Authors ruining their stories with terrible romance

RootBeerBert

Was definitely popular growing up
So I was laying in bed on scribble hub and then I started thinking about romance and how some authors end up ruining their stories because of it. I know everyone has their own genres they like and do well in so they won’t be good in everything but why do some just make the things their bad at a major point in their stories? Like if the story focuses on fighting or action (which they’re good at) and a quarter or even half an arc is dedicated to romance (which they’re awful at it) ruins the story, it can bring an 8/10 down to a 7/10 or even a 6/10. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:

WanderingSwordNuub

Society traditionally puts marriage up on a pedestal as dogma. It used to be more necessary for people to come together in order to support each other but with our technological advancements and the population bursting,it is no longer a priority to have romantic experience to write about a popular topic like romance. It goes without saying that many people IRL are now lonely and isolated due to the internet and it's impacts on social interaction which is why romance IS popular. People are in love with the idea of being in love.

Maldon

As an author who plans to insert romance into my cultivation story, I personally think it's a good way to tie the mc more into the story and world and also also to flesh them out a little more, instead of the mc just being a power hungry weirdo.

As for the quality of these romance plots, I think that the authors might not think too much about it, and just see it as another part of power fantasy, and since they don't think too much about it, they end up fucking it up.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Society traditionally puts marriage up on a pedestal as dogma. It used to be more necessary for people to come together in order to support each other but with our technological advancements and the population bursting,it is no longer a priority to have romantic experience to write about a popular topic like romance. It goes without saying that many people IRL are now lonely and isolated due to the internet and it's impacts on social interaction which is why romance IS popular. People are in love with the idea of being in love.
Along with propaganda causing this shift.

LordJoyde

Honestly, yes.

I wish people who were never in any romance would just go some disney princess route and make a 'romance' where nothing bad happens ever. That would, at least, be more bearable than the edgelord, angst-overfed fiestas that happen in stories these days.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Along with propaganda causing this shift.
You mean how marriage is nothing but a ceremony for the woman to gain ownership of your future financial assets if she one day decides she's "not happy" anymore? Oh, and how divorce courts will back the woman's rape and molestation of the man's net worth, future social and professional prospects as long as she puts on a little water works show in trial? And probably even without the crying. Courts just won't defend a man against a woman.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
So I was laying in bed on scribble hub and then I started thinking about romance and how some authors end up ruining their stories because of it. I know everyone has their own genres they like and do well in so they won’t be good in everything but why do some just make the things their bad at a major point in their stories? Like if the story focuses on fighting or action (which they’re good at) and a quarter or even half an arc is dedicated to romance (which they’re awful author is terr at it) ruins the story, it can bring an 8/10 down to a 7/10 or even a 6/10. Anyone else have this problem?
Romance is tricky to do well because it requires correct pacing to work, you can't rush it and you can't prolong it for so long. I don't think a bad romance can ruin an otherwise excellent book, but it is jarring at the very least. I am personally playing it safe and won't include romance in my first book, only the seeds for it. I'm planning, however, to try it in my second book, but since I'm still struggling with the first one there is plenty of time for that.

I think the basic element for a good romance is the chemistry between the love interests. If there isn't good chemistry then the romance looks forced, although it is still possible even for a couple to get together, you can see very clearly that something is odd.

SternenklarenRitter

You mean how marriage is nothing but a ceremony for the woman to gain ownership of your future financial assets if she one day decides she's "not happy" anymore?
Don't fool yourself. In its thousands of years of existence, marriage has never been anything other than an economic proposition (or diplomatic in a rare few examples). Naturally, the economic burden is shifted to whoever has the better economic prospects in the first place. The burden typically falling on men is a vestige of when economic opportunity was shockingly unequal between genders. My grandmother for example would not have been legally allowed to earn a wage in my country of residence for the first few years of her marriage to Grandpa, because of bans on working wives. Back then, it was expected for the husband to all but own the wife, in exchange for a lifelong promise of financial support. On the other hand, I know a few women personally who have been ruined financially by providing court mandated support to divorced unemployed alcoholic ex-husbands, so it does go both ways sometimes. Love exists regardless with or without marriage, but marriage functions absolutely functions as a financial contract.
More on topic, romance is particularly dependent on good character development. I suspect that many novice writers find it easier to develop plot at first instead, rather than the rich characters and complex relations required by romance. Personally, I do like romantic sub-plots, so badly written romantic subplots are a net zero. I am however rather frustrated that the protagonist is always the one to fall in love; I want to read a good wingman protagonist already!

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Romance is almost never explored properly by authors, because many authors for some reason equate romance to sex or sexual relations.

Romance is more deeper than skin deep lust. It is emotional attraction and companionship forged between individuals that bond each with other, it be one of the forms of love that can form.

I say this because love is not inherently romantic, but romance is inherently based in love.

Ilikewaterkusa

You mean how marriage is nothing but a ceremony for the woman to gain ownership of your future financial assets if she one day decides she's "not happy" anymore? Oh, and how divorce courts will back the woman's rape and molestation of the man's net worth, future social and professional prospects as long as she puts on a little water works show in trial? And probably even without the crying. Courts just won't defend a man against a woman.
Well until they introduce no fault divorce and stupid laws that basically cripple men, and scare off other men into not starting families.
Romance is almost never explored properly by authors, because many authors for some reason equate romance to sex or sexual relations.

Romance is more deeper than skin deep lust. It is emotional attraction and companionship forged between individuals that bond each with other, it be one of the forms of love that can form.

I say this because love is not inherently romantic, but romance is inherently based in love.
At least by the mainstream authors, who submit to that improper narrative for the sakes of sales, and sticking with the group. Degeneracy has been weaponized through the prospect of profits, and authors want a share of that wealth even if that wealth will come to being a vital risk to another.

“For a man, according to Evola, the highest ways belong to the Ascetic and the Warrior, corresponding to the Brahmin and Kshatriya castes respectively. Both these paths “affirm themselves in a life that is beyond life”, the former through jnana yoga, or total detachment, and the latter through bhakti yoga, or pure action. The woman, on the other hand, fulfills herself as Lover or as Mother. Note, here, that in Evola’s scheme the man can fulfill himself totally on his own, but a woman only in relation to a man. Through devotion to her lover or her son, a woman gives herself totally to another being, thereby fulfilling herself. Evola concludes this discussion:

To realize oneself in an ever more decisive way along: these two distinct and unmistakable directions, limiting in the woman everything that is man and in man everything that is woman, approaching the absolute man and the absolute woman – such is the traditional law for the sexes, according to the various planes of life.
Perhaps Evola did not exhaust all the roles since men can also be Fathers and some women are ascetics. Logically, it is necessary for men to be Fathers otherwise women could not be fulfilled as mothers. Even among the Kshatriyas, there is the archetype of the Judge who decides with perfect justice. The vaishyas are neglected, but there are many who through dedication to knowledge or service to the community can find fulfillment.

To return to the spectrum of the absolute man and woman, we are left wondering. For example, where do the Ascetic and Warrior sit on this spectrum? Guenon answers this question when he points out that the Brahmin is oriented to superhuman states while the Kshatriya (warrior) tends to the realization of all the possibilities of the human state. This makes it clear that the Ascetic is more transcendent than the Warrior.”
Absolute man Absolute woman

Discount_Blade

On the other hand, I know a few women personally who have been ruined financially by providing court mandated support to divorced unemployed alcoholic ex-husbands, so it does go both ways sometimes.
Can't say I have sympathy. They are rare exceptions in an otherwise female-dominated game. To say otherwise is to be a liar. And while yes, historically, marriage was a financial contract, it took on a more romantic notion beginning in the 1600's. It still has that romantic notion attached to it and it is the main reason people get married nowadays, supposed love. So mentioning what it's historical purpose was has no bearing on how it is used and abused today.

Last edited:

Ilikewaterkusa

Also not sure if your going against modern marriage or marriage as a whole, but here’s a video laying down the role of marriages

SternenklarenRitter

While people may get married for love, in practice it has only economic effects. People may call it a ceremony of love, but in the words of Mr. Shakespeare "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"; the effects of marriage are almost exclusively economic and legal, while social effects are rare and weak. Perhaps one reason so many marriages fail lately is that people go into it for love and romance but are blindsided by the financial implications.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Every story needs a little romance. In a roman sense. Conquest, poetry, myth, legend, romance is more than just love, it's a feeling, it's a vibe. Vibe check? Yeah sorry, but you don't have it. Authors need to explore and push their boundaries. I commend everyone who has tried and failed, rather than let themselves stew in mediocrity. That's poetic. And in some ways symbolic. Hyperbolic. Ironic. Yeah I'm an irony bro. Irony is the last bastion of true romance left. Don't let your dreams be dreams. That's romance. Just do it.

SternenklarenRitter

@Ilikewaterkusa Dang, what a depressing view on marriage. Marriage is about responsibility to kids? That inflexible view on gender too... Is he pretending intersex people don't exist? So much for 'it takes a village to raise a child.' This video seems more like an excuse not to help impoverished families, in a "they knew what they were getting into by marrying so they have to care for their kids on their own." sort of way.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
@Ilikewaterkusa Dang, what a depressing view on marriage. Marriage is about responsibility to kids? That inflexible view on gender too... Is he pretending intersex people don't exist? So much for 'it takes a village to raise a child.' This video seems more like an excuse not to help impoverished families, in a "they knew what they were getting into by marrying so they have to care for their kids on their own." sort of way.
Intersex people are like 1 in a million so that's kind of a stupid point to bring up.

SternenklarenRitter

For people diagnosed it's about that, but a number of intersex conditions are outwardly conforming to a typical gender, and most of the rest also have adult appearances that can range into 'passing' for one sex or another, so intersex is actually rather underdiagnosed. It's not actually known how common some of the more subtle conditions are, especially since many of them are caused by genetics traits limited to small geographic areas. The difference between 'fertility problems' and 'intersex' is also extremely fuzzy.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
For people diagnosed it's about that, but a number of intersex conditions are outwardly conforming to a typical gender, and most of the rest also have adult appearances that can range into 'passing' for one sex or another, so intersex is actually rather underdiagnosed. It's not actually known how common some of the more subtle conditions are, especially since many of them are caused by genetics traits limited to small geographic areas. The difference between 'fertility problems' and 'intersex' is also extremely fuzzy.
Like all of this shit isn't even real lol

Discount_Blade

Like all of this shit isn't even real lol
Yeah, I get so sick of these delusional fucks. You're "fee-fee's" don't make you another gender. Gender dysphoria is just a mental sickness, nothing physically real about it. Wish people get their heads out of Fantasia or wherever the hell they got this nonsense from. Or if they must continue believing in it, stop trying to make others participate in their falsehood. Believe whatever you like, but stop trying to rope others into your madness.
Intersex people are like 1 in a million so that's kind of a stupid point to bring up.
Not even 1 in a million. Even rarer than that. Of course, no one likes to mention that little tidbit. The vast majority of so-called intersex people are just those with mental health imbalances.

Last edited:

Ilikewaterkusa

Yes marriage is solely about responsibility to children, as that is the fundamental apotheosis of natural law, and such distortion of such views is paramountly heresy. They don't, there's no gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, furry, or pedophile gene. If you think it's an excuse to not help impoverished families watch it again. And beside,s MOST people will voluntarily impoverish themselves with the material and ethereal, they sacrifice the transcendent of duty, fatherland, faith, and family to every fleeting orgies, tasteless sweets, and fading fantasies. If an individual of such distinction has children it must be that they either reform, or have their children seized and placed up for adoption under a based figure.