Implemented AUTHORS CHAT IN DISC

TwilightForest

Being myself
@Tony, can you allow authors to create groups in addition to the existing single general authors chat? It's not creating division, it's just that the general chat will get too crowded too soon and some greenie writers are not so confident in joining there.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
@Tony, can you allow authors to create groups instead of a single general authors chat? It's not creating division, it's just that the general chat will get too crowded too soon and some greenie writers are not so confident in joining there.

That's something you'll have to ask @Aster. I'm not taking care of the discord server at all. @Aster is in charge of everything over there.

(Thanks @Aster!)

TwilightForest

Being myself
That's something you'll have to ask @Aster. I'm not taking care of the discord server at all. @Aster is in charge of everything over there.

(Thanks @Aster!)
Thank you, Tony!

@Tony, can you allow authors to create groups instead of a single general authors chat? It's not creating division, it's just that the general chat will get too crowded too soon and some greenie writers are not so confident in joining there.
@Aster, can I place the same request to you, please?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Just to add onto the suggestion:
1. Probably best to create a new category for the groups, include channels for group rules and group info so everyone know what the groups are for.
2. Should add requirement or a limit on the amount of groups cause you don't want to have too many channels that will be hard to moderate.

TwilightForest

Being myself
1. Probably best to create a new category for the groups, include channels for group rules and group info so everyone know what the groups are for.
2. Should add requirement or a limit on the amount of groups cause you don't want to have too many channels that will be hard to moderate.
I agree with you there. If @Aster approves the idea, she can decide on the layout and general rules there.

Aster

Staff member

(Thanks @Aster!)
o7
@Tony, can you allow authors to create groups in addition to the existing single general authors chat? It's not creating division, it's just that the general chat will get too crowded too soon and some greenie writers are not so confident in joining there.
@Aster, can I place the same request to you, please?
What type of division? A channel for new writers who just want to see if their idea is plausible? So potentially a channel just for feedback?

If a new channel is created, the same authors would still have access to that channel unless a new role is made for new writers. But then that would defeat the purpose of receiving feedback from the more experienced writers.
New category for groups? Do you mean a new role? Or a new category for the channels for example: Authors > General Chat > Feedback > up-and-coming-writers etc?

Again, amount of groups? As in the different roles? Authors currently have one role and they have access to all channels as a whole, so unless a new role is created there won't be a limit.
I agree with you there. If @Aster approves the idea, she can decide on the layout and general rules there.
General rules are in the #welcome-board but I'll need to think on whatever channels that may be potentially added.

Wait, do the both of you have any channel ideas/suggestions?

Edit:
Perhaps you need a mentor? Well, I have requested @Aster to allow us to create individual author groups at SH Disc. I understand that the general author's chat there won't help newbies much.
It's worded much better here ^-^;;;

A mentor group!

Interesting...

Comments on mentor groups? How many; should they have different roles like mentor etc; how to judge a mentor?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Wait, do the both of you have any channel ideas/suggestions?

Yeah I do have some,

1. Advertisement/Recommendation channel (authors will be asking for one sooner or later.)
2. Editor/Proofreader request - people can look for editing and pr-ing jobs while authors can post for requests
3. Media Sharing channel
4. Channel to show all the new forum thread made
5. More Voice Channel
6. Competition channel - someone can post a prompt and everyone write a story around it and then voting can take place.

Regarding to earlier question, I was thinking about allowing certain groups to be formed and let them have their own channel in the server. That's what I meant by limiting on groups made. New group made should all server a purpose: Editing group, Art group, mentor group and etc. There should be a new category for Groups and they would have their channels in the Group/Clans/Houses category. Official members would have their own roles corresponding to the said group.

Last edited:

TwilightForest

Being myself
Yeah I do have some,

1. Advertisement/Recommendation channel (authors will be asking for one sooner or later.
2. Editor/Proofreader request - people can look for editing and pr-ing jobs while authors can post for requests
3. Media Sharing channel
5. More Voice Channel
6. Competition channel - someone can post a print and everyone write a story around it and then voting can take place.

Regarding to earlier question, I was thinking about allowing certain groups to be formed and let them have their own channel in the server. That's what I meant by limiting on groups made. New group made should all server a purpose: Editing group, Art group, mentor group and etc. There should be a new category for Groups and they would have their channels in the Group/Clans/Houses category. Official members would have their own roles corresponding to the said group.
@Alverost has already explained it elaborately.
I am more concerned about mentoring and helping new writers. That will help bring out quality works and also help in grooming quality writers.
I want SH to have a vision. There's no darth of hosting sites in web. But there's definitely a lack of well organized sites which try to raise promising writers who can provide good reading stuff.

I'm taking the risk of double posting here :))
@Aster mentioned new writers who may want to see if their ideas are plausible.
No, for that kind of thing they will need a general chat room. I did it in RR general chat and that was quite an eye opener.

Aster

Staff member
Yeah I do have some,

1. Advertisement/Recommendation channel (authors will be asking for one sooner or later.)
3. Media Sharing channel
5. More Voice Channel
6. Competition channel - someone can post a prompt and everyone write a story around it and then voting can take place.

1. In the works!
2. I think the forum might be more suitable for this. Discord is rather fast paced and posts can easily become lost.
3. In the works!
4. Good point! I'll go look for the rss feed!
5. Such as ones for editors to work with authors or just for authors to chat with each other?
6. Again, I think it's easier to keep track of the prompts in a thread on SHF. We had story/poem prompts in NUF and the first post was used to keep track of all the prompts and everyone's submissions. If you want I can show you some examples!

Somehow those roles sound more complex than my lovely simple 'author' 'reader' roles!

If there was an editing group what would be their purpose? To help each other improve in editing?
Same for the art group.
I understand the mentor group but how many would be in this group? How would people who want to be mentored find them?

I find groups terribly hard to organise :eek:
@Alverost has already explained it elaborately.
I am more concerned about mentoring and helping new writers. That will help bring out quality works and also help in grooming quality writers.
I want SH to have a vision. There's no darth of hosting sites in web. But there's definitely a lack of well organized sites which try to raise promising writers who can provide good reading stuff.

I'm taking the risk of double posting here :))
@Aster mentioned new writers who may want to see if their ideas are plausible.
No, for that kind of thing they will need a general chat room. I did it in RR general chat and that was quite an eye opener.
Yes, but how? We can add in a new channel but who can join? Anyone? Or should it be limited to those who have the 'newbie writer' tag and mentors who want/have the time to help are in that channel too? So new writers would be able to ask for help and receive an answer in a less intimidating setting.

Actually, receiving feedback on the forum is another idea. If you want help/feedback etc, you post up a chapter/prompt etc and authors/readers will give feedback/tips within their thread.

Discord really isn't an organised site. It's great for chatting but not so great in keeping records of those discussions imo.

Thanks for your suggestions though! I really need to add in two of them soon.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
1. In the works!
2. I think the forum might be more suitable for this. Discord is rather fast paced and posts can easily become lost.
3. In the works!
5. Such as ones for editors to work with authors or just for authors to chat with each other?
6. Again, I think it's easier to keep track of the prompts in a thread on SHF. We had story/poem prompts in NUF and the first post was used to keep track of all the prompts and everyone's submissions. If you want I can show you some examples!

Somehow those roles sound more complex than my lovely simple 'author' 'reader' roles!

If there was an editing group what would be their purpose? To help each other improve in editing?
Same for the art group.
I understand the mentor group but how many would be in this group? How would people who want to be mentored find them?

Yes, but how? We can add in a new channel but who can join? Anyone? Or should it be limited to those who have the 'newbie writer' tag and mentors who want/have the time to help are in that channel too? So new writers would be able to ask for help and receive an answer in a less intimidating setting.

Actually, receiving feedback on the forum is another idea. If you want help/feedback etc, you post up a chapter/prompt etc and authors/readers will give feedback/tips within their thread.

Discord really isn't an organised site. It's great for chatting but not so great in keeping records of those discussions imo.

Regarding the editor/pr channel, it would be easier for a discord channel since it's more informal. It would be easier for author to talk to other editors/pr but of course people can still post threads.

Regarding the groups - Art group would basicslly be people who can help other author with cover art or character art. This can be commissioned or free depending on the artist. Editor/pr group is essentially a group of editor/or that author can contact to find someone to do editing/pr work.

How you could organise it:
Regarding the groups. Basically 3 roles, 3 Channels for each role and one category to fit them all in one. Artist, Editor, Mentors.

TwilightForest

Being myself
1. In the works!
3. In the works!

Same for the art group.

You are right. Disc is for chatting and I personally don't like it much.
When I first came up with the idea, this forum was just coming up. Now i feel that threads here will do fine.
Mentoring is a rather personal thing. It will require one to one interaction. But can there be not groups in Disc just to point out their existence to the newbies?
There can be an Art group similar to RR. Even in NUF some of my friends created threads for posting art work. The solution can be a group in Disc for chats and threads here for the serious jobs.
Please advertise your Authors only channel in general SH disc and mention the eligibility criteria. There's a same thing on RR disc.

Aster

Staff member
You are right. Disc is for chatting and I personally don't like it much.
When I first came up with the idea, this forum was just coming up. Now i feel that threads here will do fine.
Mentoring is a rather personal thing. It will require one to one interaction. But can there be not groups in Disc just to point out their existence to the newbies?
There can be an Art group similar to RR. Even in NUF some of my friends created threads for posting art work. The solution can be a group in Disc for chats and threads here for the serious jobs.
Please advertise your Authors only channel in general SH disc and mention the eligibility criteria. There's a same thing on RR disc.
True I personally don't like bloated tags (it's fun collecting them as a reader though!).

I wonder though...if you want to be mentored, would having a personal dm be better? Or would that defeat the purpose of the discord? But then again the public discord channel is just that, public...

So a chat for the artists? Only the artists? But we're a writing site!

Ah well the eligibility criteria is that you're an author on SH. So they'll know once they ask for an author tag! Do you think I should be more blatant?

Aster

Staff member
Regarding the editor/pr channel, it would be easier for a discord channel since it's more informal. It would be easier for author to talk to other editors/pr but of course people can still post threads.

Regarding the groups - Art group would basicslly be people who can help other author with cover art or character art. This can be commissioned or free depending on the artist. Editor/pr group is essentially a group of editor/or that author can contact to find someone to do editing/pr work.

How you could organise it:
Regarding the groups. Basically 3 roles, 3 Channels for each role and one category to fit them all in one. Artist, Editor, Mentors.
So you want something separated from the #general channel so it's a bit less chaotic?

Having the roles but not the personnel would make them redundant right now. But I'll keep a tab on those and see how the server looks in the near future.

I'll go through the suggestions again at a later time and see if/how they'll improve the flow of the server.

TwilightForest

Being myself
True I personally don't like bloated tags (it's fun collecting them as a reader though!).

I wonder though...if you want to be mentored, would having a personal dm be better? Or would that defeat the purpose of the discord? But then again the public discord channel is just that, public...

So a chat for the artists? Only the artists? But we're a writing site!

Ah well the eligibility criteria is that you're an author on SH. So they'll know once they ask for an author tag! Do you think I should be more blatant?
I have my personal disc servers for niche group/personal chats, but that's outside SH:)
Art channels/threads are required for cover and inside works. They are absolutely necessary.
For getting into authors only disc chat at SH I had to request Tony. That was a bit clumsy you know. A lot of new writers here even don't know about it.
At RR they declare it at general chat. To get entry there you need to publish 20k words or 72 pages.

Last edited:

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
For getting into authors only disc chat at SH I had to request Tony. That was a bit clumsy you know. A lot of new writers here even don't know about it.
I've been making sure people know where to find the lounge on the main page. Even then it's hard to find it.

Aster

Staff member
I have my personal disc servers for niche group/personal chats, but that's outside SH:)
Art channels/threads are required for cover and inside works. They are absolutely necessary.
At RR they declare it at general chat. To get entry there you need to publish 20k words or 72 chapters.
So an art channel to post artwork for covers? Or an art channel to request coverart?

Well actually you could have just pinged a discord mod on the discord server. It was written in the channel topic. New writers don't know about the discord server or getting the author role?

I made a #role channel!

You mean they pinned it in the pins? I did write it in the channel topic but I guess it's hard to notice.
I've been making sure people know where to find the lounge on the main page. Even then it's hard to find it.
Lounge?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
The Lounge is the only place you can find the Discord link on the main site.

So an art channel to post artwork for covers? Or an art channel to request coverart?
Basically, an art channel where people can post requests. However, I don't think SH need a channel like that considering SHF is here.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I think we could have one channel dedicated to all the important forum threads that a new author would need: Cover Art Request, Editor/PR Requests and Mentor Request. It would definitely make use the Forum and link the forum with discord. @Aster And it would mean the discord server would be less clunky.

Aster

Staff member
Basically, an art channel where people can post requests. However, I don't think SH need a channel like that considering SHF is here.
I think we could have one channel dedicated to all the important forum threads that a new author would need: Cover Art Request, Editor/PR Requests and Mentor Request. It would definitely make use the Forum and link the forum with discord. @Aster And it would mean the discord server would be less clunky.
Great suggestion!

Less clunky server is a good server!

Do we have those threads yet?