's advertising 😄 (Because how else do I call the fujoshis and fudanshis over to the right place? 😜)

This leads to my last question. Could a side story also be an alternative story? :blob_hmm_two:
Because one of my stories is a parallel story that becomes an alternative story later.
I'll have a similar issue with a prequel that's actually a spin-off so I see the problem. I'd say go with whatever fits it more. E.g. if the beginning is the same (with same characters) but it branches off later, I'd say it's an alternative story more since that's where the difference would be even though the beginning is parallel.

In that regard ... @Tony , would it be possible to have a small info box in the misc tab where the options are explained? I had a discussion with a fellow writer the other day too about what qualifies as what. If there were some short definitions, that might make it easier for people to decide.

Ninetailed_Furball

Oh, nice to see the new ranking system! How long until you'll be replacing the current trending list with it anyways? I wanna know how long I have until I have to say goodbye to the front page forever. :blob_teary:

That said, which of the two versions are you planning on putting on the front page @Tony ? Or maybe you haven't decided yet?

Happy about the new stats in the list as well. Nice to have a better idea about the stories without having to click into them! :blobthumbsup:

Tony

Staff member
That’s cool. To think these small details make one want to write more on here. It’s looking more and more professional.
I’m sure people will be using the ‘relationship’ function now 😄

I wonder to what it’ll evolve in the end? I hope you can find a way to grant writers more visibility in the near future

It will only 'end' if people stop supporting the site. Supporting = authors adding new stories and users reading on the site. I mean take a look at https://www.novelupdates.com/. It's been four years and I'm still adding updates to it. The last big update was last month.

Rather than the end, I'm curious how SH will look like in a few years from now.

It is true that I almost didn't use the change log, I had even forgotten that it existed :blob_whistle:

Don't worry. It's totally fine lol. No one really checks the change logs.

What will happen with the monthly ranking and the all ranking? Will they ever come back?

Monthly and all time ranking is still there for other type of rankings. It just doesn't exist for the "Rising" rank.

That's up to you to decide. You're the author of the stories that you write :blobthumbsup:. I'm just providing the tools but I don't see why you can't do it that way?

In that regard ... @Tony , would it be possible to have a small info box in the misc tab where the options are explained? I had a discussion with a fellow writer the other day too about what qualifies as what. If there were some short definitions, that might make it easier for people to decide.

That's true. I'll add that when I can. I kinda already just started working on a new feature for SH... :sweating_profusely:

Oh, nice to see the new ranking system! How long until you'll be replacing the current trending list with it anyways? I wanna know how long I have until I have to say goodbye to the front page forever. :blob_teary:

That said, which of the two versions are you planning on putting on the front page @Tony ? Or maybe you haven't decided yet?

Happy about the new stats in the list as well. Nice to have a better idea about the stories without having to click into them! :blobthumbsup:

It'll be at least months before I replace the current trending list. I want to make sure the new "Rising" rank works good enough before it gets moved to the front page. As for which versions, I still haven't decided yet.

Das

August just ended and I doubt many people actually check the change log so I figured I should make a summary for those who doesn't want to stalk the change log :blob_okay:. There's a lot of boring bug fixes so I won't list those here. Aside from bug fixes, here are some new features you may have missed:
  • Shortcut for [Previous] and [Next] links - The shortcut key [ctrl] + [<-] will go back a previous chapter while [ctrl] + [->] will take you to the next chapter.
  • New Stats for Displaying The Series - A red "Completed" tag will be shown for novels that are completed so it'll stand out. I also added two new stats "Author" and "Last Updated" while I was at it.
If you have any ideas for new features, please head over to https://forum.scribblehub.com/forums/suggestions-bug-reports.5/ and make a new thread there. Even though I can't reply to every thread, I read everything there. I'll do my best to implement those features.

On that note, thanks for sticking around and advertising the site to your friends! I really appreciate it!!! Even though the forums isn't super active, the main site (https://www.scribblehub.com/) has been growing really well which gives me a lot of motivation to keep improving it :blob_party:
cough cough like whore! cough

Etzoli

• Shortcut for [Previous] and [Next] links - The shortcut key [ctrl] + [<-] will go back a previous chapter while [ctrl] + [->] will take you to the next chapter
Can you please disable this hotkey if a comment field is selected, or some other method to detect if the user's down in comments? I've lost a comment twice now after typing it out, since I tried to use Ctrl-Left Arrow to move back in my text and edit something, but the page jumped back to the previous chapter instead. Could also auto-save comment text if this isn't viable, so at least it isn't lost, but preventing this functionality would be better.

Or try to find another hotkey, I suppose, but Chrome uses a lot and Windows uses a lot too, so I know that's hard to find something actually free.

Tony

Staff member
Can you please disable this hotkey if a comment field is selected, or some other method to detect if the user's down in comments? I've lost a comment twice now after typing it out, since I tried to use Ctrl-Left Arrow to move back in my text and edit something, but the page jumped back to the previous chapter instead. Could also auto-save comment text if this isn't viable, so at least it isn't lost, but preventing this functionality would be better.

Or try to find another hotkey, I suppose, but Chrome uses a lot and Windows uses a lot too, so I know that's hard to find something actually free.

I fixed this the other day. Are you still having problems with this?

Link to the fix: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threa...apters-when-writing-a-comment.1013/post-17326

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
@Tony was it possible to have a Random Novel generator on scribblehub just like in NU?

Etzoli

I fixed this the other day. Are you still having problems with this?

Link to the fix: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/ctrl-←-→-switches-chapters-when-writing-a-comment.1013/post-17326

Ah, looks like I hadn't tried it again since the fix came out. Thanks for the heads up. All good now.

(the lack of unified notifications between the forum and the main site is a bit troublesome, but that's more of a feature request than a bug :P)

edit: ugh. why does every forum have automatic smileys. if i want a smiley i'll put a smiley in. let me use my emoticons ;-;

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Ah, looks like I hadn't tried it again since the fix came out. Thanks for the heads up. All good now.

(the lack of unified notifications between the forum and the main site is a bit troublesome, but that's more of a feature request than a bug :p)

edit: ugh. why does every forum have automatic smileys. if i want a smiley i'll put a smiley in. let me use my emoticons ;-;
You dissin' our blobs? :blob_thor:

That said, maybe Tony can disable the normal smileys since BLOBS ARE OBJECTIVELY SUPERIOR TO SMILEYS @Tony